my new track: "The Strategy Of Tension" (taste warning: EDM)

Iconoclast

Jedi Master
i've managed to complete another musical project.

BrhDLqk.jpg

you can listen to it and grab a free download here:
_https://soundcloud.com/hex-madroom/tsot

or watch the video i created for it here:
_https://youtu.be/UWKyg4H8-4w

as usual, comments and feedback are appreciated!

I like it very much. The only thing that disturbed me a little, but just a little, are the the moves of the blood. For the rest I like the music, the rythme , the pictures and the message. Thanks to share it with us!

Hello Iconoclast,

Considering my taste in music, I feel my opinion might be useful to you. Background: EDM has been the main musical style I've been listening to for the last 20 years of my life. In the late 90s, I was listening to classic synths like Jean Michel Jarre, turning to more modern composers like daft punk, and then to melodic/white trance like van buuren, tiesto, corsten, etc, of course through references like the immortal Sensation White compilations.
Early 2000s I mostly switched over to liquid DnB and dark trance (Sensation Black introduced me to the genre and then slowly to psytrance (early style as in first few albums of infected mushroom, not the later formulaic/soulless sped-up dark dnb that is now called psy). That led me to deeper styles like psychill around 2005, which is about when I discovered chiptune/8bit and started listening to this fulltime - masters like Nullsleep, Bitshifter, Trash80, Sabrepulse, GiveUpNewYork, Unicorn Kid, Jellica, She, and many more. Then around 2010 I skipped right past dubstep and right into the early glitch, moving into a variety of very creative and masterfull branches from glitchfunk to chillhop, always maintaining a preference for glitch our soulful chill that integrated chiptuny aspects.

This being said, let me share what I hear when I hear your song. First, your song reminds me most of early-90s demoscene music, with an engaging but essentially simplistic melody. The production value is much more modern, with a depth of detail in every note that belies your attention to detail, but the lack of supporting arps, arcs, chords and sub-melodies brings the attention to a fundamental lack of harmonies to fill and sustain the main unfolding melodic sequence. Masterclass and SomehowArt are definitely worth checking out despite them not directly relationg to the style you are going for. Anyways...

An early 90's demoscene song for reference:
_https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZIK2OZU1EM

To compare with the melodic depth of early 2000's chiptune, I'll refer you to one of my favorite classic chiptune artists ever, Trash80:
_https://youtu.be/m7sEkhBvREA

Now, I'm not saying that your concept is bad (to the contrary, both the topic and quotes you selected are awesome. However, without supporting arps and arcs, and the glaring lack of a bassline, the music fails to stand up to the importance of the topic you selected.

Mostly, the ambience is not there. Considering the sheer maleficience of the subject, the candy-style melody feels out of place. You would need to masterfully integrate some more grimy elements, not only melodically but rather to shape a musicality that introduces the quotes with proper somberness and also creates a drop which opens dramatic intensity for the words.

As an example of what I mean, here's one of the most masterful of chiptune and dubstep I've ever heard (chipstep/bitstep) which, despite lacking any lyrics, guides us through a journey of innocence, celebration, nostalgy and sadness:
Unicorn Kid - Dreamcatcher
_https://youtu.be/jknlhDgzRDQ

Hopefully by now you get a better feel of what I mean. The thing is, you selected an imposing topic to feature as the core of your piece, and anything less than what it deserves will feel like something hastily thrown together/beginner experimentation, which does not honor the subject.

I would also recommend that you look up glitch composition. Right now, the rhythm is a steady 8/8 which does not allow for any play on the musicality, staccato/time translation of rhythm that makes for interesting dancing. I am not a composer and thus do not know the specific jargon, but as a retired pro dancer (10 years and 2 teaching, now only dancing for personal passion/soulful expression) I can say for now that the absence of musicality (not the melodic tone, but rather of learnable/foreseable rhythmic improvisation) prevents the emergence of play and exploration with the song (not only of the dancer but of the listener as well) forces the song into a monotonic vibe.

I noticed that you created for yourself the opportunity for a few drops, but failed to exploit them. The first sequence is also notoriously disconnected from the rest, with no discernible melodic or rhythmic resonances to link the it with the following sequences, which themselves have a droning quality because of the failure to explore the overarching melody through different rhythmic variations.

To illustrate this concept, here's an exemple from one of the early trendsetters in Glitch, and then an eapplication of glitchy musicality into more soulful styles:
glitch Mob - Warrior Concerto:
_https://youtu.be/-lszdEZ0-74
Somehowart - Bewitched:
_https://youtu.be/71yW2MiB17U
Llusion the Reviver - Value Life
_https://llusionthereviver.bandcamp.com/track/value-life

I have many more examples, but this is already a lot, plus I am not at home and this phone has had memory wiped recently, so I cannot necessarily refer to the best titles I wished could illustrate my meaning (especially regarding rhythmical glitch use in chiptune). Nevertheless, I will leave you with a live performance from another 8bit artist I re
spect very much, which I hope will inspire you with what can be done - live, mind you!

Skipcloud - While She Sleeps
_https://youtu.be/rR2lItT_KtM

I recommend you keep working on that song. You already have a strong foundation set - what's left is to flesh it out. Hopefully you can find inspiration in what the masters of 8bit, Glitch and Chillhop have achieved. Blessings.

So I had to look up EDM (Electronic Dance Music) - did you try dancing to it?

Just my opinions, nothing personal, I totally support your efforts - take with grain of salt

United Gnosis: Wow! - amazing, detailed, insightful, in-depth, honest critique.

Iconoclast: IMO the bass is WAY submerged and underpowered, too clean and jazzy, which sucks the gravity out of the piece. So.

1. I would amp up the bass big time and make it one of those layered/distorted dub-type mega synth sounds.

2. Harder hitting drums with maybe some echo/delay would also do wonders of difference with minimal effort.

3. The video is GREAT. Nice work there.

4. Whatever the genre, anything dance-worthy needs that primal bass-drums thing first and foremost.

5. I hear opportunities for some big dynamics.

sigh, I have some things I have been working on for decades...such is music

Hang in there!

thanks to everyone for the feedback!

United Gnosis said:
This being said, let me share what I hear when I hear your song. First, your song reminds me most of early-90s demoscene music, with an engaging but essentially simplistic melody. The production value is much more modern, with a depth of detail in every note that belies your attention to detail, but the lack of supporting arps, arcs, chords and sub-melodies brings the attention to a fundamental lack of harmonies to fill and sustain the main unfolding melodic sequence. Masterclass and SomehowArt are definitely worth checking out despite them not directly relationg to the style you are going for. Anyways...

thanks for the extensive analysis, United Gnosis.
i hear what you are saying and agree. the problem is that i don't really have any idea how to make music or about music theory and it takes me forever to complete a song. for me keys, chord progressions, melodic variations and the like are very hard to wrap my head around. so i'm basically like a blind man trying to write a book.
add to that the difficulty of mixing a clean sounding master, which is an alchemy all its own.

i'm a bit disappointed that the bass seems to be too weak, it sounds good on the 2 headphones and 2 speaker setups i have access too (especially after the bad, too loud bass on one of my last tracks).

ah well. live and learn.

also, UG, you are spot on with your "early 90's demoscene" comment! that's where many of my favorite melodies of all time are from.
a friend and i have put up a 640-minute chiptune mix on youtube. just do a search for "ec64sc" if you want to check it out.

Good tune! I agree with UG - there's a good foundation there and you can definitely make it more interesting. I do like the synth melody but it does seem at odds with the title. I think the mixdown itself is not bad. The bass level could use a bit of boosting but not much. I like the drum line and you can probably get more punch out of your bass kick by playing around with the eq and compressor for that track. Same with the snare, perhaps even layering another snare under it a slightly lower octave to give it a bit more body?

It's been a long time since I've produced any tracks, but when I did (mostly DnB), I would get the mixdown done as best as I could and listen to it on as many different speakers as possible (in my car, at friend's places etc). Don't trust headphones for mixdowns as they tend to colour the sound unless they're really good ones. Most colour the sound by adding more bass so if you are using that as your reference your tunes will tend to lack bass when played on other systems. Another thing I would do is listen to songs that I know where mastered correctly on my speakers and compare it to what I've made to see what elements need to be adjusted to make it sound like a well produced song. You probably already know this since you're into EDM but futureproducers.com is a good place to get lots of tips on making better mixes etc.

Btw, what software do you use to make your tracks?

Thanks for sharing. I like it!

It's good to put something out there which carries useful information rather than mind programming.

Woodsman said:
Thanks for sharing. I like it!

It's good to put something out there which carries useful information rather than mind programming.

Yes, it's great you are spreading more awareness, Iconoclast, so thanks also!

Iconoclast said:
fabric said:
Btw, what software do you use to make your tracks?
Reaper Digital Audio Workstation
_reaper.fm
very affordable and really well coded.

Thanks! That looks like a really cool program. I was using Reason and Cubase SX but don't really use it much. I'll have to check it out.

fabric said:
Thanks! That looks like a really cool program. I was using Reason and Cubase SX but don't really use it much. I'll have to check it out.
the trial version is unlimited/unrestricted, so you can really try it out before you buy.

Back
Top Bottom