Sicario (2015)

Eboard10 said:
Turgon said:
I got the impression that Alejandro, Benecio Del Toro's character, was part of the Colombian cartel. Throughout most of the movie he is always referred to as the lawyer, but near the end of the movie I remember a scene where either him or Josh Brolin's character admits to Emily Blunt that the whole thing was about bringing some sort of balance of power back into the Colombian's hand. That somehow they would be more easily controlled by the CIA.

Yes, I missed that part for some reason. I think it was Matt who admitted their actual goal to Kate after she was shot by Alejandro when they crossed the tunnel.

Yup, that's what I got too.. I saw the movie yesterday and had nightmares :( .. it was an ok movie for me, but I appreciated that they didn't want to seem as the perfect guys working to get rid of the cartels cause in the end they were working with Benicio Del Toro which was also clearly seeking for his own revenge, so what I got is that CIA and him were working together to both get some benefit from that (maybe im wrong), and also putting out how the state police is also involved in so many cases was a good point.. there are not to trust here.. I think they don't fully portray the situation, I think the movie El Infierno worked better for this, have u guys watched it? I fully recommend it, it's from a mexican director.

P.S I hated Matt

On a side note.. they just captured aaagain El Chapo. And what got the most attention from my part listening to the radio host were this points:
1. She mentioned she was a brilliant man (IMO you just don't say that on national radio..)
2. She was talking about a special program they will air today at 9 about him and all the things about El Chapo, like what Ruffles he liked, what cookies he ate, and lots of non sens, why would they talk about this? People don't care what he likes to eat, he's a psycho...
]3. She made comments on how good and important this was for Mexico to start the year with the right foot, after he escaped and all the bad things going on in the country, not to mention that one of the headlines in a newspaper today was "México se hunde", translation: "Mexico Sinks."

I certainly like to believe not everyone thinks this is real.. it's another move performed by the government to make everyone believe things are going to be "alright.." :/

Even the mexican presiden tweet made me say, really? “Mission completed: we've got him. I’d like to inform the Mexicans that Joaquin Guzman Loera has been detained,” Enrique Pena Nieto wrote.

Anyways, here's the url from the news :)

https://www.rt.com/news/328304-druglord-chapo-captured-mexico/

I thought the movie was very well done, and displays the brutal nature of the intelligence types very well. Some key points were the CIA foot soldier Matt admitting that the goal is for the drug trade to be controlled by them alone, the police boss saying that the orders came from way-up high, and the penultimate scene between Alejandro and the Mexican Cartel boss, talking about killing families: "Who do you think we learned it from?".

Over all the film was just saddening and real. It has no heroes, no message of hope, and certainly no happy ending. It portrays some of the evil at the core of the US empire, shows how big the machine is, and how normal people cannot stand against it. After the scene of the dead Cartel family, it cuts to a scene of former idealistic Kate, now crushed emotionally, being forced to sign a paper saying everything was legit. Back to business as usual, but not for those of us with a conscience.

As Alejandro leaves Kate, his final words are "You will not survive here. You are not a wolf, and this is the land of wolves now". This is the psychopathic vision for the world, and it is becoming truer by the day.

The final scene is of the little boy, who's father in the Mexican police was needlessly murdered by Alejandro earlier, playing football with only his mum now watching. Gun shots are heard, and after a brief pause in play the match continues. Business as usual. Better learn to be a wolf, kid.

Some really great reviews here. And i must agree, A very bleak, sickening look at the CIA trying to take back its own territory. Thought the DOP, director, actors all did brilliant jobs. The story was captivating. Overall, a very solid film that shows the psychopathic world of the empire,

Completely agree with Carls post!

Back
Top Bottom