Help needed for street cat.

canavare

Jedi
We (me and my wife) are feeding the street cats in our neighbourhood. Last week we discovered that one of the cats has Feline viral rhinotracheitis, a deadly illness. The vet prescribed antibiotics for secondary infections but according to the mainstream animal medicine there is no cure for the virus (feline herpes virus) that cause this illness. Does anyone has any idea about the alternative cure options? Would lugol solution be a good alternative for her cure? Thanks in advance.

Interesting question. Do animals in general or certain animals need it as well.
Also if i fed a pig i was raising iodine would the resulting pork be beneficial to eat in that regard?

Mouse, I would caution the use of Iodine for this, as from what I have learned cats and dogs are not biologically the same as humans. To do so could have dangerous results without proper knowledge.

I have seen protocols/recipes that use Iodine as a parasite remedy or as treatment for radiation poisoning but I have not heard of or read that it can be used safely to treat Feline viral rhinotracheitis.

I would do some deep research before using Iodine. Dr. Karen Becker's site and her you tube video's might be a good step to see what holistic alternatives are out there for this, doing a general Internet search or better yet call a local known 'true' holistic vet. I found mine through this site: ahvma.org and get their advice before proceeding with administering Iodine. I hope this helps. :flowers:

mouse said:
We (me and my wife) are feeding the street cats in our neighbourhood. Last week we discovered that one of the cats has Feline viral rhinotracheitis, a deadly illness. The vet prescribed antibiotics for secondary infections but according to the mainstream animal medicine there is no cure for the virus (feline herpes virus) that cause this illness. Does anyone has any idea about the alternative cure options? Would lugol solution be a good alternative for her cure? Thanks in advance.
I've seen 0.8 mg/kg of iodine quoted the dose for small animals.

NinaMosi said:
Mouse, I would caution the use of Iodine for this, as from what I have learned cats and dogs are not biologically the same as humans. To do so could have dangerous results without proper knowledge.

I have seen protocols/recipes that use Iodine as a parasite remedy or as treatment for radiation poisoning but I have not heard of or read that it can be used safely to treat Feline viral rhinotracheitis.

I would do some deep research before using Iodine. Dr. Karen Becker's site and her you tube video's might be a good step to see what holistic alternatives are out there for this, doing a general Internet search or better yet call a local known 'true' holistic vet. I found mine through this site: ahvma.org and get their advice before proceeding with administering Iodine. I hope this helps. :flowers:

Thank you NinaMosi.

Hi Mouse,
few questions:

How old is the cat?
How was the FVR infection diagnosed? Did your vet perform serology testing?
What therapy has your vet prescribed?
What are the predominant symptoms? Head cold ( nasal discharge, sneezing, coughing, heavy breathing) or eye changes?
Is the cat eating?

FVR can be deadly but in very small percentage of cats, depends on the cat's status and if there is also an infection with Feline immunodeficiency virus and/or Feline leukemia virus. There is no data on safe use of Iodine in cats, for the time being I would advise against it.

mouse said:

Don't know in what country you live, but in post-Soviet countries (or maybe in others too) it's possible to buy an antiviral feline serum, that can help treating panleucopenia, callicivirus and rhinotracheitis. It contains specific immunoglobulins, but it is also most effective at the very beginning of the disease. It is called either Globfel-4 or Vitafel-4. But not sure if you can find it in European countries or US. Maybe under a different name. But since it also a bit pricey (at least for people here), better make sure what it is, as Z said.

Z said:
Hi Mouse,
few questions:

How old is the cat?
How was the FVR infection diagnosed? Did your vet perform serology testing?
What therapy has your vet prescribed?
What are the predominant symptoms? Head cold ( nasal discharge, sneezing, coughing, heavy breathing) or eye changes?
Is the cat eating?

FVR can be deadly but in very small percentage of cats, depends on the cat's status and if there is also an infection with Feline immunodeficiency virus and/or Feline leukemia virus. There is no data on safe use of Iodine in cats, for the time being I would advise against it.

Hi Z,

thank you for your reply.
Regarding to your questions:
1-I dont know how old the cat is because she is a street cat, it is not our pet. My estimation is 1-2 years old.
2-FVR was diagnosed by eye conjunctivitis, coughing and sneezing etc.
3-the cat has stayed 7 days at vet and vet said he gave antibiotics for secondary infections
4-eye conjunctivitis, coughing ,sneezing and heavy breathing etc.
5-after 7 days we brought the cat to our home and two days long she did not eat, this is one of my
biggest concerns and why I bring this subject to the forum.

Regarding to NinaMosi's suggestion I read some Information about FVR at Dr. Becker's web site:
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/03/07/feline-herpes-virus-in-pet-cats.aspx

If your pet isn't eating, try warming the food to bring out the aroma. Sometimes that's all it takes to interest a kitty in eating again.

We have started to warm her food and it worked, she started to eat again.

additionally Dr. Becker said that:
I regularly use homeopathic nosodes, immune-boosting medicinal mushrooms and herbs, including olive leaf, Cat's Claw, Pau D'arco and turmeric, as well as lysine to treat upper respiratory diseases in cats and shorten the duration of these infections.

so my wife started to gave her one drop of homopathic antiviral tincture NONI. she is better now.

Thank you very much for your support.

Keit said:
mouse said:

Don't know in what country you live, but in post-Soviet countries (or maybe in others too) it's possible to buy an antiviral feline serum, that can help treating panleucopenia, callicivirus and rhinotracheitis. It contains specific immunoglobulins, but it is also most effective at the very beginning of the disease. It is called either Globfel-4 or Vitafel-4. But not sure if you can find it in European countries or US. Maybe under a different name. But since it also a bit pricey (at least for people here), better make sure what it is, as Z said.

Thank you Keit,

We are in turkey and the cat is better now.

Mouse, Thank you for the update, I am so happy to hear that the cat is doing so much better now !! :love: :hug2: I am sure the cat is very grateful to have your kindness and help, by getting some relief from the symptoms and to be eating again! Keep us posted on how the cat is doing. :flowers:

Glad she is doing better , HV can lead to irreversible damage of the eye and even blindness in severe cases. If eyes are not healing i would try and find eye drops containing NAC- I've had remarkable results with these.

Z said:
There is no data on safe use of Iodine in cats, for the time being I would advise against it.

I was just reading on the cat food page that you provided in the thread of Festers 12 cats, _http://www.catinfo.org and came across this:

Notes on why I omit/alter certain ingredients that you may see in other recipes:

Kelp - You will see recipes on the internet that use kelp. Kelp varies in its iodine content but usually contains very high levels of this mineral. The thyroid gland is very sensitive to iodine levels that are either too low or too high. Given the fact that hyperthyroidism is very common in the cat, I do not want to add too much, or too little, iodine to the diet.

The thyroid gland of a cat's natural prey is a good source of iodine but when using chicken or turkey thighs - and, therefore, no thyroid gland - we need to add Morton's iodized Lite salt as a source of iodine. I use Lite salt instead of regular table salt because Lite salt is a mixture of sodium and potassium versus table salt which is all sodium.

The iodized Lite salt (or, for non-US residents, regular iodized salt) is not an optional ingredient. It is a definite requirement when using only chicken or turkey parts - or any whole carcass that does not include a thyroid gland.

Also keep in mind that when we use poultry, we are missing the blood and its sodium and potassium. The Lite salt adds in some sodium and potassium

If using ground rabbit, I would assume that the thyroid gland is included. However, you may want to call your supplier and ask if this is the case. If it is, I would not add the iodized Lite salt.

So I was wondering if adding a bit of iodine wouldn't be better than adding salt with iodine?

Probably yes but the safest would be very little . Perhaps 1 drop of 1% lugol's per 1kg of food.

Back
Top Bottom