Trumbo

Niall

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Great biopic about Dalton Trumbo and 'the Hollywood 10'. Trumbo was one of 10 screenwriters subpoenaed to testify before the House Committee on Un-American Activities (right after WW2) regarding alleged Communist propaganda in Hollywood films. They refused to directly answer questions, confident that a liberal majority on the Supreme Court would overturn their convictions for contempt of Congress. But that didn't happen, and then their lives fell apart, in a number of ways.

Trumbo soldiered through though, and continued writing screenplays anonymously for movies that would win Oscars in the 1950s. The movie captures the McCarthyist hysteria of the time, when 'Communist' implied you were 'un-American' and 'taking orders from the Kremlin'; something that is all too relevant again today.

Louis C.K. (the comedian) is in it, and he's pretty good. So is John Goodman, who is irreverent as always! The lead was played by Bryan Cranston, who was nominated for Best Actor at the 2015 Oscars but lost out to diCaprio in The Revenant (whatever!).

From here I went on to find out that Trumbo later worked with a number of 'subversive' stars - including Donald Sutherland and Burt Lancaster - to write and produce Executive Action, a movie about the assassination of JFK. I haven't seen it, but from what I've read about it, it was even more explosive than Stone's JFK, which caused a scene in 1991. Trumbo's JFK movie was made in 1973, released two weeks before the 10th anniversary of the assassination, then rapidly pulled from theaters and disappeared down the memory hole...

Thanks for sharing about this movie. Sounds like a movie worth watching given the similarities of today with the McCarthyist era. A time drawn up in black and white views: "You are either with us or against us", no nuances allowed.

IMdb gave it 7.5 out of 10 with details here: _http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3203606/

A trailer is here:

https://youtu.be/n0dZ_2ICpJE

Just watched the Trumbo movie. A very good movie! Thanks for mentioning...

Thanks for mentioning and it is indeed a very good film and I also do recommend it highly.

Watched that last Sunday - excellent movie and highly recommended!

What I found interesting is how such a situation (i.e. witch hunt against certain groups) can bring out the worst and the best in people. It forces a decision and separates the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. All in all very touching, thanks for recommending it!

luc said:
Watched that last Sunday - excellent movie and highly recommended!

What I found interesting is how such a situation (i.e. witch hunt against certain groups) can bring out the worst and the best in people. It forces a decision and separates the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. All in all very touching, thanks for recommending it!
I watched recently and this was a wonderful movie. We get the glimpse of cold war 1.0 dynamic that was the foundation of current establishment in multiplied form. It is amazing to see how people become Russophobic in a span of 2 years- the time Hollywood 10 are prosecuted. Single man march to survive the black list and intense drama that surrounded. Trumbo knows what to do to survive and he did it despite all the odds. Oscars did made the entire black list a big joke and exposed the all propaganda of establishment presstitutes.

Back
Top Bottom