Obama commutes much of Chelsea Manning's sentence

Source: https://www.rt.com/usa/374010-obama-commute-manning-sentence/

President Barack Obama has shortened the prison sentence of former Army private and whistleblower Chelsea Manning, She will be released on May 17, instead of remaining in military custody until 2045 as originally sentenced.

Hmm, one thing right at least done by Obama... however I wonder what is the counterpart to be provided for such a thing?
Probably related in part to what J. Assange said:

Source: _http://5hotnews.com/2016/09/16/wikileaks-assange-ready-to-surrender-to-the-us-authorities-in-exchange-for-a-pardon-manning/

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange willing to stand trial in the US, if President Barack Obama pardoned serving a 35-year term of the organization informant Chelsea manning. The entry about this appeared in the official account of WikiLeaks on Twitter.

Hopefully Assange goes back on his word and doesn't fall for this. That could very well be one of the reasons Obama made this decision. It also seems like a PR stunt, like a last move to try and solidify his 'nice guy' image in the minds of the masses.

Too little, too late, though, at least for those of us paying attention. Especially because Manning attempted suicide while locked up - the psychological damage is already done and will probably remain a lifelong scar.

Huh! Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't heard about Chelsea's sentencing being shorten. It hard to say what the motives for such a move is at the moment, all I do know is that it most certainly wasn't some kind of act of kindness from Obama's part. I guess we shall wait and see.

The WikiLeaks whistleblowing website called outgoing US President Barack Obama’s decision to commute sentence for whistleblower Chelsea Manning a victory.

'Victory': WikiLeaks Praises Commuting Sentence for Chelsea Manning
https://sputniknews.com/us/201701181049701981-wikileaks-chelsea-manning-victory/

The WikiLeaks tweeted a statement praising Obama’s decision that was announced on Tuesday by the White House.

“VICTORY: Obama commutes Chelsea Manning sentence from 35 years to 7. Release date now May 17,” Wikileaks wrote on its Twitter page.

Manning was arrested in May 2010 in Iraq, while serving in the US army. Then-Bradley Manning admitted disclosing classified information to WikiLeaks, concerning deaths among civilians caused by US airstrikes, Guantanamo prisoners and about 250,000 US diplomatic letters. In August 2013, the whistleblower was sentenced to 35 years in prison.

US whistleblower Edward Snowden thanked on Wednesday outgoing US President Barack Obama for commuting sentence for another whistleblower Chelsea Manning from 35 years to seven.

'Thanks, Obama!' Snowden Reacts to Commuting Sentence for Whistleblower Manning
https://sputniknews.com/us/201701181049702408-snowden-obama-manning/

President Barack Obama cut Chelsea Manning's sentence on Tuesday.

“Let it be said here in earnest, with good heart: Thanks, Obama,” Snowden wrote on his Twitter page.

He thanked Manning for everything she had done. “To all who campaigned for clemency on Manning's behalf these last hard years, thank you. You made this happen,” Snowden added.

Obama’s decision was announced on Tuesday by the White House.

Maria Zakharova, spokesperson for the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, has bashed the former deputy director of the CIA, Michael Morell, for suggesting that Edward Snowden should be an inauguration 'gift' from Vladimir Putin to Donald Trump. Zakharova also revealed that Snowden’s asylum in Russia has been extended for 'a couple of years.'

Russia Extends Snowden Asylum, Slams Tip to ‘Present’ Him as Gift to Trump
https://sputniknews.com/politics/201701181049701218-russia-extends-snowden-asylum-gift/

In an op-ed published in the intelligence and security publication The Cipher Brief, Morell called the extradition of whistleblower Snowden to the United States the "perfect inauguration gift," and declared that the confidential information leaked by Snowden "benefited [Daesh]… the damage caused was profound."

Morell stated that he believes it would be smart of Putin to perform the extradition, as it would help Trump "overlook Moscow's anti-democratic activities at home and destabilizing activities abroad." He also called the would-be extradition a "poke… in the eye of [Putin's] adversary Barack Obama."

I'm well aware that Russia does not have an extradition treaty with the US, but I am confident that President Putin is creative enough to find a way within his own legal system to deport Snowden."

In response to Morell's comments, Zakharova made a post on her public Facebook page in which she said, "this is not the first time he has made misanthropic, inhumane statements." She specifically pointed to a television interview Morell conducted in August 2016, in which he claimed that the United States should make Iranian and Russian soldiers in Syria "pay a price" for their involvement in the civil war. He called for the "covert" assassination of Russian and Iranian soldiers, as well as the bombing of Syrian government installations. Zakharova said, in condemning Morell's op-ed comments about Snowden, "It is clear that, for the CIA-man's firm, it is normal to present people as gifts and give up those who seek protection."

You failed to understand Russia, Michael Morell," she stated.

Significantly, Zakharova mocked the fact that the "former deputy head of the CIA… doesn't know that Snowden has had the deadline for a residence permit in Russia extended for a couple more years." Snowden's original asylum was to expire in 2017, but Zakharova has confirmed that a renewal has been secured. Morell, who was deputy CIA director from 2010-2013, also served twice as acting director: for three months in 2011, and for four months in 2012-2013. He retired from intelligence in 2013 and has been vocally anti-Trump, anti-Putin, and anti-Snowden in recent years. He called alleged Russian interference in the presidential election the "political equivalent of 9/11" and called Donald Trump a "gift to Putin." He also vocally supported Hillary Clinton during the election.

I'm happy to read that Manning will be released! It would have been even better if it was "time served" and not in May. A lot can happen between now and then, especially if the prison 'guards' are not happy about it. Here's praying those psychos in charge have been put on a short leash. They have tortured that soul quite long enough.

Lilou said:
I'm happy to read that Manning will be released! It would have been even better if it was "time served" and not in May. A lot can happen between now and then, especially if the prison 'guards' are not happy about it. Here's praying those psychos in charge have been put on a short leash. They have tortured that soul quite long enough.

I'm wondering why Manning's release is being put off until May?

m said:

Me too! Since Julian Assange offered to turn himself over if Manning was "pardoned" and Obama only "commuted" his sentence, I guess that lets Assange of the hook? I dunno...it is criminal the way Manning has been treated and neither Snowden or Assange should ever trust any "deal" that may be offered. Especially if Mr. "Law and Order" Sessions is confirmed as head of justice and Trump has a history of not keeping his end of deals (ex. not paying contractors for work they've done). This new administration could swing in ways we least expect.

Hmmm, Manning got treated like a traitor and kept under inhumane conditions for long enough to make him attempt suicide. And now he's being released?

It just goes to show how much of a commodity human life is to the establishment. "First I will torture you because it serves me politically, and now I will release you because I want a legacy that isn't tied to messing up US-Russian relations."

It's almost as if Obama expects people to forget that the reason Manning is being released (and it's big news) is because he was inprisioned.

Great, Chelsea out. Obama in.

Obama is doing a good job of making prison cell available. Draining the swamp will require a lot of prison space.

In this way Obama can trade places with Chelsea on May 17. Smart thinking.

m said:

I haven't been able to figure out the significance of May 17, which is on a Wednesday? In an odd way, there's the general feeling that Obama's pardon of Chelsea Manning is being "used" to flush out Edward Snowden and that the stage was set when Julian Assange agree to "US extradition" if Obama grants Manning clemency? I might be looking at this wrong but it's my understanding, ​the US justice Department never announced any indictments against Assange, formally but that he is subject to a European arrest warrant - over sexual assault claims allegedly committed in Sweden? I don't see Assange making any moves by running out the front door of London's Ecuadorian embassy to greet US deportation officers? So far, Assange is all fluff and hot air!

Like Manning, Snowden revelations were instrumental in exposing illegal US government practices. I remember, while Snowden was stuck at the Airport when he was stripped of his Passport and Russia offered him Asylum, news reports were filled with Killary being livid at both - Russia and Snowden's leaks. Guess, she has more to hide? Now, you have former deputy head of the CIA, Morell calling on the extradition of Snowden - as a "perfect inauguration gift"? In a sense, Assange sets up the "play" and Morell comes in with "the punch line"? Zakharova, in turn, dropped both of them in their tracts when she stated, " Russia does not have an extradition treaty with the US."

Still doesn't explain - May 17?

m said:

From wikipedia:

On January 17, 2017, President Barack Obama commuted (reduced) Manning's sentence to a total of 7 years of confinement dating from the date of arrest by military authorities. Manning is scheduled to be freed on May 17, 2017.[19]

Apparently, the original date of arrest was somewhere in May 2010. The Dutch version of Wikipedia states May 26, 2010.

m said:

Under the terms of the commutation announced by the White House on Tuesday, Ms. Manning is set to be freed on May 17 of this year rather than in 2045. A senior administration official said the 120-day delay was part of a standard transition period for commutations to time served, and was designed to allow for such steps as finding a place for Ms. Manning to live after her release.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/us/politics/obama-commutes-bulk-of-chelsea-mannings-sentence.html

bjorn said:
Great, Chelsea out. Obama in.

Obama is doing a good job of making prison cell available. Draining the swamp will require a lot of prison space.

In this way Obama can trade places with Chelsea on May 17. Smart thinking.

Actually that would be the only right thing in a sane world. As for Obamas "humble move there ", I'm fairly certain that this is a PR stunt and nothing more. Gives him a good image when he leaves and also a "humble image" to the democrats as a whole. Doesn't fly...

Snowden is fake. In the months after he arrived in Russia, he gave a video interview with one of the US major network's nightly news, and he talked about 9/11 as if the official narrative is true.

hlat said:
It was interesting in the Snowden interview that aired tonight that he describes himself as a spy who worked for several federal agencies in traditional spy roles overseas as well as a lecturer in house. However, he then talks about 9/11 as if terrorists attacked with no hint of a false flag. It's rather obvious that he is part of the disinformation program, as any real spy would know that 9/11 was a false flag.

In Chelsea Manning’s first column since her commutation, she writes that Barack Obama’s legacy is a warning against not being bold enough.

Compromise does not work with our political opponents. When will we learn?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/25/compromise-doesnt-work-political-opponents-chelsea-manning

Thursday 26 January 2017 - Barack Obama left behind hints of a progressive legacy. Unfortunately, despite his faith in our system and his positive track record on many issues over the last eight years, there have been very few permanent accomplishments. (Article continues.)

Back
Top Bottom