Éiriú-Eolas - Breathing Program

Lorraine said:
The only problem I'm having with the breathing exercise is losing count :rolleyes: and clearing my throat.

did you try counting the 12 cycles on your fingers, then you only have to do the "in-2-3-4-5-6, hold-2-3, etc." bit in your head, (yes, I know, only 10 fingers, but... you can improvise)

Today I did the breathing exercise while standing up on public transit, on my way to work.

No rapid heart beat but my lungs seemed to fill much more quickly (did not reach the count of 6). Colleagues commented on why I seemed calm in the midst of impending deadline pressures and ongoing project chaos and last minute changes from legal reviewers causing ripple changes in 5000 pages of text.

I shrugged my shoulders and said "What, me worry?" :)

Nomad said:
Lorraine said:
The only problem I'm having with the breathing exercise is losing count :rolleyes: and clearing my throat.

did you try counting the 12 cycles on your fingers, then you only have to do the "in-2-3-4-5-6, hold-2-3, etc." bit in your head, (yes, I know, only 10 fingers, but... you can improvise)

Thanks Nomad for your prompt and encouragement. I'm now starting to get somewhere. I have also decided, for me, that lying down is much easier to get into a relaxed state.

I did the breathing, and I felt something weird in my head while I did the pipe breathing (exhalation ). It was like a resonance in my head and a sensation as when you sumerge in the sea, and this sensation goes down from the head like a wave to the rest of the body. Somebody has felt that?

For those of you who have heard of him, I am on Dr Mercola's email list, and I thought it was interesting that the email he sent out today was focused on a breathing technique taught by by Andrew Weil:

_http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/07/07/The-Most-Powerful-Health-Recommendation-of-Dr-Andrew-Weil.aspx_

I noticed that there were some similarities with the Eiriu-Eolas technique in Laura's video -- similar ratio of inhale to exhale and so forth, and he also mentions a book that might be of interest by Roger Jahnke, OMD entitled 'Breathing Exercises and Self-Healing'.

Just wanted to mention this since it is synchronous with the relatively new focus in this forum on breathing.

shijing said:
For those of you who have heard of him, I am on Dr Mercola's email list, and I thought it was interesting that the email he sent out today was focused on a breathing technique taught by by Andrew Weil:

_http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/07/07/The-Most-Powerful-Health-Recommendation-of-Dr-Andrew-Weil.aspx_

I noticed that there were some similarities with the Eiriu-Eolas technique in Laura's video -- similar ratio of inhale to exhale and so forth, and he also mentions a book that might be of interest by Roger Jahnke, OMD entitled 'Breathing Exercises and Self-Healing'.

Just wanted to mention this since it is synchronous with the relatively new focus in this forum on breathing.

I get his newsletter also, but don't know whether it's "synchronous" or not. I'm sure he's got people watching the internet, and wanting to jump on the "breathing bandwagon."

Something occurred to me today, I made a connection with the breathing exercise (constriction in the throat) and something Laura mentioned in the Adventure Series......
Bold added.....

http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/adventures056.htm
The night before the new pictures were to be made, I was worried about being able to go to sleep due to the strange events surrounding the loss of my films as well as other matters. After lying down, I was just trying to be still and calm down the pain, knowing I wasn't going to be able to go to sleep. I was right in the middle of puzzling over those blasted MRI's, when the next thing I knew there was a sort of momentary "blank-spot" and I came to myself, only to discover that I was being floated out of bed, feet first, by 3 or 4 spidery creatures who had me by the ankle and were "pulling" on me.

I was struggling and resisting and apparently had been doing so even while asleep because I found that my paralyzed arm was extended up over my head and was locked on the brass headboard in a "deathgrip" and the bed was shaking and bouncing with the efforts of my resistance. It was virtually a tug of war and I wasn't going to let go!

I looked at them and the creepy little spider guys realized that I had awakened. One of them put its hand on my head and I felt a paralysis coming over me. I became very angry. I wanted to curse them. But it was impossible to resist this paralysis and that made me even madder! I was determined that, even if they had technology that could overcome all of my efforts of resistance, that at least I would give them a piece of my mind! I was going to have my say!

With enormous concentration, I was able to utter a strangled sound. It was not the defiant curse I was working on in my head, but anything was progress against the "frozen" sensation of my entire body. And, it had a startling effect! As soon as I uttered this incomprehensible, cave person type sound, they dropped me like a hot potato and began sort of flitting and chattering like a nest of birds with a cat climbing the tree. They huddled together and sort of melted into a "shimmery" curtain thing alongside my bed. It was much like the mirage effect one sees on the road ahead when driving on a hot day.

I don't honestly know if there is much of a connection here, or even if its worth considering. Thought it may be worth mentioning none the less.

shijing said:
I noticed that there were some similarities with the Eiriu-Eolas technique in Laura's video -- similar ratio of inhale to exhale and so forth [..]

Yes, I remember this 2/3 ratio from some breathing book from years back, as well as the diaphragmal breathing etc - those things have been around. I forgot that I have practiced it before, but the body remembered and it came easy.

Laura's program is unique in the way that it selects what's meaningful from all the different recommendations, puts everything together, ties it to the physiology of vagal stimulation in such an educated way, and also in its the track record and promise of things happening that are beyond physiological well-being.

I had just started practicing, but wanted to mention that right away, by directing my attention to inhalation and exhalation, I noticed a severe constriction on my right side under the ribs. For a few months now, I have had some discomfort in my gallbladder area which I am prone to, and I couldn't believe how much I was "guarding" that area, afraid to move\release the muscles. But, releasing the muscles and purposely breathing deeply ended up helping; a gallbladder flush helped even more, another one, I think, will do the trick.

Lorraine said:
I have also decided, for me, that lying down is much easier to get into a relaxed state.

That has been my experience too. When i was studying and practicing yoga many years ago, i found i was better able to breath fully while lying down, instead of in a sitting position. An injury to my right sternocleidomastoid tendon at the time of my birth just makes it very difficult for my neck muscles to relax. Especially in trying to sit straight up. Well, difficult, not impossible. Massage helps a lot. :wizard:

My yoga teachers then explained that there were breathing exercises that must be done in sitting position, but i haven't found the sitting position that truly allows all my upper-body muscles to relax. So I wonder if it's ok for this breathing excersise to be done while lying down.

Thanks for sharing information and investing time.

Since a couple of weeks, I attempt some practices like this. But it is more common and not special.

I hope, I will learn from your work something more. :P

I think that lying down is fine. I've always meditated while lying down with excellent results.

How many times per day us this Breathe system ??

morning and evening ? + Pray ? before or after ? ??

at this moment I have us it 1 time today :) 5 rep.

How many reps I should do ? 10-15 ? .
When you take air With Nose and Out with Mount ? ??

When I'm using this breathe system "I thing about nothing " that is good ??

Hi Lucas

Laura says in the introduction that is should be done in reps of 12.

From the count mp3
Laura said:
Breathe in---2---3---4---5---6---Hold!---2---3---Out---2---3---4---5---6---7---8---9---Hold!---2---3
In---2---3---4---5---6---Hold!---2---3---Out---2---3---4---5---6---7---8---9---Hold!---2---3
In---2---3---4---5---6---Hold!---2---3---Out---2---3---4---5---6---7---8---9---Hold!---2---3

She also says to practice it as often as you can.

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12837.msg92594#msg92594
Laura said:
That's the basic breathing technique and you need to be practising this as often as you can. Now whenever you feel stressed sitting at your desk, riding in your car, if you feel particularly tired and you noticed yourself yawning or taking deep sighing breaths because you feel like you are not getting enough oxygen, you can immediately employ this breathing technique and begin to stimulate your vagus nerve which then puts you into that state of alert restfulness. Alert and aware but at the same time relaxed and restful. Remember that when you are doing this, you are supposed to be breathing with your diaphragm. So you've got two exercises that you can practise immediately. You can practise breathing with the diaphragm. Remember, lie on your back with the book on your belly with your knees up and learn to push that book up three or four inches just by the act of breathing and then practice pipe breathing. Pipe breathing stimulates your vagus nerve and this is extremely important and you can even get the pipe breathing to the point where you make almost no sound at all while you are doing it so that you can even do it even at your desk at work. If your boss comes in and puts a deadline on you, you have to work late or he tells you that your pay is going to be cut 20%, or your vacation has been cancelled, you can immediately begin this pipe breathing exercise and reduce your stress.

If you do this pipe breathing exercise, do it in groups of twelve. Do it twelve times and then just go back to normal breathing and you can do this several times throughout the day. This is going to help you to get to the point where you can control your stress any time you want to or need to.

As to what you are thinking.....I just focus on the breathing, so I also 'think of nothing'....I think this is a good thing. Thinking of something would probably distract from the breathing. osit

Lucas said:
When I'm using this breathe system "I thing about nothing " that is good ??

Redfox said:
I just focus on the breathing, so I also 'think of nothing'....I think this is a good thing. Thinking of something would probably distract from the breathing. osit

Yeah same here. I tried doing the Prayer of the Soul along with the breathing, but what usually happens is I lose rhythm somewhere, whether it be in the diaphragmatic breathe or the timing of the counts. I usually just focus on counting unless I'm at home then I use Laura's Audio count.

Although I would think at same later time when there is better acclimation to the breathing technique, the 'Prayer of the Soul' can be added in.

Lucas said:
When you take air With Nose and Out with Mount ? ??

Yup, and say 'Haaaa' when breathing out

Perhaps I'm not getting the pipe breathing aspect of it down properly. When I make the 'Haaa' noise it seems to me like it prevents me from keeping the pharyngeal passage constricted. The only constriction i've been able to achieve that produces a similar sound to the audio file is holding my throat as if I were about to make a "k" sound. If I then make the 'haa' noise it opens up this constriction immediately. Is this the wrong area to be constricting?

Back
Top Bottom