WiFi or...

IronFloyd

Jedi Master
FOTCM Member
Hello, I'm writing to tell you that I'm in somewhat domestic dilemma, and it may even seem a little silly, but I think it's no less important because it's something that has been discussed a lot in SOTT and forum, and It has to do with the WIFI. It happens that at this time I'm out of work for several months, without any money in my pocket (or very little, not to exaggerate), but don't want to be without internet because it's a good way to get information on SOTT, RT, SOTT Radio and others of interest.

Currently I have internet access (ethernet) since 2005 with the same company, and are about get it out, for the reason that "non-payment", but I could extend the internet service for two more months, I mean, I have some money for it, but if I spending on it, I will be underfunded, due to my precarious economic situation, along with this, another Internet company offers me a lower price, but with WIFI obviously, because no company currently installed otherwise than Internet WIFI, then the questions are:

1) I take the WiFi option is more economical?

or

2) I make an effort and maintain at all costs the option of internet with ethernet cable?

Regarding the first option many people have told me that, ultimately, we are surrounded by these frequencies, especially myself, that I live in apartment building, so to have or not, WIFI inside of my house does not influence too. And finally about this, there are ways to cushion the effects of wifi inside a house ?, or is definitely best left out and use ethernet cable?? thank you very much for reading, and possible assistance or advices, cheers!

pd: sorry about my "english".

Hi IronFloyd, I'm interested in this issue too, in my case beside of my inside WiFi I'm surrounded with WiFi all the time (according the list of detected available connection) from neighbors and downstairs shop, also there is a provider office who provides free WiFi outside.

Unfortunately I have not read SOTT articles on the subject yet, but the only thing I suppose might be useful here is to turn off all WiFi connections on devices (tablets, phones, laptops, etc) for night time.

s-kur said:
Hi IronFloyd, I'm interested in this issue too, in my case beside of my inside WiFi I'm surrounded with WiFi all the time (according the list of detected available connection) from neighbors and downstairs shop, also there is a provider office who provides free WiFi outside.

Unfortunately I have not read SOTT articles on the subject yet, but the only thing I suppose might be useful here is to turn off all WiFi connections on devices (tablets, phones, laptops, etc) for night time.

Yes!, well, I've read several article on SOTT in Spanish, about how harmful is the wifi frequency, and I also practically don't use mobile phones, but I live in an old apartment building, so I can see in my computer the different signals strenght from my neighbors, some of which come with great force, so more than anything, that's why I wonder, or if there are alternatives, still I think it may be worse to have it directly into the apartment, or whether there are ways to reduce the frequency from the router or something, or reduce signal, at least similar to the signal strength of a neighbor, I mean, without so much potency.

Hi IronFloyd

in the best of worlds you would keep the Ethernet connection and not use WiF,i but if economics dictate a reduction in connection fees, you could manage the WIFi connection. As s-kur mentioned you could power the router off at night or in fact, power it down whenever you are not using the internet. Unfortunately, it sounds as though wireless is ubiquitous where you are so you are being exposed to radiation no matter what you do. At least if you turn off your router when you are not using it, you can minimise the strength of the exposure

Thanks Flashgordonv and s-kur for the tips, I've until after tomorrow to decide, as is the deadline for payment of the ethernet.. is pretty funny this dilemma that seems silly, but when there are economic pressures, and also you think this can affect third parties and yourself, it's all an issue... another thing that I'm wondering is if the intensity ratio that may adversely affect, It's proportional to the speed, because the wifi that I was offered to me, have a very low speed, and it doesn't problem for me, because I just need it to surf on internet at a basic level.

Reality sort of dictates your decision. Use the wifi and turn it off when not using it. It's true that we are surrounded by it though we can afford ourselves a little protection.

Yes, I have the same issue too. There are 5 wifi signals coming into my home from neighbours.

I've just had a new internet connection and router set up. There's no way to switch the wifi off on the router, but I've gone into an online settings menu and was able to switch it off that way. Not sure how yours would work but maybe that would be an option?

We are always surrounded by evil rays now, though. I guess I'd be interested to know how your diet is and if you look after your health etc. Only because for all the things that we have less control over, there's many things we have a lot of control over, so we need to focus on those.

T.C. said:
Yes, I have the same issue too. There are 5 wifi signals coming into my home from neighbours.

I've just had a new internet connection and router set up. There's no way to switch the wifi off on the router, but I've gone into an online settings menu and was able to switch it off that way. Not sure how yours would work but maybe that would be an option?

We are always surrounded by evil rays now, though. I guess I'd be interested to know how your diet is and if you look after your health etc. Only because for all the things that we have less control over, there's many things we have a lot of control over, so we need to focus on those.

I live in a building where all apartments have their own WIFI. At any time i have 10 to 14 different Wifi Signals from neighbours in my apartment.Its impossible to protect from that radiation. I also have wifi but i `m keeping it off all the time. I use it during the weekends for a few minutes and them i turn it off again.

I suggest using a cable , but if that is not an option for you then try to minimize your wifi as much as you can.In this overpolluted word every kind of protection is welcomed. A little investment in a cable is worth your health.

For routers which wifi cant be turned off its a good idea to put them in some kind of Faraday Cage. Put them in a metal box. With little experimentation you can block a good part of the signal

_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw9abglUU_Q

Thanks you so much for your advices Laura, TC and Konstantin, and curiosly, right between my last posting and this I write now, the company cut the ethernet signal, however, I found a very convenient location in my room where I get the WiFi signal from a friend who lives in front of my apartment, about 80 meters away, on the fourth floor (I live on the first floor), that my friend had previously shared with me, with his password, but I discarted because the signal was too weak, but now the signal and speed is better. But now are 5 o' clock in the morning here, and I'll have me on the duty to recommend to my friend that when he don't use the internet turn off the router. So I think is better that I would have my own internet signal, and on the other hand, if I 'm now connected to a signal that has always been there, as Laura says, when I have my own, I will have to find the way to cushion the signal inside my house, it is probably the router is having isolated with some special material? (good video about that Konstantin, thanks), cheers!. :lkj:

When living in an apartment with surrounding neighbours I think the only way to get completely away from WiFi signals would be to build a Faraday cage in your entire apartment. Which would be awesome, but rather insane. :lol:

Hi IronFloyd,

I think you received great advice. I have one question though (maybe my knowledge is not up-to-date here): If the company installs your internet access at you flat using a Wifi router, can't you just plug in an Ethernet cable and switch off the Wifi? Or do the new routers come without Ethernet plugs?

IronFloyd said:
Thanks Flashgordonv and s-kur for the tips, I've until after tomorrow to decide, as is the deadline for payment of the ethernet.. is pretty funny this dilemma that seems silly, but when there are economic pressures, and also you think this can affect third parties and yourself, it's all an issue... another thing that I'm wondering is if the intensity ratio that may adversely affect, It's proportional to the speed, because the wifi that I was offered to me, have a very low speed, and it doesn't problem for me, because I just need it to surf on internet at a basic level.

The way I understand it, the more speed you have, the wider the bandwidth used in the electromagnetic spectrum, the higher the health risk, so the low speed may help somewhat. Also, note that EM radiation diminishes exponentially with distance, so I think it's good practice to not get too close to the antenna, both of the Wifi router and of the Wifi device on your computer (i.e. don't put that laptop on your lap!).

I live in a building with dozen of apartments occupied only during the summer. During high season everyone in the neighborhood have Wi-Fi and the majority of signals are, unfortunately, on maximum 24/7, so it is pretty hard to do anything except to stay out of the building, and the whole village, as much possible.
My household have Wi-Fi but we use long UTP (Ethernet) cables for both of computers, in order to minimize radiation from it. The only problem is that my husband don't want to use UTP (although LAN connection is much faster than WLAN connection), he likes to be online via wireless connection both on lap top and IPhone (and doesn't care about Wi-Fi radiation and potential health dangers of it), so the button for the wireless connection is on during the day, and during the night the Wi-Fi is shut down.
I am really concerned about my husband's health, especially because he is more and more forgetful, moody and have problems with insomnia and exhaustion, the most dramatic changes occurred not long after he commenced to use IPhone as alarm clock and tablet, keeping it on the night table, 50 centimetres away form his head, actually he is constantly attached to some of the active wireless gadgets, and this is the fifth year of such situation.
If I could do it I would keep Wi-Fi turned off at all times, and use only UTP cables.

Yeah, I'd see if you could turn off the wifi router if you get one. I had a hard time turning one off from my provider and could still feel the wifi, so I bought a non wifi router. I did notice a difference with a box covered in aluminum foil on 5 sides. Although I could still feel it a little. Proximity helps too, so as far away as possible helps. There are paints and meshes that you can get to block emf, but that may not be practical for you.

My current router had wifi enabled by default. When I tried to log in and change the settings the "enable wireless" box was checked and grayed out so it couldn't be unchecked. I had to call the cable company and go through several representatives before someone could finally give me account information to be able to log into the router with the proper permissions to disable it. Now I keep it turned off and there is an LED on the router indicating if it gets turned on. Every so often the router will reboot itself and the wifi will be enabled by default when it comes back up so I keep an eye out for the LED coming on whenever I walk by.

The router has four ethernet ports where all of my internet goes through. One would think, if your internet is coming through some type of hard line into your house then there's a way to control whether or not it gets turned into wifi. If it's already wireless such as a cell phone signal then it would seem much more difficult to change. Maybe there is hardware to translate the cell phone signal to ethernet and it could be kept in a remote location attached to a long ethernet cable.

luc said:
Hi IronFloyd,

I think you received great advice. I have one question though (maybe my knowledge is not up-to-date here): If the company installs your internet access at you flat using a Wifi router, can't you just plug in an Ethernet cable and switch off the Wifi? Or do the new routers come without Ethernet plugs?

Hello Luc, the truth, is that I don't know so much about how it works exactly (wifi, routers, etc.), because since 2005 until today, I had only ethernet cable, with a "modem" called "Surf Board "Motorola, that simply you connected the ethernet cable and a coaxial cable, but yes, some people have told me that with the company that provides internet, you can connected ethernet cable with the router, but the truth I don´t understand how it works exactly, and although I don't think you can turn off the router when connecting to internet, I imagine that you can isolate the router leaving a small hole for the ethernet cable and get the signal (¿?). . the truth is that I will find out more about it.

luc said:
The way I understand it, the more speed you have, the wider the bandwidth used in the electromagnetic spectrum, the higher the health risk, so the low speed may help somewhat. Also, note that EM radiation diminishes exponentially with distance, so I think it's good practice to not get too close to the antenna, both of the Wifi router and of the Wifi device on your computer (i.e. don't put that laptop on your lap!).
It's good to know that, thanks Luc.

liffy, Eärwen, 3D Student and meta-agnostic, the truth, with what you tell, I can't help but look at the modem that I have almost like a relic and longing for a secure internet system that is almost not used, and further thinking that I can still save that connection, and continue with that, but unfortunately my economy situation does not allow me, but sometimes I even wonder, if will be good, go and pay the debt and continue the ethernet, and say, well, "God will provide!", although it's a little more expensive (even if the truth, is that not much more expensive than the wifi either), anyway, thanks to all!

Back
Top Bottom