What are you listening to?

MusicMan said:
BHelmet said:
Art said:
I would like to elaborate a comment on this one some day. I have been bewitched by this song since long time ago, and I have come-up with some rather unsettling theories about it.

Blinded by the Light
Manfred Mann's Earth Band

- words and music by Bruce Springsteen

So what are you waiting for? Let's hear your 'take'! You have my curiosity now!

And hey - you don't need to post an mp3 of this - I think it is engraved everyone's brain who was born in the 20th century who is still alive.

And I agree - there is a LOT that is unsettling about this...'thing'.
And a lot unsettling about the fact that it STILL gets airplay.

BHelmet, I just wanted to add that there is nothing about Bruce Springsteen that would make me want to listen to his music. Maybe it's because I wasn't born in the USA. Personally I have nothing against him, and I wouldn't discourage anyone else from being a fan of his.
I come from a bygone era, (I can remember Gene Autry!) and some of the modern music just turns me cold.
Some of it hurts my ears, and some of it I can't understand the lyrics. Must be old age..
Perhaps it's odd that I called myself MusicMan, but I played hot gospel in church for twenty years, so it comes from that.

!!

I am not a big fan of BS either and, to be honest, I did not realize he wrote this song until it was posted. I understand the USA thing if you were not born here, although, to be fair, I think he was writing Born in the USA somewhat ironically about poor dumb suckers giving life and limb in Viet Nam for basically nothing more than a patriotic sales job. It was not intended as a pro-USA anthem although it sort of turned out into that kind of soundbite.

As for the singing cowboy - hey I remember too - He owned the old LA Angels baseball club for a while.

Now - back to this bizarre song. I know a LOT of people who found this song to be utterly annoying. So why did it get SO much airplay and rank as the number one song? Why do some songs that just seem to make NO sense get crammed down our throats? I have always wondered about this. So, I was surprised to see someone had thought very deeply about it and I am very curious what they have to say.

sarahelizabeth said:
As per BHelmet's request, here is one I'd love to have some discussion around:

Collapse The Light Into Earth by Porcupine Tree

https://youtu.be/m8CLpbN_DwM

Lyrics:

I won't shiver in the cold
I won't let the shadows take their toll
I won't cover my head in the dark
And I won't forget you when we part

Collapse the Light Into Earth

I won't heal given time
I won't try to change your mind
I won't feel better in the cold light of day
But I wouldn't stop you if you wanted to stay

Collapse the Light Into Earth

This song gives me motivation on the days that seem to be the biggest struggle, which is interesting. The lyrics are somewhat motivational in the first verse, in the second verse they get a little depressing, somehow it's comforting to me. I guess it's got to do with the music building as the song goes on, all I can think is "yeah, I got this!". Thoughts?

Well, OK, I guess I just better put my money where my mouth is and respond!
Interesting song. the first thing I do is try to get where the singer/writer is 'coming from'. What are they trying to say?
Is the artist aware of what they are trying to say? Are they being guided by some unknown muse?

The hook: Collapse the Light Into Earth
Now this sounds like a beckoning call of the lords of entropy to me from a strictly literal interpretation.
...but it is pronounced Co Lapse. Interesting. Could it reference our own collective light soul collapsing into 3D earthbound existence?

1st verse:

The first 3 lines sounds like positive resistance to negativity.

And I won't forget you when we part.

...a Psychological hook any way you look at it - leave it at that. Perhaps the song is about a relationship? That is the obvious way to look at it.

2nd verse:
I won't heal given time (not all that optimistic - the damage is permanent)
I won't try to change your mind (acceptance)
I won't feel better in the cold light of day (a commitment to pain? a subliminal statement that objective knowledge won't heal the wounds?)
(this last line - is it a kind of an invitation...to remain in relationship, even if it is dysfunctional or painful?)

On a subliminal level, could it be the Lizzies making a coy, touching Stockholm Syndrome offer for us to stick around?
Yeah - a stretch, I admit.

and then Collapse the Light Into Earth again repeated
and repeated with 9 yards of emotional hooks - the violins, cellos and uplifting, optimistic chords.
The siren song. Press all the aural buttons at once. I guess the easy way to look at it is the old classic: - guy loses love; guy tries to deal with it.

Hey, I don't know. Just some thoughts to kick around as per your asking. I do see the major difference between the 2 verses you noted.

Thanks for sharing.

BHelmet said:
Well, OK, I guess I just better put my money where my mouth is and respond!
Interesting song. the first thing I do is try to get where the singer/writer is 'coming from'. What are they trying to say?
Is the artist aware of what they are trying to say? Are they being guided by some unknown muse?

The hook: Collapse the Light Into Earth
Now this sounds like a beckoning call of the lords of entropy to me from a strictly literal interpretation.
...but it is pronounced Co Lapse. Interesting. Could it reference our own collective light soul collapsing into 3D earthbound existence?

1st verse:

The first 3 lines sounds like positive resistance to negativity.

And I won't forget you when we part.

...a Psychological hook any way you look at it - leave it at that. Perhaps the song is about a relationship? That is the obvious way to look at it.

2nd verse:
I won't heal given time (not all that optimistic - the damage is permanent)
I won't try to change your mind (acceptance)
I won't feel better in the cold light of day (a commitment to pain? a subliminal statement that objective knowledge won't heal the wounds?)
(this last line - is it a kind of an invitation...to remain in relationship, even if it is dysfunctional or painful?)

On a subliminal level, could it be the Lizzies making a coy, touching Stockholm Syndrome offer for us to stick around?
Yeah - a stretch, I admit.

and then Collapse the Light Into Earth again repeated
and repeated with 9 yards of emotional hooks - the violins, cellos and uplifting, optimistic chords.
The siren song. Press all the aural buttons at once. I guess the easy way to look at it is the old classic: - guy loses love; guy tries to deal with it.

Hey, I don't know. Just some thoughts to kick around as per your asking. I do see the major difference between the 2 verses you noted.

Thanks for sharing.

Lots of very interesting and possible interpretations! I wonder if it's pure laziness or lack of imagination that limits me from thinking this deeply about songs and lyrics day to day.

What gets me most about this song is the 3 distinctly different aspects. Verse 1 is motivating and uplifting while verse 2 is the total opposite, then you have that hook - "Collapse The Light Into Earth", what does this have to do with the rest of the song at all?

If we're thinking that the song is about a relationship (thinking literally), it could be that it's suggesting that we need to surrender the fear and pain, go back to a place of light and be at one with nature. Although I doubt this is the intended meaning, but it has been my interpretation for quite some time.

"Collapse The Light Into Earth" - this line is really getting me thinking.

Dictionary.com defines collapse:
1. To fall or cave in; crumble suddenly
2. To be made so that sections or parts can be folded up, as for convenient storage:
3. To break down; come to nothing; fail:
4. To fall unconscious or as if unconscious or physically depleted, as from a stroke, heart attack, disease, or exhaustion.

Any of these definitions seem like they would be used in negative context. I'm feeling like I've been misinterpreting this song all this time. Really, when I look further into the meaning of the individual words, it seems like I've interpreted it on a very superficial level.

Miss.K said:
Intense concentrated beauty from my all time favorite classical superhero Chopin. I like this recording/pianist, both the way he plays, but also that you can hear him breath (it's alive)

https://youtu.be/V60USaluxGA

I agree! Paulini is one of my favorites, too!

Another one is Glenn Gould, famous for his Goldberg Variationen but I got to know him via this Beethoven Sonatas - and he also is singing along with the music which gives you a more intense Feeling for the whole Music!

https://youtu.be/TFlZsliOF18

sarahelizabeth said:
What gets me most about this song is the 3 distinctly different aspects. Verse 1 is motivating and uplifting while verse 2 is the total opposite, then you have that hook - "Collapse The Light Into Earth", what does this have to do with the rest of the song at all?
It could refer to the whole spirit collapsing into earth deal: The fall of humanity. Like our spirits are divine LIGHT and EARTH represents the flesh; feet-on-the-ground reality. ("For dust thou art" kinda deal.) So, we have these idealized spirits that make mistakes on the earthly plane. In C's terms: You play in the dirt, you are going to get dirty.

But then there is the Co-Lapse pronunciation - like both the lover and beloved in the song have made mistakes in the relationship and hurt each other. Maybe they both had affairs; were untrue in some way? Maybe they just allowed themselves to drift apart; mutually ran from love.

sarahelizabeth said:
If we're thinking that the song is about a relationship (thinking literally), it could be that it's suggesting that we need to surrender the fear and pain, go back to a place of light and be at one with nature. Although I doubt this is the intended meaning, but it has been my interpretation for quite some time...... I'm feeling like I've been misinterpreting this song all this time. Really, when I look further into the meaning of the individual words, it seems like I've interpreted it on a very superficial level.

I always find it interesting, if uncomfortable at times, to see my own chosen interpretation that suits my needs and level of understanding of myself and the world at a given stage of development versus actually coming to terms with what is really being said. Sometimes my level of awareness is just not equal to the task or to the level of the performer. Sometimes it is staring me right in the face and I just don't see it. Or, am not ready to see it. Or, I kind of know it but don't want to face it. It is often all about those buffers that keep us from being too shocked all at once so we can still function on our way. Have to gradually strip them away. Perhaps that is a luxury of intentionally working on prying our eyes open. The light does not pour in and cause too much blinding pain all at once as it reveals certain harsh realities. Like taking a small sip of whiskey or cheap tequila as opposed to a big gulp that makes you cough explosively and burns out your guts. Sigh...

Two living legends from Africa, representing the male & female vocal tradition, in the beautiful acoustic music style from Mali.

The Best Of Habib Koité & Oumou Sangare (Mali)
_ttps://youtu.be/GKBMTM86Yn0?list=FL4cYONJs4dXCbbLrH4iNCbw

BHelmet said:
It could refer to the whole spirit collapsing into earth deal: The fall of humanity. Like our spirits are divine LIGHT and EARTH represents the flesh; feet-on-the-ground reality. ("For dust thou art" kinda deal.) So, we have these idealized spirits that make mistakes on the earthly plane. In C's terms: You play in the dirt, you are going to get dirty.

That's certainly possible, I would imagine when this happens it will be a like roller-coaster of emotion and thoughts. So that makes sense in regards to the mixed signals being given in this song.

BHelmet said:
I always find it interesting, if uncomfortable at times, to see my own chosen interpretation that suits my needs and level of understanding of myself and the world at a given stage of development versus actually coming to terms with what is really being said. Sometimes my level of awareness is just not equal to the task or to the level of the performer. Sometimes it is staring me right in the face and I just don't see it. Or, am not ready to see it. Or, I kind of know it but don't want to face it. It is often all about those buffers that keep us from being too shocked all at once so we can still function on our way. Have to gradually strip them away. Perhaps that is a luxury of intentionally working on prying our eyes open. The light does not pour in and cause too much blinding pain all at once as it reveals certain harsh realities. Like taking a small sip of whiskey or cheap tequila as opposed to a big gulp that makes you cough explosively and burns out your guts. Sigh...

I'm seeing this occurring in my life more and more. It's interesting because where I am up to in the transcripts they've just touched on this.

(F) This will come to us step-bystep.
(J) It doesn't really matter. (L) It does matter because they say
that knowledge protects. This is knowledge. (F) I know, but you can't
get it all at once.
Look how much you have acquired in the last three
years, the last eight months. You are so impatient. You expect to
have your mind totally input with all of this and then to go back and
have fun with your children, eating popcorn and watching movies. It
wouldn't work that way. This is what you would be like if you had all
this knowledge at once. [Demonstrates extreme spasticity.
Laughter.] Is that what you want? (T) Yeah, the kids would get their
popcorn and sit around and watch mom! Better than a movie. (F)
The rest of your existence in 3rd density would consist of eh-eh-eheh-
eh-eh!!! [Laughter]

I often get frustrated with myself for not being able to see what is right in front of me. It will all come when it is meant to, this I'm sure of, though I still get frustrated haha.

Darek said:
Two living legends from Africa, representing the male & female vocal tradition, in the beautiful acoustic music style from Mali.

The Best Of Habib Koité & Oumou Sangare (Mali)
_ttps://youtu.be/GKBMTM86Yn0?list=FL4cYONJs4dXCbbLrH4iNCbw

Thanks, Darek for a new flavor of music. I play mostly on a classical style guitar and the one pictured in the video is a modern version that uses nylon strings but has a distinctive sound. The voices, rhythms seem so balanced and calm but stay interesting with improvisation of the instruments.

This song always make me smile (in this performance):

WILLIE JONES - I'm your man

https://youtu.be/F3w1tsloLNk

I have mixed feelings about this thread, frankly. The subject IS "What are you listening to" and is basically an invitation for everyone to share a slice of their immediate life, i.e., what are you doing at the moment? It also gives me a little insight into any given individual that I can compare to the several remarks the Cs have made about music/sound. For example, if a person writes that they are having certain issues in their lives, I may quickly check over their posting history and find an entry here that adds perspective so that I can better help them.

In general, I like classical art, flowing lines, flowing sounds, melodic progressions in music, etc. Maybe this says something about me and my connection to the Cs? Maybe other peoples' liking for "Metal" music and other sound types/progressions says something about their issues too? So, trying to do more than just share on this thread might create false impressions?

Having said that, perhaps a different thread could be opened to analyze music and talk about "objective music" and such and just leave this one alone for simple sharing.

Laura said:
Having said that, perhaps a different thread could be opened to analyze music and talk about "objective music" and such and just leave this one alone for simple sharing.
I agree completely, music analysis - analysis of personality perhaps?
Music and personality I think are closely related

Laura said:
In general, I like classical art, flowing lines, flowing sounds, melodic progressions in music, etc. Maybe this says something about me and my connection to the Cs? Maybe other peoples' liking for "Metal" music and other sound types/progressions says something about their issues too? So, trying to do more than just share on this thread might create false impressions?

I like a lot of different styles of music, from noisy primitive rock, to cheesy pop, to intelligent beautiful classical music etc. etc. (almost all genres of music has at least one song I like) though I'm at the same time very particular about what I like and don't like, so it's not at all the same as liking all music.

I don't know if it says I'm flexible, or that I maybe have split personality(s)...

I agree that a lot can be said about a person due to what they like, (to like something I guess is to recognize some of it inside one self)
Though I think sometimes music can be like a theater play, or a circus performance, talking about something that is a parody of something that one has observed (inside or outside one self), and so one think it is funny.....If I for example listen to heavy metal, it makes me giggle the same way as this excellent scene from Lilo and Stitch, so my mood will be more as the laughing audience than the "aaaggggghhhh, haaaaate, destroyyyyyy" that the music "says":

https://youtu.be/yP19-ZoEhe4

(just my 2 cents)

Back
Top Bottom