Best USA state to move to

I would stick with conservative states where the people still seem to have some understanding of reality. Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, Idaho, New Hampshire, Oklahoma. I live in the coastal area of SC and have thought of moving to Tennessee. I think the C's said SC is rather seismically unstable - and there's a fault line a few miles from where I live :| Tennessee and Florida would probably make the top of the list though due to very low taxes (No state income, no personal property tax, generally lower property tax).

Has anyone thought about leaving the US in general?

What would be the best US state to live in
I would stick with conservative states ... I think the C's said SC is rather seismically unstable...

If concerned about global cooling, I would move south. I have been thinking about this for some time and it was part of a plan recently foiled by other events. I have also thought about leaving the country, in part, for cost savings.

It's not just the state you'll want to consider, but the town. USA.com has useful facts and figures on every town in the country, from real-estate prices to schools quality to crime rates to employment stats, growth vs. decline of population and economy, etc.

Session September 20, 1997:
A: Just for your information: South Carolina is extraordinarily seismically unstable!

I would definitely avoid western Oregon. I spent some time in Ashland, which is close to Medford, and though it's a beautiful area it's basically a "sanctuary city" for the homeless now. Eastern Oregon, though more desolate, has a few nice places (especially in the NE, like Enterprise and Joseph) and the people mostly ignore the west coast BS.

I moved from Sacramento, CA to Lewiston in Idaho a couple years ago and overall it's pretty nice. Clarkston across the river in WA isn't bad either, as the people in both cities share a lot of the same values. It's pretty far north, but this part of Idaho is basically what they call the "Banana Belt" because it rarely snows, and when it does it's usually just a few inches. It does get pretty cold for four or five months, but it hasn't gotten below zero F since I've been here, so it's tolerable.

The best parts of being here are the natural beauty of the area. You can drive two hours in any direction and find great camping, boating, hunting, nature trails etc. There are mountains, lakes, rivers, forests etc. And compared to CA, it's FAR less expensive. My expenses are about 40% of what I paid in CA, and some things like gas and electric are really cheap. I've hardly noticed a bump in food prices since I've been here (other than beef). The area is also...how do I say it...not especially "diverse." There are a lot of large, multi-generational white families with strong traditions (not all religious!) and most everyone is friendly. Very few homeless, and those that are around are in Clarkston, not Lewiston.

The only problem might be finding housing, though it's not overpriced. I'm paying $725 a month for a two-bed apartment with a large basement for storage. In CA I'd be paying over $1600 for a place like this. The area north of here, Moscow, is also fairly nice but it is a liberal town that gets more weather. However, it has the best availability for housing as it's a college town and students are always on the move. Overall the state has a lot of traditional conservative values that agree with me more than most, but that's not for everyone. It is kind of interesting walking into a grocery store and you see a half-dozen people packing heat!

Southern states seem to be best in many ways. Tennessee, Florida, Texas, Arizona.

Catherine Austin-Fitts chose Tennessee because the state and local governments have not been completely co-opted yet (though now she also left the US). It seems similar in Florida and Texas, which I think had the least covid restrictions in the Western world.

Personally I prefer Paraguay. Very low covid injection rates, low taxes, small government, subtropical climate, 100% water-powered electricity, relatively easy gun ownership, relatively cheap real estate and above all the easiest way to get permanent residency of almost any country.

Hi everyone.
Just have a question and looking for suggestions.
What would be the best US state to live in at the moment with everything else going on I. This world? With the ability to work and own a home.

I live in New York and it seems to expensive. Can’t seem to be able to achieve goals here.

Thanks
Hi pluto123. West NJ here. You could try Eastern PA if you wanted to remain somewhat close to NY but be in a cheaper area and close to jobs but still somewhat rural. Otherwise, I'd go with Beau's and other's suggestions if West NC area in the mountains.

Also keep in mind, like the C's said, it's not where you are, but who you are and what you see. Good luck on the house search!

I would stick with conservative states where the people still seem to have some understanding of reality. Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, Idaho, New Hampshire, Oklahoma. I live in the coastal area of SC and have thought of moving to Tennessee. I think the C's said SC is rather seismically unstable - and there's a fault line a few miles from where I live :| Tennessee and Florida would probably make the top of the list though due to very low taxes (No state income, no personal property tax, generally lower property tax).

Yes we have considered it many times over the years, leaving the US. We lived in Hawaii, Maui & Big Island, for 30+ years and still have children there. Expensive. However our takeaway from that experience is going to be the same as moving to any other country, especially south. We are now living in Northern California, actually just south of Medford, OR. close to the border. The politics here are atrocious.

We have seriously considered Costa Rica, Ecuador, Mexico, & South America in general. The three letter agencies are way too busy there for our tastes. We know friends in all of those places that we could impose on to get a start.

We have lived in the high deserts of Arizona & New Mexico. Parts of that we loved. Considered N.C and even took out subscriptions to newspapers from Boone and Asheville. Tried living in Alabama for awhile. Thought about Texas and have spent time there. Tried the midwest, Wisconsin.

We spent close to three years on the road living in a Ford pickup and a small trailer, 15 ft., with a cat and house plants. Crazy. We were looking for that spot where we felt that we "belonged". This place where we are, out in the country, chose us and so far it is working after 16 years. Not as close to family as we would wish, and that is always a consideration when choosing a spot to rest your head.

Having said that, here is for us, the negative aspect of all of those above options. We no longer want to be ex-pats living in someone else's space. We learned this about Hawaii after so many years. The natives don't like us!For good reason. It is hard to live around those who don't really want you in their land. They can 'make nice' and some really do like us, even love us, but we find that the energy field that we were living in wasn't conducive to being at peace. So with that experience we would rather not repeat the process.

We agree that renting before purchasing makes sense. At this point in our lives we tend to agree with the C's that at this time in history, if we are in tune, and this is most likely a right hemisphere connection, we will be where we are supposed to be and will be guided if necessary, and we believe it will be necessary.

We still entertain thoughts of "where next"? This is working for the present. That's all that any of us have we believe. Staying open is best.

In my opinion, it will still be safe in some usa states, but I would like to recommend that you move to russia. There are a lot of discounts for foreigners and if you're worried that you don't know Russian, I'll tell you, as a native, I know it 4 out of 5. This is Russia, things are very strange here.

In my opinion, it will still be safe in some usa states, but I would like to recommend that you move to russia. There are a lot of discounts for foreigners and if you're worried that you don't know Russian, I'll tell you, as a native, I know it 4 out of 5. This is Russia, things are very strange here.
I considered Russia too (I speak Russian). But despite the conflict with the West, Russia seems to be implementing the same digital control system - maybe more inspired by China. They will have the digital ruble CBDC and Russia is already among the countries with the lowest use of cash.

The other thing is that just like Russians are not welcome in the West right now, it seems likely that Westerners moving to Russia would also face suspicions or similar difficulties.

I have been to Moscow 3 times in the last year and half, but only brief 1-2 week stays. I am strongly considering a move there, as I don't have children or a wife here in the US. Although I am torn on leaving behind my immediately family. They have indicated if I wish to go, then I should.
I considered Russia too (I speak Russian). But despite the conflict with the West, Russia seems to be implementing the same digital control system - maybe more inspired by China. They will have the digital ruble CBDC and Russia is already among the countries with the lowest use of cash.

The other thing is that just like Russians are not welcome in the West right now, it seems likely that Westerners moving to Russia would also face suspicions or similar difficulties.
Pretty much all major economies are working on CBDCs - I have more faith in the Russian people to collectively dissent on the misuse of this technology that most other people .

I can tell you the Russians I met in Moscow were fairly positive towards me, and we got along well enough. Some of them even invited me to their region for a visit when I return. I know Tim Kirby has been working with the Moscow Oblast government to setup an "American Village in Russia" including visa support. There was also a "Welcome to Russia" forum which Maria Zakharova attended, which was intended to provide guidance and feedback for Westerns trying to emigrate to Russia.

The two main challenges would be getting a resident visa, and moving over assets since RF is so heavily sanctioned by the US.

Baldwin County area of Alabama has a nice vibe if you get back from the coast a bit. It is very close to Florida (Pensacola area). There is risk of occasional hurricanes, of course. Lots of pecan groves, horses, old hippies and Airstreams. There are a lot of (human) transplants there, but the place still retains its Southern flavor (unlike urban Arizona and South-peninsular Florida), which one may or may not like. Some communities are pricey, others not so much. I visit periodically and like it a lot. No plans to move there, though.

Texas is good. We had a surplus in the budget this year which lead to the legislature signing laws to reduce property taxes. I’m slightly concerned about the open border issue and the influx from California leading to unwanted changes in the future.
From my experience and interactions with people:

Dallas area is full of snobby people. A real California-type vibe of looking down their nose at you and pricey.
Austin is pretty but very overpriced
Houston (where I reside) is… Houston. Blue collar and lot of crime. Homelessness is big and drug problems. Plus it’s a diehard blue county/city. The county judge is crooked and the mayor race is in a runoff between two career politicians that stepped down from their congressional duties to run, so things will only get worse imo. Not to mention all the oil/plastics companies at dominate the entire east side; pollution is rampant.
Midland is great but also very overpriced from all the oil execs and difficult to find places to live.

I’m currently considering moving to Abilene, a small city west of Dallas. From what I’ve gathered, small areas in Texas are affordable but face drug problems. But that’s probably most places in the US now, unfortunately. If anyone has any input on Texas I’d love to hear.

@Jo Bugman: I lived over four years in Houston while attending graduate school, on Cambridge just a couple of blocks from the Astrodome back in 1996-2000. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. Even though I spent most of my time in the Medical Center it felt like a leftist indoctrination center, and there was crime where I lived. I can't blame you for wanting to leave, and I've not been there in 23 years. Hard to imagine what it's like now. The Medical Center felt like a prison even then. After 9/11 it must be infinitely worse.

Of all of Texas, the area I liked the most that I saw was from Boerne to New Braunfels. Almost that whole area along highway 46 was nice. But I bet it's expensive country.

I spent a night in an Abilene hotel. Not long enough to get a feel for the area. But definitely avoid Lubbock! Bad vibes just driving through it! I've heard East Texas along the reservoirs is nice, but I've never been there. There might be a small mosquito problem...

Good luck on your search!

Back
Top Bottom