Shoulder pain

I need some advice.

So last night was not one of my better nights. It all started with my right shoulder hurting pretty bad. To begin with I have a pretty high pain tolerance but last night almost had me in tears and seriously contemplating going to see a doctor and getting pain medication. I hate pain medication and I hate taking them but last night I was ready for them. I know my shoulder has been messed up for a couple of years now notably from the war on. My right shoulder has a bunch of torn cartilage in it from various accidents. Every time I raise it or move my right arm in circles I can hear it do the "snap, crackle and pop routine." Last night it hurt just being attached, to the point I couldn't sleep at all. From the bit of reading I have done on shoulder pain on the forum one of the things I noticed was it could be connected to "carrying the unneeded weight of other people's problems on ones shoulders. This does relate in my life with all the family issue's I have. I am at a loss as to how to deal with it short of going to a doctor, but all that will do is mask the problem. The problem is I don't know what the problem is. Any thoughts or idea's? Regardless I need to see a doctor anyways so I will ask about my shoulder but I would like some advice from the forum.

Have you tried DMSO? Here is a pretty good thread:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=17014.0

The shoulder area would probably have a really unpleasant reaction with pure DMSO. I think a 50% solution might be a good start. I keep and use a mixture of 50% DMSO and 50% aloe vera, and it seems to be very helpful for all kinds of small injuries. I buy the aloe vera with 3% lidocaine, which is sold as sunburn medication. I think the lidocaine helps reduce the pain while the aloe and DMSO do their work.

No I haven't tried DMSO but I have read the thread. I haven't tried it yet due to the fact I think I need to detox first. I do have a gallon of 99% pure and a roll on applicator of 70% DMSO/30% aloe vera. When I feel I'm ready I also want to try it to see if it will have any effect on my scars, as Laura suggested in one of my older posts.

Maybe it is nerve pain ? I am having the same issue at the very moment and it seriously hurts (shoulder , back and chest ) but in my case I know what it is . It is a slightly rotated spinal cord disc which puts pressure on one of nerves.
I will be meeting a chiropractor (i believe this is a proper term) who will sort me out. Oh and by the way , there is no painkiller that could help , at least in my case.

I'm currently experiencing shoulder pain too, on my left side thou. I'm highly recommending DMSO aswell. It does really great work, at least for me.
And yes I'm also experiencing some family issues in which case I'm relying on EE.
Hope you'll be better soon.

Hi Shadowsaround,

A while back I was experiencing some pretty painful left shoulder pain. Like you, I dreaded the thought of going to the doctor and kept putting that idea off until I couldn't even sleep well at night. But, I know a wonderful acupuncturist and, after two appointments, my shoulder pain is 98 percent gone. Mobility is almost back to normal. Don't know if this would be an option for you, but it did work for me (thankfully!).

I think the suggestions given on the use of DMSO is a good start. But, if the pain is that serious, I'd at least see a doctor and listen to his recommendations.

Hi shadowsaround,

I just want to echo the DMSO idea. I've used it before for minor aches and it works. I don't think you have to worry about topical application having not detoxed. I think if you drank a teaspoon of it in water, that would be when you'd start to have the bad detox reactions. I've felt a little bit "dizzy" after drinking it once, and I was already a little bit into the detox. But I think that topical application is a lot less of a dosage, and it is more diluted. Hope you feel better soon. :flowers:

I really don't know what to think about my shoulder as it is off and on as far as pain goes. I will try the DMSO topically to see if that helps.

Echo Blue - I am very wary of trying acupuncture as the last time I did it the lady bent 13 of the needles trying to screw them in and she managed to lock my back up for 3 days, talk about pain. I did do some research on her background and she had a masters in eastern therapy and spent something like 10 years overseas training before coming back stateside. So I will think on this and see if it could be a way to go as I have heard many people do benefit from it. Thanks for bringing this up.

Hi shadowsaround
The following post from another thread may well be of help (I've heard it works miracles).

Psyche said:
Hi Guardian,

You'll find a useful link in the following post:

Laura said:
There IS a very significant method for helping with this sort of thing that has done miracles for me and it's called "Medical Taping". This has been discussed in QFS, for sure, don't remember if it has been discussed on the forum, and a pdf copy of the manual that shows how it is done was made available. I'll have to see if I can find the reference and the link.

ADDED: I found the link http://laura-knight-jadczyk.com/Taping.djvu

This method is literally miraculous for many things. I suffered from "frozen shoulder syndrome" at several points after my surgery and even heavy duty pain killers didn't help, but after taping, the pain reduce about 25% within half an hour, and 50% within a few hours, and 75% in one day, and was gone completely in three days. I retaped a couple times just to make sure, and now haven't had a minute's trouble for well over six months.

In a pinch, you can use stretchy bandaging tape but it is a good idea to try to get some of the tape that is designed for this. Just search on the net for "medical taping" and see if you can find a more or less local source for it.

See pages 8 and 9. Some kinesiology tape will do, but if you can't find any, a normal medical tape from the pharmacy might do. It is really miraculous, I have even used it for menstrual cramps.

Another thing to consider (as its your right shoulder) is liver related issues, as these can manifest as a painful right shoulder (gall stones, block/constricted bile duct, liver not use to processing lots of fat etc).

Taping. Somebody find the taping manual link and info. Along with DMSO (and you don't have to be detoxed to use it), it is the single most effective thing you can do for shoulder pain. Get the tape (if you need it fast, use just ordinary, wide medical adhesive tape until you can get some kinesio tape) and do the frozen shoulder pattern. Keep it on for a week. You'll have relief within minutes, and serious relief within hours.

ADDED: Somebody (Redfox) was reading my mind!

Another thing to consider (as its your right shoulder) is liver related issues, as these can manifest as a painful right shoulder (gall stones, block/constricted bile duct, liver not use to processing lots of fat etc).

You read my mind as well Redfox! I was going to add that my gall bladder issues manifested as pain in my shoulder (and between my shoulder blades as I also had gall stones stuck in the common bile duct). The pain came and went and became much worse late at night and eased up in the day. If you try some of the suggestions above for DMSO and/or taping and the pain doesn't subside, I would suggest you get checked for liver/gall bladder issues.

Hi shadowsaround,

How are you coming along with the diet? Gluten and dairy are very inflammatory to the body. While making the changes may not give you the immediate relief you need (taping and DMSO should help with that), removing these irritants from your body, will settle down your immune system and let it get to healing the real problem. There's plenty of info in the Diet and Health board to get you started. If you are up to it, you can do the detox regime here. EE can help tremendously with pain relief too.

Hang in there! :flowers:

herondancer said:
Hi shadowsaround,

How are you coming along with the diet? Gluten and dairy are very inflammatory to the body. While making the changes may not give you the immediate relief you need (taping and DMSO should help with that), removing these irritants from your body, will settle down your immune system and let it get to healing the real problem. There's plenty of info in the Diet and Health board to get you started. If you are up to it, you can do the detox regime here. EE can help tremendously with pain relief too.

Hang in there! :flowers:

I'm having a tough time with the diet. I did buy some more supplements along with enzymes and milk thistle to help with my sluggish liver. The past 4 days has been tough for me. Too many things coming at me all at once and it has been stressful. Mainly because I blocked all the light coming into my bedroom while I sleep at night and I have been fighting my programs on that issue greatly. At this point I think I need to take a few days to get my head on straight and put most of my energy into healing my body. I have a Doctor's appointment on Monday so hopefully I can find out some answer's for my shoulder and the spitting blood as it occurred again though in a different way. The good news is my last day for working at the bar was last night and I feel as if some weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I will be starting the detox regime in a couple of days. I hope once I "reset" my body with good sleep patterns and supplements I can begin to think more clearly. As for EE I did do a session on Monday and I'm going to do it again today as I didn't yesterday. I'm trying to hang in there but man its tough currently.

shadowsaround said:
I'm having a tough time with the diet. I did buy some more supplements along with enzymes and milk thistle to help with my sluggish liver. The past 4 days has been tough for me. Too many things coming at me all at once and it has been stressful. Mainly because I blocked all the light coming into my bedroom while I sleep at night and I have been fighting my programs on that issue greatly. At this point I think I need to take a few days to get my head on straight and put most of my energy into healing my body. I have a Doctor's appointment on Monday so hopefully I can find out some answer's for my shoulder and the spitting blood as it occurred again though in a different way. The good news is my last day for working at the bar was last night and I feel as if some weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I will be starting the detox regime in a couple of days. I hope once I "reset" my body with good sleep patterns and supplements I can begin to think more clearly. As for EE I did do a session on Monday and I'm going to do it again today as I didn't yesterday. I'm trying to hang in there but man its tough currently.

Spitting blood??? Definitely time to see a doc. I hope you get some answers. Congrats on leaving the bar. That's a real soul-killer of an environment.

It might be good to ease into the detox if you are dealing with a sluggish liver. It won't help for you to feel worse because of detox symptoms on top of everything else you've got going on right now. In case you haven't seen it, there's an entire thread on the subject. You can support your liver and your other detox pathways, and slowly cut back on the bad stuff. Dairy seems to be the easiest to start with, then gluten, then sugar. If you can get hold of a FIR sauna, they are wonderfully soothing even at low temps, and will help with pain, whatever the source. As far as sleeping in complete dark goes, yeah, you probably have more than a few issues about that. Try to do the pipe breathing and meditation every night before you go to sleep. It will go a long way to settling down any panicky feelings about not being able to immediately perceive your surroundings.

Step by step. Let your body set the pace, and be kind to yourself. There's no prize out there for "fastest detox". Your dealing with long-standing issues on every level which will take time to unwind. The great thing is that an improvement on one level will help all the others. It's even kind of fun in a way to watch the changes ripple through your being.

We're pulling for you.

Back
Top Bottom