How to remove links from sites when copying a text?

T.C.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Sometimes when copying a text from a webpage, when you paste it you end up with an extra bit of text, usually along the lines of: (read more at website(dot)com....)

I haven't noticed this with firefox but it happens in chrome.

Does anyone know if there's a way to disable it in my chrome settings or if there's an app that'll do the job for me?

Thanks

Hi T.C.

I'm not sure if i'm correct, but I think that you can't remove that function. It normally means that the website you're copying from has a function installed that adds that bit of text whenever you use part of the website's content. I think it is a way they use to tell you to please mention the original source with a link to it. OSIT.

Others might have a solution, though.

Yas said:
Hi T.C.

I'm not sure if i'm correct, but I think that you can't remove that function. It normally means that the website you're copying from has a function installed that adds that bit of text whenever you use part of the website's content. I think it is a way they use to tell you to please mention the original source with a link to it. OSIT.

Yes, that's correct. I just looked into this and it appears to be a piece of Javascript from the company "Tynt" (who may now be called "33Across") that does this. There are a couple of articles with potential solutions for disabling it:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/05/tynt_copy_paste_jerks
https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-Chrome-plug-in-to-disable-the-feature-where-websites-automatically-add-extra-text-to-your-clipboard-copies

If anyone attempts this, be careful with the hosts.txt option because misconfiguring that can break the internet on your computer.

I believe Mark's Daily Apple and Sputnik are two sites that do this.

Foxx said:
Yas said:
Hi T.C.

Yes, that's correct. I just looked into this and it appears to be a piece of Javascript from the company "Tynt" (who may now be called "33Across") that does this. There are a couple of articles with potential solutions for disabling it:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/05/tynt_copy_paste_jerks
https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-Chrome-plug-in-to-disable-the-feature-where-websites-automatically-add-extra-text-to-your-clipboard-copies

If anyone attempts this, be careful with the hosts.txt option because misconfiguring that can break the internet on your computer.

I believe Mark's Daily Apple and Sputnik are two sites that do this.

Yip. It's just a thing with copyright and maybe a reminder that you should quote exactly or only one or two paragraphs for example.

Thanks for all the replies

Foxx, I added the tynt blocker chrome extension... doesn't work.

Then tried the tip about adding ?disableTracer=on to the end of a url... doesn't work either.

Then tried to get to the "Opt out of tynt" page on their actual site, and it's just a blank page.

I'm not going anywhere near the host.txt option lol.

Strange thing is, I was using firefox before and it didn't do it in firefox. I switched to using chrome and it started doing it. Now I've gone back to try firefox and it's doing it in firefox now, too :huh:

The joys of marketing/SEO companies.

You should be able to get around this by dragging and dropping.

If you do Ctrl-C for copy, the JS on their site can intercept the keystroke, get the selected text, and modify it before it's plopped into your browser's clipboard.

If you right-click and do Copy, the JS can also intercept the right-click, assume you're going to pick Copy if part of the page is selected, and do the same as above.

But, if you highlight text and then drag and drop it wherever you want, that's not so easy to intercept in JS. Actually, I'm not sure it's even possible to do that in JS... I just tried this method on LiveScience in Firefox, and it worked.

:thup:

Scottie said:
You should be able to get around this by dragging and dropping.

If you do Ctrl-C for copy, the JS on their site can intercept the keystroke, get the selected text, and modify it before it's plopped into your browser's clipboard.

If you right-click and do Copy, the JS can also intercept the right-click, assume you're going to pick Copy if part of the page is selected, and do the same as above.

But, if you highlight text and then drag and drop it wherever you want, that's not so easy to intercept in JS. Actually, I'm not sure it's even possible to do that in JS... I just tried this method on LiveScience in Firefox, and it worked.

:thup:

Ah, Scottie - ya sneaky devil :evil:

Works in chrome, too!

Well played, sir :)

T.C. said:
Ah, Scottie - ya sneaky devil :evil:

Works in chrome, too!

Well played, sir :)

Indeed! I'm glad to have a workaround for this annoying feature that doesn't consist of manually removing these superfluous 'additives' time and again.

Thanks, and well done! :cool2:

And thanks to T.C. too for posting the initial question.

Back
Top Bottom