Tai Chi Practioners...

GreyCat, as it turns out, I'm off to Taiwan very soon, when are you going to be there, I'd love to see your show! I am going primarily to (re)learn Mandarin so it can't do any harm speaking about the Cassie stuff in Chinese now can it?

As regards to the usefulness of Tai Chi... Words do not do it justice; it all depends on the individual to see what it brings.

Novelis said:
Hello everyone!!
Let me just begin with a few niceties, I adore the site, it's been a real source of inspiration and...dare I say it, guidance.

I am wondering if anyone here practices any form of yoga/martial arts? I'd love to discuss any experiences anyone might have had.
Personally I found the combination of yoga and Pilates to be quite a nice juxtaposition. The latter will strengthen your abs, which will help with body posture and easing physical work. Beware of "Hollywood instructors". I found them to be annoying and silly (in their self-importance).

Atreides said:
On another note. The pursuit of advancement has been replaced with the illusion of attaining some special psychic power. Remember this is the physical realm, if you aren't prepared for the hurdles here, you sure as hell aren't prepared for those at the next stage. This constant focus on practicing meditation to try to manifest some sort of pyshical protection is a red herring spiritually. It is one thing to be AWARE of the possibility, it is another to delude yourself into thinking you can ACTUALIZE the possibility.
I totally agree. The attainment of some special psychic abilities must never be the goal in mind while advancing with the practices. I find that it's best to find your level and work from there. With new energy ways, it's impossible to work above your own ability, the only thing you can do is become gradually more aware of the state of your energetic fields and work out how it applies to your physical body. Once the problem is uncovered, you can then use Tai chi, massage, new energy ways and rest to heal the weaker parts of yourself. By responding and acting on your weaknesses and working to become more aware of deeper problems, you are keeping your feet on the ground, working on the level you are on, after the weakness has been healed and strengthened, then another weakness becomes noticeable. Increased psychic abilities I found is just a side effect of this self healing process. I must admit that sometimes I fantasize of attaining higher levels of psychic abilities, since the awareness of how attuned you can potentially get become more and more vast as you progress, but, I know they are merely imaginings of possibilities beyond your current scope of understanding, it's a potential, not something I am confident will actualize, after all, why should I dictate what level I can achieve? I always find that with Qi gong of this kind, the psychic abilities that are "given" to me are never what I expect, your potential unravels itself truly only when you work without expectation.
The creator of Aikido once said something along the lines of:
Heaven is above, Earth is below, and so it is HERE that I train.

I agree with alot of what O-Sensei taught, but his later writings reflected his religious conversion and I don't agree with them most of the time as they seem to mimic the same old new age nonesense. I have yet to see a demonstration of "powers" that could not be put down to physical and neuro-linguistic subtility, for the most part. I agree that there is something there to find, but like the star, disappears when you look.

I had the pleasure of attending a Tai Chi flow session this past weekend and it was very relaxing, interesting stuff. The instructor, Rick Starks is a long time student of David-Dorean Ross (__http://www.daviddorianross.com/home) who from what I gather is very well known in the world Tai Chi in the USA. Mr. Starks runs something called Medition in Motion (__https://www.facebook.com/Meditation-in-Motion-867567919925237 / __http://www.meditationinmotion.co/ ) and there are instructors that offer free short online classes Monday through Saturday, twice each day. I tuned in to one of the online classes today led by Mr. Starks' daughter Cassie and it was decent, shorter than the session Mr. Starks gave this past weekend, but still good.

So for anyone that wants to check into it you can find it at Tajifit - __https://taijifit.net/free-online-tai-chi-classes/ - classes are at 6am and 5pm Pacific Time.

The cool thing about this is that it isn't the martial self-defense aspect of Tai Chi, it's just flow and meditative to some extent. If anyone decides to tune in you'll find that the classes use something called Zoom, which is a Web-based audio video streaming tool, looks like it's based on WebRTC technology so any modern version of a browser should work, except maybe IE, but who uses that anyway ;) In my case I had to download a Zoom app since I use Linux, and it works!

Funny timing that this comes up as I've been thinking of starting doing a bit of tai chi everyday lately (just thinking about it so far)
I did a season of tai chi classes every morning when I was 15 or 16, not with wanting to achieve any special powers in mind, but just that I thought I should do something with my self and it seemed as a healthy choice to do that. I did achieve to be able to stand with bended knees and lifted arms, staring into a wall for half an hour, and was amazed that after the first 15 minutes when I thought I was gonna die from the pain in the muscles, I got lighter and lighter, and by the time the teacher said the half hour was up, I felt as I was weightless and could have continued forever (it kind of made me believe that monks can really levitate)

Then I saw this https://www.facebook.com/dragontaichi/videos/1054993117872666/?pnref=story a while ago and the elegance and strength made me cry, and I thought that this is what I want to be, if not physically, then mentally and emotionally, and so I thought that doing a bit everyday might help a bit becoming more like that..

Niall said:
... but I wonder if the the dedication required to fully engage with it is 'worth it': I always think back to what what the C's say - it is the SOUL that matters!

I'd say that if "fully engage" means stopping doing other important soul work, then no. But martial arts and yoga are, like breathing exercises, a way to help the body work optimally while also training other bodies (mental, emotional etc.) and that engaging fully for between 10 minutes and an hour a day is worth it.....at least I'm pretty sure that if I had continued doing that for the last 30 years I would have been stronger, calmer and more elegant than I am now, which might have helped me in my soul work, as I feel that all my time is spend doing work to get myself to stop being sick and brain foggy and emotionally unstable and not much time is left to do soul work (unless the work to get better on those levels is soul work as well...hm dunno)

I think eastern martial arts can really help you with breathing and controlling yourself.
I have never trained any martial arts, but would love trying Tai Chi if there was any school where I live.

PerfectCircle said:
I think eastern martial arts can really help you with breathing and controlling yourself.
I have never trained any martial arts, but would love trying Tai Chi if there was any school where I live.

I have been taking classes off and on for sometime, and I have noticed that it really helps increase strength and balance - which is really important the older one gets. What has been a lifesaver is that when I would have anxiety attacks, the hour long class with the slow flowing movements, which forced me to concentrate along with the continual deep breathing would completely change my mental outlook and physiology.

You don't necessarily have to find a school, as there are many community centers that have classes and youtube has many short videos that can help you learn the basics. Even a short practice session of Tai Chi or Chi gong can be beneficial.

aleana said:
PerfectCircle said:

I have been taking classes off and on for sometime, and I have noticed that it really helps increase strength and balance - which is really important the older one gets. What has been a lifesaver is that when I would have anxiety attacks, the hour long class with the slow flowing movements, which forced me to concentrate along with the continual deep breathing would completely change my mental outlook and physiology.

You don't necessarily have to find a school, as there are many community centers that have classes and youtube has many short videos that can help you learn the basics. Even a short practice session of Tai Chi or Chi gong can be beneficial.

Interesting, thank you. I will specially look for those balance excercises for those can help me with my acrophobia :)

I've done Chen Tai Chi, Old Frame for quite a few years, maybe 10. It's quite a long form; takes 10 minutes or so to go through the 80 moves. I've found it to be a very beneficial way to bring advances in consciousness out into the world, and to engage the surrounding world in a way that is empowering for myself and others. So, though Chen has some harder kicks and punches, it is an older form; so I learned it in the hopes that the original essence might be there somewhere. I trained with a master of the Chen lineage, actually went to his workshops and a few others. After finding that I was not overly impressed with some of the students' outlooks on life, I drifted away and just practiced on my own and from books.

Chi Kung is a much more efficient way to get in touch with 'Chi', as most people are able to feel it in a few sessions. I did a year of Tai Chi almost daily before I felt anything. So I suggest Chi Kung first personally.

I go into the forest and do Tai Chi, and find it a beautiful way to engage with the world, through movement. I sometimes meditate beforehand, sitting, which by contrast feels so different. I find the moving meditation more natural. After meditating, I find that I can sometimes bring that stillness to the movement. Also, lately I have been going into the forest and smoking tobacco / lobelia, and then practicing Tai Chi, and find that the process lends to a sort of hyper awareness, and the graceful movement has become a metaphor or re-enactment of the 'battle' between light and dark. And this meditation on the essence of the struggle I find useful, and new awarenesseses often arrive during Tai Chi. I'm reminded too of something Ark asked the C's about walking; about whether movement could somehow keep us out of the control system for a time, for clearer thinking. For me Tai Chi becomes this; a way to move and reflect; to weave in and out; to engage the body consciousness at primal levels and to release stagnant fight or flight energy through motion and breath. There's something about moving consciously, very slowly, that somehow puts me outside of time. I've stared in amazement at animals moving or trees wavering, and time was not a real. Also, through the movement when it is smooth, animals seem to show up around me again. Somehow the metaphors of becoming one with nature makes sense. I personally think much of this has been lost on the traditions, and I only stumble on it by 'accident' by being a solo practitioner. But I thought it might be useful for those engaged in this inquiry.

Back
Top Bottom