Fat fuels cancer’s spread in mice

miguel angel

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
I've seen this news on a Spanish on-line paper and thought it could be worth to share it here.

_http://www.larioja.com/sociedad/salud/201612/07/cientificos-espanoles-descubren-celulas-20161207211743-rc.html

It is already in a few Webs in English:

_http://www.nature.com/news/fat-fuels-cancer-s-spread-in-mice-1.21092

Article:

_http://www.nature.com/articles/nature20791.epdf?referrer_access_token=TgjV3frUb5uuelux9pqTP9RgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0PXgBJ7gTORH9oXZrcpIj5GSh2CYq2pu8Tkf1aRmk013oMdtkFfae_jdMvJQiXVTd7aFwNn7usOWEgv4F0zVc9cUllnYjCGvL3UxtXHsdBMGtlVkM4tYP2N-Lr9oKhmOiiaDYVjCvF9m8TFUDmkXd-67JWGtkAqWMOO-LWYNy5Gtdb1wEbS3OuRGMkHE1ti9KE%3D&tracking_referrer=www.nature.com

Fat fuels cancer’s spread in mice
Dietary needs of these wandering cells could prove to be their Achilles heel.
Heidi Ledford
07 December 2016

The cells responsible for cancer’s spread — and for most deaths from cancer — may have a fatal weakness according to studies in mice: a reliance on certain fats to fuel their invasion.

It is a difficult and hazardous undertaking for a cancer cell to uproot itself, travel through the bloodstream and take hold in an entirely different part of the body. (Non-cancerous cells are often programmed to self-destruct if they leave the tissue they live in.) Researchers have long struggled to understand which cancer cells can manage the feat, and how they do so.

But a study published on 7 December in Nature1 has identified a population of oral tumour cells that are able to make the journey in mice, and has found that such cells may feast on fats to fuel the trip. Determining how certain cancer cells spread throughout the body — a process called metastasis — is a big step forward, says Xiang Zhang, a cancer researcher at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas, who was not involved in the study. “Now people have a suspect they can follow.”

To find that suspect, Salvador Aznar Benitah of the Institute for Research in Biomedicine at the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology in Spain and his colleagues looked among oral-cancer cells for those that could seed tumours. Within that population of cells, the team found some that expressed high levels of a molecule called CD36, which helps cells to take up lipids from their environment.

Such lipids could serve as an energy source for wandering tumour cells, they reasoned. “Metastasis takes a lot of energy,” says Ernst Lengyel, a gynaecological oncologist at the University of Chicago in Illinois, who was not involved in the project. “As a cell you must be able to adapt to changing environments, reprogram protein expression, establish a beachhead and start proliferating as soon as possible.”

Stopping the spread
Benitah and his team found that high CD36 expression was required for metastasis in mice. Antibodies that blocked CD36 — and eliminated its interaction with fatty acids — completely inhibited metastasis, although they did not affect the development of primary tumours.

The researchers also mined public databases and found that high expression of CD36 correlated with poor medical outcomes in bladder, lung, breast and other cancers in people.

Benitah’s team is now working to develop antibodies against CD36 that could be used in clinical trials, although he estimates it would take at least another four years to reach that milestone. Benitah notes that such a therapy may be effective even after cancer has started to spread: in mice, experimental antibodies eradicated metastatic tumours 15% of the time. The remaining metastatic tumours shrunk by at least 80%.

The team is also looking at the implications of another finding: feeding the mice a high-fat diet led to more and larger tumours in the lymph nodes and lungs — a sign of metastasis — compared with mice on normal diets. Benitah’s team is now carrying out a study that aims to enrol 1,000 people with cancer, profiling lipids in their blood to look for any links to the spread of cancer cells.

But at this stage, it is too early to tell people to avoid fatty foods, cautions Lengyel — especially people with cancer who may need a high-energy diet. “That’s a very dangerous message,” he says.

AFAIK, good fats (saturated) are good. I don't know much about science or medicine so I post this here in case some person can have a look and give an opinion.

For me it will just be interesting to see if some MSM throws the baby out with the bathwater and starts to rant again: fats are evil!

Yeah, you would need to know what type of fats the diet consisted of. That stood out for me when reading this study.

WIN 52 said:
Yeah, you would need to know what type of fats the diet consisted of. That stood out for me when reading this study.

According to the article they fed the mice something called 60/Fat Research diet (TD.06414, Harlan). Here's the ingredients. Not good any way you slice it. A large portion consists of lard but the other ingredients are crap. And how much fat is a mouse supposed to eat anyway?

Bunk study, IMO.

Miguel Ángel said:
For me it will just be interesting to see if some MSM throws the baby out with the bathwater and starts to rant again: fats are evil!

I would pretty much imagine that's the case :( now that a lot of MSM are putting out information about good and healthy fats, maybe someone up there got mad about it... :whistle:

Marina9 said:
Miguel Ángel said:

I would pretty much imagine that's the case :( now that a lot of MSM are putting out information about good and healthy fats, maybe someone up there got mad about it... :whistle:

I think so too that most likely many will spread the news and blame again fats. And as Odyssey wrote these are not just fats, but consists of many other stuff too:

Formula g/kg:

Maltodextrin 160.0
Sucrose 90.0
Lard 310.0
Soybean Oil 30.0
Cellulose 65.5
Mineral Mix, AIN-93G-MX (94046) 48.0
Calcium Phosphate, dibasic 3.4
Vitamin Mix, AIN-93-VX (94047) 21.0
Choline Bitartrate 3.0 manufacturing date, and lot number
Blue Food Color 0.1

I think too that it is a bunk study.

Gawan said:

Pretty much like all the studies used to demonize fat. They use toxic vegetable oils such as soy bean oil, and then blame the lard. This is what Ancel Keys did back in the 50s.

These researchers are still in the dark ages when it comes to fat research. More info here.

Gaby said:
Gawan said:

Pretty much like all the studies used to demonize fat. They use toxic vegetable oils such as soy bean oil, and then blame the lard. This is what Ancel Keys did back in the 50s.

These researchers are still in the dark ages when it comes to fat research. More info here.

Yeah, and Odyssey's question about how much fat a rat should eat is also important. Many animals differ from us in the amount of fat they should get from their diet. As far as I know, dogs, for example, need lots of protein and also carbs, so a very fatty diet wouldn't be so beneficial for them. Humans' need of fat is very high, that's also why humans' milk is higher in fat than any other mammals milk (or at least that's what I remember reading).

Yas said:
Humans' need of fat is very high, that's also why humans' milk is higher in fat than any other mammals milk (or at least that's what I remember reading).

Maybe it was about something else? Because human milk has 3%--5% of fat, while other mammals have much higher percentages. For example:

Out of all the types of milk sometimes consumed by people, reindeer milk has the most fat, with 22.5 percent fat. Philippines buffalo milk has 10.9 percent fat, yak milk can contain up to 9 percent fat, sheep milk has 5.3 percent fat, cow milk has between 4 and 5.5 percent fat, camel milk has 4.9 percent fat, goat milk has 3.5 percent fat and horse milk has 1.6 grams of fat.

Doesn't cancer cell metabolism purely rely on fermentation? How then fat per se can promote cancer cell growth?

aimarok said:
Doesn't cancer cell metabolism purely rely on fermentation? How then fat per se can promote cancer cell growth?

It is the same mechanism as to why heated vegetable oil produces heart disease. Here is more information:

Why This Common Cooking Oil is a Cancer Nightmare
https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/common-cooking-oil-cancer-nightmare/

6 Reasons Why Vegetable Oils Can be Harmful
https://authoritynutrition.com/6-reasons-why-vegetable-oils-are-toxic/

Keit said:
Yas said:
Humans' need of fat is very high, that's also why humans' milk is higher in fat than any other mammals milk (or at least that's what I remember reading).

Maybe it was about something else? Because human milk has 3%--5% of fat, while other mammals have much higher percentages. For example:

Out of all the types of milk sometimes consumed by people, reindeer milk has the most fat, with 22.5 percent fat. Philippines buffalo milk has 10.9 percent fat, yak milk can contain up to 9 percent fat, sheep milk has 5.3 percent fat, cow milk has between 4 and 5.5 percent fat, camel milk has 4.9 percent fat, goat milk has 3.5 percent fat and horse milk has 1.6 grams of fat.

I went back to the articles on SOTT where I read something about human milk and fat and saw that some say the fat percentage is around 50% fat. And that what is particular about human milk is not the percentage of fat, but the fat profile, because it contains lots of Medium Chain fatty acids which are very good for energy, easily digested, etc... The articles are in Spanish, they are about fat in general, so they just mention something about human milk, for example, here and here. And also this one, from Mercola:

And then there's human breast milk, which contains 54% of saturated fat. Because breast milk is the most perfect food available for developing babies, the presence of high amounts of saturated fat can not be easily seen as an "error."

And, yes, I guess I confused things, because I really don't know about the fat percentage in other mammal's milk so I can't say that it is higher in humans milk, I'm sorry for the noise :-[

Gaby said:
Gawan said:

Yes. This dishonnest article reminds us that psychopaths continue to drive medical research. I can tesfify that they are not rare in medical field. Moreover, when there are studies asked by pharmaceutical laboratories, it's the psychopathic collegues who are the most interested in doing such job (money++). This would not be a real problem if they do the job with ethical code, but they do it just for the pleasure to misguide.

Back
Top Bottom