Recommended Books: Discussion

will01 said:
Can anyone recommend a book that explains how to deal/live with a narcissist? I've read reviews of the big 5, but thought one may detail this aspect more than the others. I have myth of sanity, but have not read it yet.

There's also Alice Miller's work such as The Drama of the Gifted Child that is very worth checking out.

Altair said:
will01 said:
Can anyone recommend a book that explains how to deal/live with a narcissist? I've read reviews of the big 5, but thought one may detail this aspect more than the others. I have myth of sanity, but have not read it yet.

Perhaps this one Character Disturbance: The Phenomenon of Our Age. I'd recommend to read the big 5 books in proper order, though (as in the list).
Yes, Character Disturbance. Then perhaps When the Body Says No or the Narcissistic Family.

Thankyou for all the replies :).

Altair said:
Perhaps this one Character Disturbance: The Phenomenon of Our Age. I'd recommend to read the big 5 books in proper order, though (as in the list).

Anthony said:
There's also Alice Miller's work such as The Drama of the Gifted Child that is very worth checking out.

hlat said:
Yes, Character Disturbance. Then perhaps When the Body Says No or the Narcissistic Family.

Both these books have a lot of good reviews, so I'll check them out, thanks.

I'm currently reading When the Body Says No (great book) and am keen to get the Narcissistic Family.

All these books sure do add up, but what price knowledge? Took a copy of the recommended books list to my local library, but came up empty on their database. Kindle editions can save some cash though and I've managed to get a few used books at good prices, so I'll keep an eye out.

Last night I found a website where you can read a wide selection of books on line. Nice find I think.

I was looking at my amazon book list and noticed one I had saved was not available and need to wait for a new shipment. This book was "Messengers of Deception" by Jacques Valle. I did a little search and found the entire book on this site! I haven't looked at the site very closely so don't know the range of books here but may be worth a look. I see Laura's book "Organic Portals" is there listed with Gurdjieff.

-http://www.slideshare.net/search/slideshow?searchfrom=header&q=gurdjieff&ud=any&ft=all&lang=en&sort=

home page: -http://www.slideshare.net/

SummerLite said:
Last night I found a website where you can read a wide selection of books on line. Nice find I think.

I was looking at my amazon book list and noticed one I had saved was not available and need to wait for a new shipment. This book was "Messengers of Deception" by Jacques Valle. I did a little search and found the entire book on this site! I haven't looked at the site very closely so don't know the range of books here but may be worth a look. I see Laura's book "Organic Portals" is there listed with Gurdjieff.

-http://www.slideshare.net/search/slideshow?searchfrom=header&q=gurdjieff&ud=any&ft=all&lang=en&sort=

home page: -http://www.slideshare.net/

Would the books shared here be done so with the author's permission?

It seems to me that there is no book by Laura with the title "organic Portals". Articles yes, but book?

Altair said:
will01 said:

Another good one also by George K. Simon: In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People

Ennio said:
Altair said:
will01 said:

Another good one also by George K. Simon: In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People

Looks like there are a few books dealing with this issue. Thanks for the recommended title :).

Would the books shared here be done so with the author's permission?

Good question will01. I thought of this as well. Not very good if permission hasn't been given. I went back to the sight to see if I could find something on this but found nothing. The sight is a bit vague. Maybe a person needs to be a member to find out about posting others books.

Yes Organic Portals is a article, sorry about that, a little mind blip. I was thinking of "Almost Human". Under Laura's' name I did find the complete book of "High Strangeness" though.

This is posted under the book window with information about her and other book publications. It looks like the book was downloaded 3/28/15.

First published 2004 Copyright 1994-2005 Laura Knight-Jadczyk http://www.cassiopaea.org/ All Rights Reserved ISBN 0-9764064-6-2 No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, or otherwise, other than for “fair use”, without the written consent of the author. Some material in this book appeared in a slightly different form in the book The Secret History of the World. Printed in Canada

Legit? Perhaps this is considered "fair use".

For everyone interested in information about the life of Gurdjieff and his students, the book Struggle of the Magicians has been replaced (on the CassWiki version of the list) with William Patterson's newer book Georgi Ivanovitch Gurdjieff: The Man, The Teaching, His Mission. It's basically a massive overhaul of SotM, including much more information on the later years - and the focus and overall picture ends up broader and clearer with all the additional information.

Can anyone recommend or say something this book:

It Starts With Food
by Dallas Hartwig, Melissa Hartwig

http://www.amazon.com/Starts-Food-Discover-Whole30-Unexpected/dp/1628600543/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Kosma said:
Can anyone recommend or say something this book:

It Starts With Food
by Dallas Hartwig, Melissa Hartwig

http://www.amazon.com/Starts-Food-Discover-Whole30-Unexpected/dp/1628600543/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

I haven't read the book but here's their website. On the whole, it looks like their recommendations are fairly sound. Google some podcasts/youtube videos or interviews with them. It may give you a fuller picture.

will01 said:
Thankyou for all the replies :).

Altair said:

Anthony said:

hlat said:

Both these books have a lot of good reviews, so I'll check them out, thanks.

I'm currently reading When the Body Says No (great book) and am keen to get the Narcissistic Family.

All these books sure do add up, but what price knowledge? Took a copy of the recommended books list to my local library, but came up empty on their database. Kindle editions can save some cash though and I've managed to get a few used books at good prices, so I'll keep an eye out.

Hey Will01,

I did the same. Took the list to the library and they didn't have any. So I'm going through and when i can afford it, buying them as hard copies and kindle too if i've finished books and waiting on more but don't want to wait :)

Dabrowski's theory of positive disintegration is the latest book i've read. If anyones having trouble or feels they are experiencing levels of suffering, i would recommend it as its a great book on this subject and what it can mean for personality shaping :)

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the old versions of The Wave Series and the new.Speaking of "new", I'm new to this forum. Nice to meet everyone :-)

Back
Top Bottom