17 Year Cicadas Emerge

mamadrama

The Living Force
The forest where I live is alive with the mating songs of cicadas. Millions of this brood of cicada emerge every 17 years from underground to mate, lay eggs, and then die. Only males produce the cicadas' distinctive sound, up to 120 dB at close range. Multiply that by millions and it gets your attention. In mythology, the cicada symbolizes resurrection, immortality, spiritual realization and spiritual ecstasy. Quite an impressive chorus to accompany Earth's changes.

mamadrama said:
The forest where I live is alive with the mating songs of cicadas. Millions of this brood of cicada emerge every 17 years from underground to mate, lay eggs, and then die. Only males produce the cicadas' distinctive sound, up to 120 dB at close range. Multiply that by millions and it gets your attention. In mythology, the cicada symbolizes resurrection, immortality, spiritual realization and spiritual ecstasy. Quite an impressive chorus to accompany Earth's changes.
Very cool. Wish I could hear it. I live in a semi-rural area right now, and am thrilling to the sights, smells, and sounds of spring all around me....

mamadrama said:
Well, it's not quite the same but here's an approximation. :)
_http://www.cicadamania.com/video
Wow, sounds almost.... industrial.....

I didn't know about this 17-year cycle thing. I remember seeing and hearing cicadas when I was a kid, out in my backyard, on the clothesline. I was kind of freaked out by them, until my grandmother reassured me that they were harmless. I thought they had an "electrical" sound, and in my child's mind I thought they were able to make that loud noise because they hung out on the electrical wires around the house, and had become "electrified". I've not heard or seen one for many years, but then I've lived most of my adult live in the "big city"....

PepperFritz said:
Wow, sounds almost.... industrial.....

I thought they had an "electrical" sound
Yes, you're right. It sort of sounds like a fleet of spaceships invading. It's this weird sort of whirring sound.

PepperFritz said:
I didn't know about this 17-year cycle thing. I remember seeing and hearing cicadas when I was a kid,
There are different kinds out there. 7-year, 13-year, etc. They all come out different years in different locales. Mass hatching overwhelms predators and allows for better surviving, or so they say.

Wonder if this event will coincide with April 2024 eclipse? Would be a sight to behold!

Strange and mysterious “coincidences” abound.
Here are a few screen shots of this upcoming event that I’ve also gathered.

CF07E772-8A22-4B08-815E-95AEEC2910FE.jpeg5846269B-E3B6-41C8-A77C-9782BA5AC8B2.jpeg
3BB7211D-7DD2-417A-9FAF-707943CFA108.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom