Health and Wellness Show: Beyond the Pump - Getting to the heart of the matter

Eboard10

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Couldn’t find a thread for the latest Health & Wellness show, Beyond the Pump: Getting to the heart of the matter. It was quite an information-packed session so I thought I would highlight some of the points covered:

• It was surprising to hear that the heart might not actually act as a pump, but that blood is driven by its own biological momentum, and the structure of the ventrical walls, being thicker on one end and thinner on the other, give it a conical shape which creates a vortex that causes the spin that propels the blood in the vessels.
  • The heart is connected to the brain via the vagus nerve through neural pathways, stressing out the importance of breathing exercises and doing EE. It also acts as an endocrine gland which produces a peptide (ANP) that controls the body water and fat, and also secretes as much oxytocin as the brain, the “love hormone” that induces feelings of caring and appreciation for others.
  • The variability of the heart beat is key to well-being. A higher heart rate variability is actually an indication of a healthy and properly functioning system. An interesting proposition discussed in the show was that variability is driven by the heart interacting with other organs in the body and external factors. A stressed person has a lower variability which could be a symptom of the body closing off and being unable to respond to signals from the surrounding environment.
  • I was also impressed to learn that the electromagnetic field of the heart is multiple times stronger than the brain’s (up to 5,000 times stronger!); it can be sensed strongly at least 3 feet away from the body and goes on indefinitely. It was shown in an experiment that a person’s alpha brain waves synchronized with another person’s cardiac waves when holding hands, and the same was seen at a close distance when there was no physical contact. I wonder if that can also happen at a distance, say when talking to someone on the phone?
  • The above remarks point to a strong connection between the heart and EM radiation which can disturb the body’s own field, and that exposure to external EM fields such as cell phone and wi-fi signals can have a negative impact on the overall physiological coherence of the body.

It's definitely worth listening to the show a second time to capture all the information shared. Didn’t catch all the references but the one I got was Rudolf Steiner’s The Heart is not a Pump.

Very interesting indeed Eboard10! Thanks for posting! I've only read through your main points, but look forward to listening to this episode tomorrow morning.

A friend had mentioned to me the other day that there are scientists who believe the heart may be another brain and it really got me thinking!

Could this mean we are actually making decisions from either our hearts or our brains? (or even our gut?!) If so, do the more logical decisions come from our brains and emotional from our hearts? Is it like a tug of war between the two?

So many questions started whizing around in, what I assume is my head :lol:

Eboard10 said:
  • I was also impressed to learn that the electromagnetic field of the heart is multiple times stronger than the brain’s (up to 5,000 times stronger!); it can be sensed strongly at least 3 feet away from the body and goes on indefinitely. It was shown in an experiment that a person’s alpha brain waves synchronized with another person’s cardiac waves when holding hands, and the same was seen at a close distance when there was no physical contact. I wonder if that can also happen at a distance, say when talking to someone on the phone?

Could this also explain how we can sense the emotions of those around us? Other than the obvious physical expressions and tone of voice.

sarahelizabeth said:
A friend had mentioned to me the other day that there are scientists who believe the heart may be another brain and it really got me thinking!

Could this mean we are actually making decisions from either our hearts or our brains? (or even our gut?!) If so, do the more logical decisions come from our brains and emotional from our hearts? Is it like a tug of war between the two?

Yes, it was mentioned in the show that the heart is like an information-processing system with it's own functional brain that communicates with other parts of the body through the nervous system. It could well be that the heart captures pulses from these external fields, say from another person, and then sends that information to the brain. Not sure where the actual decision making takes place, but it sure is fascinating!

sarahelizabeth said:
Could this also explain how we can sense the emotions of those around us? Other than the obvious physical expressions and tone of voice.
Well, some of the research focused on the 'cardiac nervous system" now is showing that different emotions produce fluctuations in the EM field generated by the heart. Aside from this, there is some convincing evidence that someone's heart EMF directly alters the brain waves of another person, even at conversational distance. So, we might be able to speculate that when someone is experiencing a strong emotion, they do indeed radiate some specific frequency of EM radiation which is then picked up by another person's 'antenna'. It may also explain why sometimes we have "bad feelings" about a person we have just met, yet we can't explain why. It kinda opens the door up to many possibilities.

Also, the vagus nerve is predominantly composed of ascending nerve fibres (which carry information TO the heart from the periphery), most of which are associated with the cardiovascular system, so it could be said that the heart sends more information to the brain than the brain sends to the heart. The electrical information detected by the heart and sent to the brain via the vagus nerve may actually be what is known as 'intuition'. It was emphasised on the show that, if this was the case, then conscious intent coupled with the practice of vagal nerve stimulation techniques like Eriu Eolas may be a key process toward becoming more intuned with one's intuitive awareness by increasing the flow of information from the heart to brain. Again, this was all theoretical and speculative, but interesting to ponder nonetheless!

Added:
Eboard10 said:
Yes, it was mentioned in the show that the heart is like an information-processing system with it's own functional brain that communicates with other parts of the body through the nervous system.
Well, there are actually three other modes of communication that have been proposed.

The four in total are: 1. Neurological (nervous system) 2. Biochemical (hormonal secretion) 3. Biophysical (pulse waves) & 4. Energetic (electromagnetic fields)

Thanks Keyhole, personally I find the questions just as fascinating as the answers! Possibility is one thing we can certainly count on being constant.

Very interesting discussion!

I didn't realise there was a science to feeling so good in nature, but it really does make a lot of sense. Ahhhh science, what a magnificent thing.

Regarding the heart transplant patient who named the murderer of the person he received the heart from; my lecturer in Naturopathic Philosophy mentioned that there are studies done on memories being stored in tissues all throughout the body! Has anyone here heard/ studied anything that relates to this?

P.s. lets not get started on Pokemon zombies :thdown:

sarahelizabeth said:
Regarding the heart transplant patient who named the murderer of the person he received the heart from; my lecturer in Naturopathic Philosophy mentioned that there are studies done on memories being stored in tissues all throughout the body! Has anyone here heard/ studied anything that relates to this?

P.s. lets not get started on Pokemon zombies :thdown:

Great question :) The following articles and previous Health and Wellness Shows carried on SOTT may answer some of your questions :love:

I also recommend Peter Levine's book In an Unspoken Voice How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness
There is also a forum discussion on the book here

The Health & Wellness Show: Body Work: The Issues in Your Tissues

Today on the Health and Wellness Show we're looking into the topic of body work. Massage, rolfing, yoga, pilates, lomi lomi, fascia release, chiropractic - there are many different methods and modalities for physically working on our bodies and we'll be discussing many of these. We'll explore the concepts behind the work of Peter Levine, Alexander Lowen and others who look into the connection between emotions and trauma being "stored" in the tissues, how one's posture reflects one's internal state and how working on the body can benefit us physically, psychologically and emotionally.

The Health & Wellness Show: ‌Trauma from your Mama: The DNA -- Stress connection
The Health & Wellness Show: Your Mama's drama can cause you trauma
Your cells are listening: How talking to your body helps you heal
Trauma lost and found: How inherited family trauma shapes who we are

Very interesting heart facts and how to create a coherent Heart Rate Variability (HRV), via rhythmic breathing can be found additionally here:

Pashalis said:
[...]
In his book, as well as in his audio program, he [Dr. Alan Watkins] proposes that one should start from buttom up and that means getting your physiology into a coherent state first. For that, he proposes that getting your heart into a coherent state (since it is the most powerful electromagnetic force in the human body) via a coherent Heart Rate Variability (HRV) is a major step into that direction. He explains very well how extraordinary the heart actually is and what major influences (driving force) it has on all the other body systems.

The HRV is one of the most important aspects of heart health and body health there is. A couple of key points he discusses about HRV are:

-HRV can predict death and illness and reveals biological age
-HRV quantifies energy levels and levels of dynamism
-HRV alters brain function

And about the heart itself he also describes a couple of key points:

-The heart is not just a pump
-The heart is the most powerful signal generator in the human body
-The heart has its own neural network or "brain".
-The heart creates hormones

Some astonishing heart facts he describes are:

-Your heart begins beating four weeks after conception and doesn't stop beating until you die.
-Your heart beats about 100,000 times each day, which equates to around 35 million times a year, and by the time you reach to years, your heart will have beaten 2.5 billion times.
-Your heart does more physical work then any muscle during your lifetime.
-Grab a tennis ball and squeeze it tightly: that's how hard is working every time it beats
-The heart produces 40 to 60 times more electrical power and 5,000 times more electromagnetic power then the brain.
-The heart's electrical or electromagnetic energy radiates up to 50ft off the body (thus if the HRV is incoherent people around us can literally feel it and are effected by it [HRV is explained further down])

So although he makes it clear that he thinks the the technology we have today has made things worse in terms of human relations and development, he has created an APP that measures your HRV and how coherent it is. He teaches a specific breathing pattern that gets your heart into a coherent state (which is also included in the App). I know it probably sounds not much, but it is truly amazing to actually see with the app how your HRV gets into a coherent state very quickly when you use the BREATH skill. The important parts of the skill are:

1. Rhythmicity - fixed ratio of in:out breath.
2. Smoothness - even flow rate, in and out.
3. Location of attention. [he recommends to bring the attention on the heart itself]

The BREATH skill is as follows:

Breathe
Rhythmically
Evenly
And
Through the
Heart
Everyday

I'm using myself as lapdog right now with the APP, while I'm at work, since it is only meant to make you aware how to actually breath and how it immediately brings your HRV into a coherent state and how your body feels from moment to moment. The goal is to make that smooth and rhythmic breathing instinctive without a mobile device and get full control over it. Since we know that cellphone use and especially with a heart measuring devise connected via Bluetooth is pretty toxic, I think I've found a way you can train it without it. I have noticed through the test phase with the APP that it is pretty difficult to hold the rhythmically and smoothness of the breath, even though I'm practising music! Rhythmically and Smoothness is really key here here since as soon as that is not present anymore your HRV coherence drops like a fly (especially for touchy people like me) which you can see on the APP.

So I've found another solution to train myself this breathing (to make it instinctive). I take my metronome instead of the APP:

https://www.amazon.com/Korg-MA1BL-Visual-Counting-Metronome/dp/B0055BMQG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469775215&sr=8-1&keywords=KORG+MA-1

You can set the metronome into any rhythm pattern and speed you want and then plug in little earphones. No evil radiation from that device. So now I'm training myself to count in rhythm in and out (metronome gives you the count). Watkins also says that counting is a good way to get the rhythm. By the way your HRV can be coherent in any state (high physical activity or low) since what counts is the rhythmicality of the breath and not the speed. So if you do sports for example, you can breath rhythmicality fast and when you are relaxing, rhythmicality slow. The eventual goal with using the metronome is to get a instinctive feeling of what rhythmic is, so that you do it automatically. The metronome is just a way to get that into your body and mind so that you can use that skill anywhere and as often as possible without it later. From my experience so far at the beginning, you can believe that you are breathing in that BREATH way that actually makes your HRV coherent, when in reality it is not happening, since you do not breath rhythmically and evenly. To really make BREATH instinctive, I've found I need to practise with the metronome first.

So I've tested it long enough now and this rhythmic and smooth breathing really changes and makes you aware on how your body reacts. You start to get a feeling when you are in a coherent HRV or not. This breathing pattern becomes eventually your default mode. It is also interesting to note that through my experiments with the App I noticed on the records of the App that the HRV gets into a coherent state during the Beatha portion of EE and the meditation at the end as well! In fact that BREATH skill produces very similar sensations in my body to the Beatha portion.

To make BREATH your default mode, Watkins then says you should try the skill in varying difficulty degrees, starting with 1 and work up until 10:

4NTIHC.jpg

I can tell you so far, it is very hard to hold the BREATH skill for me above level 3 at the moment even with the metronome. But constat practise is key here, as with all the other skills Watkins proposes, and it starts to improve.

The BREATH skill is essentially a tool that is there to make you aware of your body and how it reacts and get control over it rather then the reaction control over you. That Breath skill is just a part of getting in control of your physiology. He explains the other components in his book and audio program.

Here is a live demonstration from Watkins about the Heart Rate Variability and how our physiology effects our brains:

https://youtu.be/0xc3XdOiGGI
[...]

Dr. Alan Watkins goes into more detail about the heart in his book "Coherence: The Secret Science of Brilliant Leadership" described in the thread above.

At 11:20 in the video above Watkins spaeks about the heart, and gives a live demonstration.

Very interesting mention at 24:43 from Tiffany or Erika "Maybe the heart acts as a metronome.." Yeah! Leading the music of the body-orchestra. C's said people were / had musical instruments [in their Being]. When the heart stops and its choir master role ends, its time to transition to 5thD music.

Pashalis said:
[..]
So if you do sports for example, you can breath rhythmicality fast and when you are relaxing, rhythmicality slow.[..]

First thing when you sprint or jog [fasted!] you regulate your breathing into a natural personal jogging rhythm. Your goal is to create an internal metronome to synchronize your breathing with the swing of the belly fat mass + internal organs, get all in sync with the movement of your heavy bones and muscles.

Ouspensky recounted hearing Gurdjieff words in his chest, while they communicated this way 'telepathically'. Was it Heart-Brain to Heart-Brain communication? Was there an old way of talking through centers or heart chakras?

Back
Top Bottom