Electronic Screen Syndrome: An Unrecognized Disorder?

neonix

Jedi Council Member
Electronic Screen Syndrome: An Unrecognized Disorder?
Screentime and the rise of mental disorders in children.
Posted Jul 23, 2012

by Victoria L. Dunckley M.D.
Mental Wealth

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mental-wealth/201207/electronic-screen-syndrome-unrecognized-disorder

“He’s revved up all the time.”
“He can’t focus at all and is totally defiant. Getting ready for school or bedtime is a daily nightmare.”
“She’s exhausted and has meltdowns even when she’s slept enough.”
“He flies into a rage over the slightest thing. The other kids don’t want to play with him anymore.”
“Her grades have gone downhill this year and we don’t know why.”

The above symptoms or complaints are so common nearly every parent will relate to one or more of them. Psychiatric symptoms from various disorders can have a lot of overlap, and this is especially true when it comes to children. This overlapping nature coupled with today’s overstimulating high-tech environment has led to an epidemic of misdiagnosed mental disorders, which in turn lends itself to inappropriate psychotropic medication prescribing and misuse of precious resources.

The two most overdiagnosed disorders in the pediatric population that I’ve encountered over the last ten years are (by far and away) childhood bipolar disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD or ADD)—both of which can lead to taking medication with significant side effects. Visits for youths diagnosed with pediatric bipolar disorder increased 40-fold from 1994 to 2003.[1] Between 1980 and 2007 the diagnosis of ADHD has increased by nearly 800 percent[2] [3]. And there have been sharp rises in psychotropic prescribing in children over the past two decades, including antipsychotics and stimulants.

[..]
Electronic Screen Syndrome: An Unrecognized, Modern-Day Disorder

If you follow my other posts you may know that I blame a lot of mental health woes on the effects of electronic screen media. I firmly believe that the unnaturally stimulating nature of an electronic screen—irrespective of the content it brings—has ill effects on our mental and physical health at multiple levels. Screen-related effects can present in many shapes and forms. Although varied, many of the effects can be grouped into symptoms related to mood, cognition, and behavior. The root of these symptoms appears to be linked to repeated stress on the nervous system, making self-regulation and stress management less efficient. Because of the complicated and varied nature of screens’ effects, I’ve found it helpful to conceptualize the phenomena in terms of a syndrome—what I call Electronic Screen Syndrome (ESS). ESS can occur in the absence of a psychiatric disorder and mimic it, or it can occur in the face of an underlying disorder, exacerbating it.

ESS is essentially a disorder of dysregulation. Dysregulation can be defined as an inability to modulate one’s mood, attention, or level of arousal in a manner appropriate to one’s environment. Interacting with screens shifts the nervous system into fight-or-flight mode which leads to dysregulation and disorganization of various biological systems. Sometimes this stress response is immediate and pronounced (say while playing an action video game), and other times the response is more subtle and may happen only after a certain amount of repetition (say while texting). The mechanisms for screens causing a stress response are varied and are a topic for another day. In short though, interacting with screen devices causes a child to become overstimulated and “revved up.”

ESS Characteristics in Children

[...]
1. The child exhibits symptoms related to mood, anxiety, cognition, behavior, or social interactions that cause significant impairment in school, at home, or with peers. Typical signs/symptoms mimic chronic stress and include irritable, depressed or labile mood, excessive tantrums, low frustration tolerance, poor self-regulation, disorganized behavior, oppositional-defiant behaviors, poor sportsmanship, social immaturity, poor eye contact, insomnia/non-restorative sleep, learning difficulties, and poor short-term memory.

2. ESS may occur in the absence or presence of other psychiatric, neurological, behavior or learning disorders, and can mimic or exacerbate virtually any mental-health related disorder.

[...]
5. Vulnerability factors exist and include: male gender, pre-existing psychiatric, neurodevelopmental, learning, or behavior disorders, co-existing stressors, and total lifetime electronic media exposure. At particular risk may be boys with ADHD and/or autsim spectrum disorders.
[...]

Thanks neonix. It is deeply concerning to witness how prevalent this has become. Especially in children, since their whole system is still in the phase of development.

I firmly believe that the unnaturally stimulating nature of an electronic screen—irrespective of the content it brings—has ill effects on our mental and physical health at multiple levels.

The author's belief seems to be correct. Simply looking at an electronic screen without eye protection induces a stress response both at the cellular and hormonal level. This is a natural process, but the main problem here is that there are no longer wave frequencies contained within the artificial light to counteract the cellular stress caused by the shorter wavelengths (blue). What this equates to is a constant physiological stressor, and paves the way for eventual chronic inflammation in the eye, the brain, and generally everywhere else in the body. Not to mention the lack of melatonin production at night time to initiate regeneration. When we consider the artificial light, EMF, poor food and environmental toxicity, it is truly no wonder that we see massive increases in psychiatric illness.

I'm not sure how it can get any worse at this point.. :huh:

Keyhole said:
Thanks neonix. It is deeply concerning to witness how prevalent this has become. Especially in children, since their whole system is still in the phase of development.

I firmly believe that the unnaturally stimulating nature of an electronic screen—irrespective of the content it brings—has ill effects on our mental and physical health at multiple levels.

The author's belief seems to be correct. Simply looking at an electronic screen without eye protection induces a stress response both at the cellular and hormonal level. This is a natural process, but the main problem here is that there are no longer wave frequencies contained within the artificial light to counteract the cellular stress caused by the shorter wavelengths (blue). What this equates to is a constant physiological stressor, and paves the way for eventual chronic inflammation in the eye, the brain, and generally everywhere else in the body. Not to mention the lack of melatonin production at night time to initiate regeneration. When we consider the artificial light, EMF, poor food and environmental toxicity, it is truly no wonder that we see massive increases in psychiatric illness.

I'm not sure how it can get any worse at this point.. :huh:

Yes, it is a huge concern. It was mentioned by Jack Kruse that the eye is actually protected from blue light by DHA. However, it was also mentioned in the H&W podcast that supplemental DHA can be harmful as it acts as a suppressor to the functions of the immune system, if I recall correctly. Just wondering whether doing fish oil would still have any protective effect against excessive blue light exposure.

bm said:
Yes, it is a huge concern. It was mentioned by Jack Kruse that the eye is actually protected from blue light by DHA. However, it was also mentioned in the H&W podcast that supplemental DHA can be harmful as it acts as a suppressor to the functions of the immune system, if I recall correctly. Just wondering whether doing fish oil would still have any protective effect against excessive blue light exposure.
I think you might have remembered incorrectly bm, because I don't recall Kruse saying that DHA protects the eye. Unfortunately, it is the opposite way round. Due to it's molecular configuration, DHA is incapable of protecting pretty much anything. And so it needs to be protected by other substances like iodine etc.

DHA and other PUFAs are extremely susceptible to oxidation. Kruse promotes the idea that eating more DHA can counteract the deficit produced by oxidation in the eye/skin, however the evidence does not support this theory IMO. Fish oil is a PUFA, like vegetable oils, and PUFAs appear to play an important role in lowering immunity, the induction of insulin resistance, and disease generation. However, these are just my thoughts on it at the moment, and others may have differing views, so take it FWIW.

Added note: As a practical consideration for protecting the eye against oxidation, you may be interested in buying a pair of blue-blocking glasses. There was a discussion about which types might be suitable on this thread: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,42643.msg675747.html#msg675747

Back
Top Bottom