Treasure trove of Roman coins found in Spain

casper

The Living Force
"Over 600 kilograms of ancient Roman coins were discovered inside 19 amphorae (large clay pots) in the town of Tomares, near Seville, dating back to the late third and early forth centuries.

Emperors Maximian and Constantine appear on the bronze coins, which show little signs of handling, leading to the belief they made have been used to pay the army or civil servants.

Head of Seville's archaeology museum, Ana Navarro, said the finding is a 'unique collection' with 'very few similar cases around the world'.

As for how much the treasure trove is worth, Navarro's guess is 'certainly several million Euros'.

It's believed some of the coins were also dipped in silver as well as bronze.

Construction has ceased at the site which is now being excavated by archaeologists.

The Romans conquered the area in 218 BC, ruling until the early 5th century when they were overtaken by the Visigoths."

On English:
Link:
http://www.skynews.com.au/culture/offbeat/2016/04/29/treasure-trove-of-roman-coins-found-in-spain.html

In Spanish:
http://cultura.elpais.com/cultura/2016/04/28/actualidad/1461825424_636184.html

Hi Casper, why do you say that the regions was conquered by "-218"! This date is the beginning of the second Punic war. Hannibla (Cartage) attacked the town of Sagunto (Rome) in the east of Spain. Then with 37 elephants crossed the Strait of Gibraltar. The 19 amphorae found in the town of Tomares (Sevilla), is located 150 kilometers from the Strait of Gibraltar. We also know that next to Seville Tomares was the city of Ilipa (Italica / Santiponce) which was fought a great battle of the Second Punic War. It is also the first Roman city founded in Hispania / Spain (as well as outside of Italy), by Scipio Africanus. During the last years of the Second Punic War, Scipio divided between the soldiers of the legions of parcels of land in the valley of the Baetis (now Guadalquivir), making qu'Italica born as a city of veterans and Roman soldiers and Italian allies wounded or sick (vicus civium romanorum) after the Battle of Ilipa on the west bank of the Baetis in 206 BC. However, archaeologists do not seem to mention any specific time..

Kisito said:
Hi Casper, why do you say that the regions was conquered by "-218"! This date is the beginning of the second Punic war. Hannibla (Cartage) attacked the town of Sagunto (Rome) in the east of Spain. Then with 37 elephants crossed the Strait of Gibraltar. The 19 amphorae found in the town of Tomares (Sevilla), is located 150 kilometers from the Strait of Gibraltar. We also know that next to Seville Tomares was the city of Ilipa (Italica / Santiponce) which was fought a great battle of the Second Punic War. It is also the first Roman city founded in Hispania / Spain (as well as outside of Italy), by Scipio Africanus. During the last years of the Second Punic War, Scipio divided between the soldiers of the legions of parcels of land in the valley of the Baetis (now Guadalquivir), making qu'Italica born as a city of veterans and Roman soldiers and Italian allies wounded or sick (vicus civium romanorum) after the Battle of Ilipa on the west bank of the Baetis in 206 BC. However, archaeologists do not seem to mention any specific time..
I put the full article in quotes, that's what it says in the article, I actually quoted, so it's not something I said.

casper said:
Kisito said:
I put the full article in quotes, that's what it says in the article, I actually quoted, so it's not something I said.
Oh, sorry I did not bother to open the link in English. I watched the Spanish link where it does not mention a date and appears more detailed.

Back
Top Bottom