colouring not just for kids!

This past summer, I had read about how coloring was becoming popular and that some doctor's offices had coloring books and crayons/pencils available to the waiting patients to ease their anxiety and stress. So I decided to buy one for myself, as I babysit for my grandaughter two days a week and sometimes her naps were extra long.

Coloring, it turns out for me, is very relaxing. And I was reminded of when my own daughter was very young and we would color together in the evening before she went to bed. Those memories of mine, from many years past, really made me happy and I intend to color with my grandaughter someday, when she is old enough!!! :) :) :)

I've noticed one of my roommates has started coloring; y'all seem to be on to something! When I get stressed out or just feel a spark of creativity I almost exclusively turn to writing or playing music, but that well has been a little dry lately so maybe coloring will help the creative juices charge :D.

Thanks for the thread Padme! I'm visiting my father in a few days so coloring might make the week a lot less stressful.

I have one of the mandala colouring books and I love it! It's very relaxing. Here's a couple that I've done.

Attachments

• WP_20160102_17_06_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160102_17_06_58_Pro.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 89
  • WP_20150816_19_44_33_Pro 1.jpg
    WP_20150816_19_44_33_Pro 1.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 83
:D they look lovely lainey! thanks for sharing!

:cheer:

I'm happy this type of therapy has helped!

Perri475 said:
I've noticed one of my roommates has started coloring; y'all seem to be on to something! When I get stressed out or just feel a spark of creativity I almost exclusively turn to writing or playing music, but that well has been a little dry lately so maybe coloring will help the creative juices charge :D.

Thanks for the thread Padme! I'm visiting my father in a few days so coloring might make the week a lot less stressful.

Im glad it helps Perri :D

Echo Blue said:
This past summer, I had read about how coloring was becoming popular and that some doctor's offices had coloring books and crayons/pencils available to the waiting patients to ease their anxiety and stress. So I decided to buy one for myself, as I babysit for my grandaughter two days a week and sometimes her naps were extra long.

Coloring, it turns out for me, is very relaxing. And I was reminded of when my own daughter was very young and we would color together in the evening before she went to bed. Those memories of mine, from many years past, really made me happy and I intend to color with my grandaughter someday, when she is old enough!!! :) :) :)

It's great to hear that Echo Blue! Im glad this alternative therapy's to deal with stress or in my case anxiety, have helped us to relax our minds :D

I'll keep you guys posted if i find more interesting articles about it :D

Download Free Colouring Books from World-Class Libraries & Museums: The New York Public Library, Bodleian, Smithsonian & More

http://www.openculture.com/2016/02/download-free-coloring-books-from-world-class-libraries-museums.html

I like the neon monk :D

itellsya said:
Download Free Colouring Books from World-Class Libraries & Museums: The New York Public Library, Bodleian, Smithsonian & More

http://www.openculture.com/2016/02/download-free-coloring-books-from-world-class-libraries-museums.html

:jawdrop: thanks so much for sharing itellsya, they look great! Hehe the neon monk looks funny.

I was wondering, maybe the colours we choose can relate with our emotions? I think it could be possible..

I got one of those mandala colouring books for my birthday and I really like it. I colour a bit at a time here and there. Eventually I'll finish one! I picked up some fine tip markers as well. These are the ones I have and they're really good. Tips are really fine which let you colour some pretty tiny spaces :cool: I ordered them off amazon but I've seen those and similar at art supply shops too.

51yOj3%2B1OtL.jpg

Marina9 said:
itellsya said:

:jawdrop: thanks so much for sharing itellsya, they look great! Hehe the neon monk looks funny.

I was wondering, maybe the colours we choose can relate with our emotions? I think it could be possible..

Thank you for starting this thread Marina9! Also awesome link itellsya , thank you too! Theres some pretty cool images in the link that you have provided itellsya. I have a few colouring books which are mainly flowers and mandalas, but the the old school woodcuts make a nice change.

The neon monk does look groovy:

While I like vibrant saturated colors, I also like subtle pastel colors. Thanks for sharing lainey! I like comic inking and watercolors, so I was thinking for practicing art, these coloring books could be used to practice ink linework and watercolors. And with watercolors, you can build up nice shades too. I'm pretty sure there are artists out there who offer pencil linework that you can ink and color yourself for practice.

Back
Top Bottom