After Life

Turgon

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Very touching and hilarious show about the grief and acceptance that comes with the loss of loved ones through the eyes of Ricky Gervais, who plays a journalist that loses his wife to cancer. I'm only a few episodes in and it's well worth it.

From IMDB: Tony's life is turned upside-down after his wife dies of breast cancer. He contemplates suicide, but instead decides to live long enough to punish the world for his wife's death by saying and doing whatever he wants. Although he thinks of this as his "superpower," his plan is undermined when everyone around him tries to make him a better person.

Yes this is a fantastic series, moving imo. He really can capture difficult human emotion in a unique way. Well worth a watch to decide for yourself. I was in floods of tears watching this and at times in fits of laughter.

Thank you for recommending this series. Some time ago I saw a trailer in English and although I didn't understand what it said, by the shape of the character I already knew that it was something like Doctor House. Characters with a deductive way of thinking in the style of Sherlock Holmes, but always carrying a trauma for having lost something very important to them and mired in their self-pity and reflected annoyance towards others, end up ignoring the "the little things that life offers". Episode 1 and I already loved it.

I really liked Gervais' ”The Office” (the original UK one) and ”Extras”, and have had Afterlife on my to watch list for a while.
Other series/movies have however jumped the queue, as I have been somewhat hesitant about watching it (just seen a few clips on youtube), knowing how Ricky Gervais is a devout atheist and fully on board with the ”church" of Scientism. (He used to ”love Jesus” as a child according to this article written by him.)

I’ve had doubts, whether he could handle the delicate topic of the series without ”hammering home” his worldview, but I guess he is too smart to do that (at least too much?), and judging by your reactions, Afterlife seems to be worth watching, so will give it a go!

I just watched the After Life 6 episodes and it lifted me delivering such good story, funnny and sad all in spades. And I'm starting really liking Ricky Gervais, he seems on right track and he's serious puncher. Good for him and for me too, first series was a treat! Thanks for recommending Turgon.

Back
Top Bottom