sott site won't download again.

Gandalf said:
Scottie said:
That's pretty good for an all-volunteer, no corporate backing, do a lot with very little web site that gets the amount of traffic we currently get.

Honestly I would say that it is at least excellent, fantastic :perfect: :cheer:

I also think that is pretty freak'n awesome! Thanks for all y'all do.

Scottie said:
yanz said:
Thanks Scottie, its up and running now.. :thup:

BTW, I assume that currently SOTT is not deployed on a high availability architecture.

We've considered more complicated (and more expensive) setups, but I don't think it's time quite yet.

In the 13+ year history of SOTT, I estimate our uptime has been around 99.7%.

That's pretty good for an all-volunteer, no corporate backing, do a lot with very little web site that gets the amount of traffic we currently get.

Awesome stuff and big thanks for holding it all up over the years, been so much value for me!

Scottie said:
We've considered more complicated (and more expensive) setups, but I don't think it's time quite yet.

In the 13+ year history of SOTT, I estimate our uptime has been around 99.7%.

Yeah, I think that's pretty amazing too..

Well, you guys know the situation better.. when to do full upgrade or just expand a little bit here and there..

Just want to let you guys know, in case you guys need help from us, me and others will be ready to help.. :)

Site down again in the UK.

Scottie thanks to you and whoever else helps you to keep it running. It is much appreciated! :cool2:

Sott link is working again. Either it was a false red flag or very speedy techs at work. Thank you!

This morning's "downtime" was due to a backup running. The site goes offline every day at the same time for a few minutes. Sometimes, it only takes 1-2 minutes. Sometimes, it's a bit longer.

Live backups generally caused problems, so now we do it the 100% reliable way... at the expense of a few minutes of downtime each day.

There are actually many (and multiple) backups running between our various servers throughout the day. Also, the timing of all of them is geared in a such a way that we also have a daily local backup of everything downloaded onsite here during our sleepytime (for bandwidth reasons).

Unfortunately, this whole string of backups means that the timing for the SOTT backup (with downtime) occurs in the morning Europe time.

Well, you can't have everything...
;D

Scottie said:
This morning's "downtime" was due to a backup running. The site goes offline every day at the same time for a few minutes. Sometimes, it only takes 1-2 minutes. Sometimes, it's a bit longer.

Live backups generally caused problems, so now we do it the 100% reliable way... at the expense of a few minutes of downtime each day.

There are actually many (and multiple) backups running between our various servers throughout the day. Also, the timing of all of them is geared in a such a way that we also have a daily local backup of everything downloaded onsite here during our sleepytime (for bandwidth reasons).

Unfortunately, this whole string of backups means that the timing for the SOTT backup (with downtime) occurs in the morning Europe time.

Well, you can't have everything...
;D

Thank you for the explanation. Your skill and dedication as a tech makes you seem like kind of a saviour to me. Can´t help it.

Yes, thank you. We tend to forget the huge mind behind all this site, the work, the dedication. It is for me also very mysterious, I see all this like the cave of a magician. You are evidently the magician. ;D Thank you.

Thanks Scottie for the explanation. It also gives a rare opportunity to thank you for all that you do behind the scenes to keep the light ablaze. Without it we would all be in the dark. Thank you and the team for what you give us all. A priceless gift of truth. You are a 'star'. :D

Back
Top Bottom