Previous and Next post buttons ...

Hi,

Had an idea for a while, when I am browsing topics in SOTT , I have thought it would be nice and convenient to have buttons for the previous post and the next post, to avoid always having to browse back to the main or category head to choose another article to read.

Is this possible?

Eric

Although i would agree its a good idea, making it more user friendly, id have to say that it isn't really necessary and many people are happy skipping back and forth. So it wouldn't benefit people a hell of a lot, thus possibly wasting some time and energy to edit and apply it.

Though i would like to see the SOTT guys voice something about it aswell as to why they implement certain changes and not others :)

Thanks for the reply. It's also because our internet down here is pretty bad at times, and it would be nice :)

PS: It's really bad. "There’s no denying the sad truth that is South Africa’s internet speed. We are far too accustomed to blank screens with loading symbols and pages taking yonks to respond." Too true :cry:

IncenDiary said:
Hi,

Had an idea for a while, when I am browsing topics in SOTT , I have thought it would be nice and convenient to have buttons for the previous post and the next post, to avoid always having to browse back to the main or category head to choose another article to read.

Is this possible?

It's certainly possible, but the reason we don't have this feature is because it becomes a bit hairy under the hood. Specifically, there is the problem of keeping the links up to date when articles are added, edited, or removed (based on when each article was posted and/or displayed). There is also an issue related to our caching system, which is a bit more OCD than what most sites use.

It's a trade-off. Of course, now you got me thinking about it again, so maybe some bright idea will hit me. ;)

Back
Top Bottom