Smoking is... good?

Hi folks,

Yesterday I decided to give a try to pipe smoking :cool2:, and I'm pretty happy with the outcome, combination of organic tobacco and nice nut wood pipe is simply the best I ever tried. I'm happy to finally get rid of the wrapping paper for the cigarettes. I'm looking kind a silly with the pipe, but at least no more leftovers of chemically treated cellulose in my lungs. What do you think of pipe smoking?? :halo:

Thumbs up, of course, by a biased pipe smoker! :P

The downside of course, is cleaning your pipe, of tar sludge,
spittle, charcoal, and whatever else. Cigs require no cleaning
though... I guess it is a trade off.

Smoking takes some effort, but more importantly, listening to
your body for approval, as it is not for everyone...

I was looking for a French translation to 'Happy/Good Smoking!'
to sign off, similar to bon appétit, but I surprisingly I stumbled
on this blog below:

_http://lindoug.com/blog/?p=9 said:
children’s songs - an exposé

J’ai du bon tabac dans ma tabatière
J’ai du bon tabac, tu n’en n’auras pas.
J’en ai du fin et du bien râpé
Mais ce n’est pas pour ton vilain nez.
J’ai du bon tabac, tu n’en auras pas.

Don’t speak french? Read on.

Here’s my (addmitedly rough) translation :

I’ve got some good tobacco in my tobacco pouch
I’ve got some good tobacco, but you’re not getting any.
I’ve got some fine and some well ground stuff
But it is not for your nasty little nose.

Well, that sounds rather selfish! :P

Cheers!
Dan

Psalehesost said:
If it happens again once I smoke, then I guess it's a toxic reaction.

Hi Psalehesost

Have you considered that it may be a candida die off reaction? I seem to remember that smoking can kill candida....so it may be possible that the 'toxic' feeling your getting is the candida dying off.
Something to consider perhaps?

RedFox said:
Psalehesost said:

Hi Psalehesost

Have you considered that it may be a candida die off reaction? I seem to remember that smoking can kill candida....so it may be possible that the 'toxic' feeling your getting is the candida dying off.

I recalled that idea and thought of it some time after posting, and looked it up (it's earlier in this thread - searching "candida" in it will find it), and it might well be possible. In any case, I'm now feeling well, and smoking on... If it is candida die off, then I guess similar reactions could well occur again, but they would be milder until no more would occur.

If it is detoxing me, might also explain why part of me sometimes wants to smoke not just to the point of stimulating my brain, but to the point just before nausea - as much as my body can take.

Nathan said:
Has anyone found pure tobacco is to be addictive?

I can go weeks without it, personally. I'm wondering if the addiction is predominantly the chemicals added to commercial cigarettes.

I have often wondered the same thing. I enjoy smoking my pipe tobacco when I get the chance but if I can't, it doesn't seem to bother me much at all. I was thinking like you that maybe it was the chemicals that were actually keeping me addicted to cigarettes. But to answer your question, no. I have found no addiction to additive free tobacco at all and very happy about it. I buy American Spirits by the can and just pack my pipe. (no fsc on the bar code)

Nathan said:
Has anyone found pure tobacco is to be addictive?

I can go weeks without it, personally. I'm wondering if the addiction is predominantly the chemicals added to commercial cigarettes.

laura's interesting take on addition/smoking in general in this thread (page 45):
Laura said:
Try quitting. If you can quit fairly easily, smoking is not for you!

dant said:
Thumbs up, of course, by a biased pipe smoker! :P

The downside of course, is cleaning your pipe, of tar sludge,
spittle, charcoal, and whatever else. Cigs require no cleaning
though... I guess it is a trade off.

Smoking takes some effort, but more importantly, listening to
your body for approval, as it is not for everyone...

I was looking for a French translation to 'Happy/Good Smoking!'
to sign off, similar to bon appétit, but I surprisingly I stumbled
on this blog below:

_http://lindoug.com/blog/?p=9 said:
children’s songs - an exposé

J’ai du bon tabac, tu n’en n’auras pas.
J’en ai du fin et du bien râpé
Mais ce n’est pas pour ton vilain nez.
J’ai du bon tabac, tu n’en auras pas.

Don’t speak french? Read on.

Here’s my (addmitedly rough) translation :

I’ve got some fine and some well ground stuff
But it is not for your nasty little nose.

Well, that sounds rather selfish! :P

Cheers!
Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the poem ;D,

and, of course, got whole cleaning set with the pipe, it's pretty easy to clean it, thanks for the info, although it's unbelievable how much of dirt get stuck in side of the pipe after only one session of smoking (30-40) minutes??

Yes, and that leads to your choice of pipe(s).

1) Durability

Make darn sure that the pipe is very well built, made of durable
material, has uniform thickness all around. Some pipes have weaknesses
that is, certain points of failure where a burn-through can occur rendering
the pipe useless after a few months of use. Cost makes no difference, or so
it seems, as to its quality. I have had expensive pipes burn out quickly after
several months of use. It pays to examine what you buy and is not easy to
know you have bought a lemon.

Make sure that the connection between the stem and bowl will always
be very tight, the stem over time tends to loosen it's grip and one may
be forced to use paper wedges to keep the bowl from falling off and breaking.

Be very careful about cleaning the bowl of the pipe, It is easy to cut too
much material away and/or hit a weak spot creating a burn-through hole
in the pipe rendering your pipe useless and into the trash can. I found
consistently, weak spots near or at the bottom, closer to where the stem
meets the bowl.

2) The pipe

I have more than one pipe. I rotate the pipes to keep them from
getting too hot and to given them a chance to breath. I have both
large and small bowled pipes. The larger bowl if I plan longer session
smoking and the smaller, shorter session smoking.

3) The pipe stem.

Narrow channel pipe stems means restricted intake,
faster tar/gunk build up and clogging. Higher cleaning
cycles, and it is hard to clean a narrow channel pipe.
Curved and narrow channel stems are difficult to clean
in the bends. So I prefer wide-channel stems.

But I prefer curved stems because I want to see what
is in front of me besides the pipe bowl.

bon Tabac!
Dan

I decided to give smoking another try today. I smoked "big brand" commercial cigarettes for years, and quit (with great difficulty) a few years ago. I quit for the simple reason that I grew to hate their taste and smell. I simply threw them away and endured the withdrawals of denying myself the myriad of additives and chemicals they add both to the tobacco, and to the paper they come packed in. I held on to a little rationality in that I refused to spend money on "quitting." That's an industry in itself, and it's as pathological as anything else in this society.

I made the error of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Looking back on the past two years is interesting. Would you believe that during this time, I began to suffer from higher blood pressure, and lacked the mental clarity I always took for granted? In a very real way, I seemed to have lost my vision, and I have spent the intervening years seeking ways to recapture it in vain.

Like many, I bought the line fed to me regarding the dangers of smoking and tobacco. My distaste of mass-produced tobacco was understandable (compared to additive free tobacco, it is indeed vile); however, my desire to seek alternatives was suppressed by the pathological programming that infuses the environment around me. My lack of research helped to keep me in the dark. That is, of course, where they want us all to be. They have the answers, of course...right?

No, they don't.

I was amazed at the experience of smoking 100% additive free tobacco. Not only did it taste and smell great, but the experience was completely different from what I remember smoking was before. My lungs felt differently. I felt differently, except in one regard...the clarity, and the reduction of mental noise was just like it was in the past. Fantastic!

dant said:
Yes, and that leads to your choice of pipe(s).

1) Durability

Make darn sure that the pipe is very well built, made of durable
material, has uniform thickness all around. Some pipes have weaknesses
that is, certain points of failure where a burn-through can occur rendering
the pipe useless after a few months of use. Cost makes no difference, or so
it seems, as to its quality. I have had expensive pipes burn out quickly after
several months of use. It pays to examine what you buy and is not easy to
know you have bought a lemon.

Make sure that the connection between the stem and bowl will always
be very tight, the stem over time tends to loosen it's grip and one may
be forced to use paper wedges to keep the bowl from falling off and breaking.

Be very careful about cleaning the bowl of the pipe, It is easy to cut too
much material away and/or hit a weak spot creating a burn-through hole
in the pipe rendering your pipe useless and into the trash can. I found
consistently, weak spots near or at the bottom, closer to where the stem
meets the bowl.

2) The pipe

I have more than one pipe. I rotate the pipes to keep them from
getting too hot and to given them a chance to breath. I have both
large and small bowled pipes. The larger bowl if I plan longer session
smoking and the smaller, shorter session smoking.

3) The pipe stem.

Narrow channel pipe stems means restricted intake,
faster tar/gunk build up and clogging. Higher cleaning
cycles, and it is hard to clean a narrow channel pipe.
Curved and narrow channel stems are difficult to clean
in the bends. So I prefer wide-channel stems.

But I prefer curved stems because I want to see what
is in front of me besides the pipe bowl.

bon Tabac!
Dan

Thanks for the info, my husband tried to smoke pipe today as well, and seems we'll both swap from cigarettes to pipes. Right now I have only one nut wood pipe, with large bowl, but I'll definitely need to found something smaller as well, pocket version let's say:). I don't want to influence on my husband choice of the pipe (he is planning to take curved, narrow stem, nut bowl pipe, for the first one). And yes, I tried immediately in the shop to see if the stem is attached nicely not loose, after all I'll clean it at least 1 time per day so it will probably be the most weakest spot on the pipe. What kind of the pipe and material would you recommend for a small bowl and narrow stem channel kind of pipe???

Personally, I use Briar wood, however, do a little bit
of research and choose the one you like best. Try to
gain a little experience with them, and like I said,
I have several. I have had some hit and misses in
this area.

See: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_pipe_%28tobacco%29

I have tried Meerschaum but it crumbles like chalk when
wet and over time, I think. I have tried Calabash, but it did
not last long for me and it looks embarrassing if you look
like Sherlock Holmes. The white part is likely clay. I have
tried Cherrywood as a cheap pipe, and I still use it. I have
not tried some of the others.

What is interesting from the above link is to take note that
Briar wood tends to burn out just like I said... I lost two such
pipes in 1.5 years. Maybe it was poor care or bad (lemon) luck...

Bon Tapac!
Dan

dant said:
Personally, I use Briar wood, however, do a little bit
of research and choose the one you like best. Try to
gain a little experience with them, and like I said,
I have several. I have had some hit and misses in
this area.

See: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_pipe_%28tobacco%29

I have tried Meerschaum but it crumbles like chalk when
wet and over time, I think. I have tried Calabash, but it did
not last long for me and it looks embarrassing if you look
like Sherlock Holmes. The white part is likely clay. I have
tried Cherrywood as a cheap pipe, and I still use it. I have
not tried some of the others.

What is interesting from the above link is to take note that
Briar wood tends to burn out just like I said... I lost two such
pipes in 1.5 years. Maybe it was poor care or bad (lemon) luck...

Bon Tapac!
Dan

Thanks Dant, I'll buy some relatively cheap ones (hope no lemon kind) and start from there. I'll try different models and see what fits me the best :cool2:. Keep in touch.

Psalehesost said:
RedFox said:
Psalehesost said:

Hi Psalehesost

I recalled that idea and thought of it some time after posting, and looked it up (it's earlier in this thread - searching "candida" in it will find it), and it might well be possible. In any case, I'm now feeling well, and smoking on... If it is candida die off, then I guess similar reactions could well occur again, but they would be milder until no more would occur.

If it is detoxing me, might also explain why part of me sometimes wants to smoke not just to the point of stimulating my brain, but to the point just before nausea - as much as my body can take.

I'm glad you both brought this topic up again. I smoke regularly but found that when I tried to switch to organic tobacco, I didn't feel so great so I stopped. I decided to try again yesterday and within an hour or two, I started having what I can only guess are detox reactions. For the most part, it feels like a head cold - lots of drainage but there was also some stomach problems. I'm able to smoke the organic brand with more ease (although I smoke much less than with the other brand) since yesterday. I'm going to give at least a few more days and see how this plays out.

I didn't think I'd ever post on this thread, but here I am! :lol:

This may sound strange, but ca two weeks ago while doing the EE i got this very strong feeling that my body/brain would like to have some nicotine! The next day the same happened again, after the EE I suddenly felt a great need to have nicotine. So I started thinking about the possibility to try it out. :cool2:

Now, some years ago I had a period when I used snus. I remember that it gave me very good 'brain stimulation' making it easier to start, do and accomplish things. Back then, I believed that smoking real cigarettes was deadly and it destroys the lungs, so especially as a singer I didn't even consider trying those. I smoked those toxic main stream cigarettes in my youth when I was in the army, and my memory of that is that I coughed up phlegm all the time. I wish I'd known about organic tobacco back then!

So anyway, because snus was quite hard to get here in Finland I soon stopped using it, plus it made my sleep restless for some reason. And my wife didn't really appreciate me having a bulging lip all the time (I admit it looks kind of silly). The last time I used snus was little over two years ago when my wife was having birth to our son; it was a real marathon and having nicotine was a real life saver those 20+ hours!

So, I've known that nicotine is beneficial for me for some time now. It's just that out of external consideration (or maybe fear) I just can't see me taking out a pipe or a cigarette, because I know that my wife would totally hate and not understand this. Plus that now as a teacher at the university I can't risk being 'labeled' - because I know what people think about smoking these days. Ah, how nice it would be to smoke a pipe with good organic tobacco! Well, maybe that day will come, but in the mean time I'll have to think of other strategies.

So, I decided to start a little nicotine experiment just to see how it would affect me today, after detoxing, supplementing and being on the diet for almost a year now. These days you can't get snus in Finland anywhere, not even 'under the counter' because of heavy propaganda that was touted in the media last year. So that was not an option. I went to the drugstore to see what kind of nicotine products they had there. I knew that all of the nicotine gums had either aspartame, sorbitol or some other flavor enhancer so those were out too. I decided to buy a nicotine inhaler which, at least according to the package, didn't contain anything else that nicotine.

So I've tried this for little over a week now, and the benefits have been huge! I got so much more work, reading and other things done because my brain was finally working on all cylinders! After some days I however I started getting this terrible neck pain and strangely my metabolism has slowed down. Having used snus I know that this should work the other way around, nicotine should boost ones metabolism. And the neck pain is very similar to the pain I get when I 'over detox', when I detox too efficiently without getting the toxins/stool out fast enough. I googled 'nicotine inhaler' and found that 'neck pain' is listed on the side effects list. Could it be, as has been suggested in this thread, that the nicotine has destroyed e.g. candida in me 'too fast' blocking my pipelines? Or maybe this nicotine inhaler does have some secret additive that makes me sick? I don't remember having any of these symptoms while using snus or cigarettes.

Yesterday I switched to nicotine lozenges, the ones you put under your tongue. These supposedly don't contain anything else than nicotine either (there's some binding stuff that keep the tablets together). The effect of these isn't as good as with the inhaler, but there are beneficial brain activity for sure. But here too I get the same neck pain, only a little lighter. Or could this be some allergic reaction or food sensitivity?

I know it's maybe not a lasting solution to use nicotine inhalers or lozenges, but at least this experiment has shown me that there are benefits for me from using nicotine. I really don't know how to solve this dilemma. Right now using a pipe or organic tobacco just isn't possible - there would be too much turmoil at home and at work if I'd started this. Maybe I just have to do a trip to Sweden to get some snus, dunno. I appreciate any thoughts you guys have on this. :cool2:

A few things comes to my mind:

1) Smoking is the best delivery mechanism, according to the C's
(so why use lozenges (binders), fake cigs (ethylene glycol?), patches,
courtesy of Big Pharma, and so on?)
2) Do that which favours your destiny
3) Overcome your fear of perceived consequences.

May I remind you that smokers will most likely be
treated negatively by the PTB and their ilk, that is
their aim, it is expected, so do you want submit to
their will... or to yours?

Family, friends, associates, strangers bother me daily
- expect attack and modes of the same? I have forced
them to adjust, made pains to be patient and never to
get angry - it quells their chances for further attacks
in getting you to submit to their will, not yours.

If you can, find a place where you can smoke privately,
go there to your hearts content. This is another tool; if
your family want you to be home more often than out
for smoking, they may be willing to give you "allowance",
in your own designated area. Be resourceful - if need be,
build a smoking "shack" in your backyard. Use your
imagination. "When there is a will, there is a way"

I have declared a smoking room in my house - it is air filtered,
sealed, and quiet. A computer room, and music to listen to.
A smoking jacket is optional :D

FWIW,
Dan

Back
Top Bottom