This forum helped inspire my first novel

Editing:

I have written several short stories, and I’m at the point of needing some editing and objective criticism. I have contacted some online editing services, and for a 5,000-word story the editing cost is 175 US dollars. There are also people selling editing services on Craig List and the like, but that sounds a bit dodgy. Any ideas where I can find reasonably priced editing, or is $175 reasonable?

Just a thought: with so many good writers involved with Sott, could we have an editing service connected to a donation. Allowing one to give to Sott by editing, and another to give by donating?

Adobe said:
Editing:

I have written several short stories, and I'm at the point of needing some editing and objective criticism. I have contacted some online editing services, and for a 5,000-word story the editing cost is 175 US dollars. There are also people selling editing services on Craig List and the like, but that sounds a bit dodgy. Any ideas where I can find reasonably priced editing, or is $175 reasonable?

Just a thought: with so many good writers involved with Sott, could we have an editing service connected to a donation. Allowing one to give to Sott by editing, and another to give by donating?

I think your idea for a SOTT editing service is a good one, for SOTT. If anyone is willing to help on this forum, they will whether or not you donate to SOTT.

For a short story, I wouldn't personally invest money in editing services, but for $175, it's not that bad and it certainly would take the pressure off you. For my books, I've been extremely fortunate to have great and talented friends who are willing to take the time to help editing. If you go that route, remember to insist that they provide negative feedback as well as positive.

You can always post part of your story on this forum and see if anyone comments (Cassiopaea Forum » Cassiopaean Sandbox » Creative Acts). For example, you can post the first few pages of your story and if it grabs people's interest, they will beg for you to post the rest so they can discover what happens. I would be interested to start reading it, so post it or email it to me. I don't have much time, but can give it at least five minutes.

My general advice is write a book. I love a good story, short or long, but no one ever wants a great story to end too soon. Write a story that you wish someone would have written. That's what I did. Whether or not anyone else likes the Silent Subversion story, I do and that's all that really matters. Money and fame, if they come at all, are only secondary rewards.

Adobe said:
Editing:

I have written several short stories, and I’m at the point of needing some editing and objective criticism. I have contacted some online editing services, and for a 5,000-word story the editing cost is 175 US dollars. There are also people selling editing services on Craig List and the like, but that sounds a bit dodgy. Any ideas where I can find reasonably priced editing, or is $175 reasonable?

I think that might be possible. What's the genre?

100c—A book is a good idea, but not sure I’m up to it. After a story or two, you tell me.

Joe—The genre would be memoir fiction, of an expat’s mis-adventures in Central America. A few of the stories have religion and esoterica liaised through them. Let me know how you want me to proceed.

thank you for your responses

Adobe said:
100c—A book is a good idea, but not sure I’m up to it. After a story or two, you tell me.

Joe—The genre would be memoir fiction, of an expat’s mis-adventures in Central America. A few of the stories have religion and esoterica liaised through them. Let me know how you want me to proceed.

I hope you do post the beginning of a story so we can read it...or the whole thing of course!

Leila said:
Great to hear that you wrote this book brilliant stuff! I have been inspired by the Cassiopaean work also, I will endeavour to read your book in the future! I've gently started writing a book based on the legend of the fall and how our DNA was manipulated as described by the C's, the burning off of DNA all that time ago. Also I'd love to write about the hyperdimensional aspect.
It is set in damp old London town house and follows the story of a woman who is dragged into becoming something like an unlikely hero when her brother accidentally stumbles on something revolutionary whilst studying epigenetics, needless to say he gets targeted by the control system.
It's based on the ideas of the cassiopaean work and Gurdieff and Sufism as that is my mum's background. I'm not really a writer but I think that putting some of this info into a work of fiction would probably make the best book/film ever! Ive been thinking about this for years, just couldn't help myself.
I hope know one minds me using the Cassiopaean work as inspiration. I can't imagine finishing the book at the moment yet let alone getting it published lol. Who knows maybe I will finish it one day.
:D

Hi Leila, I would love to see some of what you have written! You can email me at ( edit: removed e-mail address. Sharing personal contact through the forum is discouraged) . There needs to be more stories based on real possibilities, other than what the control system decided to feed us. I believe you can learn more from a fictional setting than a non-fictional one...if that makes sense.

Don't worry about finishing it, just jump in and see where the stream flows. Despite where I planned on it going, my story took off on its own. Although it was a lot of work, the writing process became like a higher level of reading a story. If there are gods controlling things, writing a story gives a taste of what it's like being one.

Thanks again for your interest 100c If I send the whole file it will have all my info in the header. So how about I cut and past a section of the a story, and should I pdf that section?

Adobe said:

Well, it's up to you at this point. It seems 100c has asked for your text to be posted here and suggested that forum members can proof read it for you and give feedback. It's seems 100c will definitely do that for you, although I don't think we can speak for others. Maybe you'd be happy and confident enough with that approach?

Adobe, send in whatever form you want. If you post, start a new entry in the creative acts forum. I've seen people do that there. Excited to see what you share!

Hi 100c, thanks for sending your details and encouragement, yes very sound advice it's hard to keep up the momentum with this stuff sometimes, so that helps I appreciate it. I would love to send you something but haven't written enough as yet, I've just started really.
I'm in the process of moving for the 6th time in 3 years lol, so realistically I'll not be able to get much done in the near future but hopefully I will do more and finally be settled with the next move!
It's good to be on the forum at least, good luck with your work :)

The second book in the series, Silent Subversion X, is now available:
http://anxietypub.com/silent-subversion-x/

I will create a new book topic/thread for it.

I apologize for the delay. Writing a book is difficult, but all the extra work that goes along with publishing. Now that's a beast!

100c said:

I apologize for the delay. Writing a book is difficult, but all the extra work that goes along with publishing. Now that's a beast!

Look forward to the continuation, thanks for the heads up.

voyageur said:
100c said:

Look forward to the continuation, thanks for the heads up.

I'm also eager to read the sequel. I've bought it from Amazon, to read it in my Kindle. Thank you for your work!

Thanks for the encouragement. I believe that you will enjoy the sequel. My writing improved a little.
Now I need to get back to work on the final book in this series.
:headbash:

Since book 2 is available, I made Silent Subversion I free for 1 week on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AS75NY2

Back
Top Bottom