Full explanation of the Wim Hof Method (animated video)

He was in Australia frolicking on a Melbourne beach while the rest of us weren’t allowed out of our house for a walk for more than an hour within a 5km radius.
Hard to imagine someone like him would get the jab - he is living exactly opposite thing. But anything is possible.
Wim has to much 'love and light ' new age vibe for me.
He is actually all about data, listening to your body, embracing the natural elements and breaking the frontiers for humans.
By now his achievements are well studied and documented and some of the human physiology textbooks are already changing thanks to him.
Been following him with interest for many years and I never got new age vibe, on the contrary.

Second - it seems there is dark side to whole WH empire stemming from very toxic family dynamics as explained in video bellow.
Wim does seem like genuine, STO oriented dude ( that’s my assessment after listening both Joe Rogan podcasts with him) however it seems he has somewhat failed as a parent. Uh well, nothing new - but i cannot help thinking how anything that has strong potential for betterment of humanity or speed its evolution eventually gets derailed.
Anyhow here is the video:
For some reason that link doesn't work anymore, but I found a current one. First link is the video creator's webpage which mentions and links to the video, the second link here:

I don't know if this is quite correct, but my impression has been that Wim Hof is a VERY moving center guy, perhaps the only example we have of a relatively successful "fakir" in Gurdjieff's terms, or maybe close enough at least. He recognized a particular "challenge" in the image of an icy lake one day, a gut feeling that it had to offer him what religion and philosophy had not (but had perhaps prepared him to notice). And seems that cold itself might have "opened his channel", if that's not too presumptuous, having the right personal makeup to hear the message. And thus, it seems reasonable to suspect that he "discovered the discovery method" for heat-generation breathing, cold adaptation, and the extension of those into further autonomic control.

And just as Gurdjieff said of the Fakir, perhaps he lacks development in the emotional and intellectual spheres. Thus the intense suffering in his family which it's hard not to lay partly at his feet. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder if on a higher level this "betrayal" is a price he willingly chose to pay for the ability to bring this knowledge to as many as possible.

Like Laura quotes from Gurdjieff in the EE video:
(This quote i found seems a slightly different from the wording in the video, but meaning is the same.)
“Right exercises, which lead direct to the aim of mastering the organism and subjecting its conscious and unconscious functions to the will, begin with breathing exercises. Without mastering breathing nothing can be mastered. But, to master breathing is not easy.”

Last thought: It's very interesting to me that, looking at it abstractly... it almost seems implied by his "quarantining" by his son, the techniques are considered less dangerous than the man himself. Like having people around turning themselves into "mini supermen" isn't much of a control system concern as long as the man himself is contained. But this could also be reverse psychology that enhances the enigma.

One - these exercises stem from ancient yogi practices and they are very stimulative i.e. kundalini stirring - doing them without also doing calming breath work could potentially overstimulate the body and even cause a burn out.

I'm not sure what you mean by kundalini stirring specifically - I couldn't tell from your phrasing but does that mean something separate from sympathetic activation?

I read and enjoyed Wim Hoff's autobiographical book, and I wholeheartedly agree with what you shared above. There's a lot of benefits to Wim Hoff when properly applied with knowledge and awareness. Any type of process which has the potential to facilitate deep re-patterning of the nervous system, which all techniques that may produce emotional release or spiritual experiences can do, requires a period of down-shifting into a deeper parasympathetic tone to integrate the experience over time. Not doing so can in fact lead to greater dysregulation of the nervous system in the short- and long-term.

Wim Hoff writes a forward in the book What Doesn't Kill Us, which is about the adaptive capabilities exhibited by hunter-gatherer and other societies of the deeper paleolithic. That's from a Friedrich Nietzsche quote "that which does not kill me makes me stronger." This has permeated modern personal growth and "hustler" culture to the point of being a cliche. My teacher's teacher for the one-on-one clinical breathwork facilitation modality I learned really deconstructed this whole idea in a post on social media which I really took to.

The truth is that what doesn't kill us does not always make us stronger. People can cause permanent damage to themselves by over-training on a number of stressors under the guise of wanting to become stronger. This can happen from an acute stimulus the body has no ability to adapt to (e.g. a weightlifter getting crushed under a semi truck). It can also happen through chronic stressors. The accumulations of strain on the body and emotions with no diligence paid toward discharging that allostatic load can make returning to homeostasis all the harder, if not impossible.

Some people simply receive too much damage (physical or emotional) for themselves to be put back together in such a way that they return to their original quality of life or ease. There can be a quality of hubris among those who value pushing themselves and pushing themselves, dismissing any form self-care as self-importance or weakness, like they can brute-force the locks set in place by the universe upon their state and station.

Another side to this, which is less obnoxious but no less problematic, are those work in a variety of the healing professions who think all suffering can be eliminated by everyone just going carnivore or using essential oils or never touching a grocer's receipt or doing breathwork or meditation. That thinking also pervades the allopathic and transhumanist medical system wanting to treat aging and death like they are curable diseases.

It doesn't mean we should wrap ourselves in down and never try and become stronger in all the ways that we can. The virtue is between the extremes, like Aristotle said once. Relaxation is fundamentally about surrendering to what is, and what and where we are in the now. All the emphasis on the personal power of the self, either as an achiever or a healer in a mass culture which lacks wisdom, is all about the force and the power, and never about the surrender.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by kundalini stirring specifically - I couldn't tell from your phrasing but does that mean something separate from sympathetic activation?
Well that was me referring to starting to feel the subtle energies in the body since I dived into this method. Perhaps kundalini was a bad choice of words but this is what the feeling reminded me of. Sympathetic activation or something else, these exercises have made me better connected with my body which fosters the feeling that i am more in control of it. Of course this feeling may be nothing but wishful thinking. Hard to say. I did manage to nip what looked its going to be pretty bad cold or flu in the bud twice while everyone around me was very sick as something nasty was going around.
I do not practice cold immersions only showers, but where I am the water is no so cold after winter. In my gym there is a plunge pool at 8 degrees. I really enjoyed this for a while but then I stopped after I learned that it can be counterproductive if you do it straight after the resistance training.
I read and enjoyed Wim Hoff's autobiographical book, and I wholeheartedly agree with what you shared above. There's a lot of benefits to Wim Hoff when properly applied with knowledge and awareness. Any type of process which has the potential to facilitate deep re-patterning of the nervous system, which all techniques that may produce emotional release or spiritual experiences can do, requires a period of down-shifting into a deeper parasympathetic tone to integrate the experience over time. Not doing so can in fact lead to greater dysregulation of the nervous system in the short- and long-term.

Wim Hoff writes a forward in the book What Doesn't Kill Us, which is about the adaptive capabilities exhibited by hunter-gatherer and other societies of the deeper paleolithic. That's from a Friedrich Nietzsche quote "that which does not kill me makes me stronger." This has permeated modern personal growth and "hustler" culture to the point of being a cliche. My teacher's teacher for the one-on-one clinical breathwork facilitation modality I learned really deconstructed this whole idea in a post on social media which I really took to.
Yeah it has sadly become a cliche. But it is also true in the most cases.
The truth is that what doesn't kill us does not always make us stronger. People can cause permanent damage to themselves by over-training on a number of stressors under the guise of wanting to become stronger. This can happen from an acute stimulus the body has no ability to adapt to (e.g. a weightlifter getting crushed under a semi truck). It can also happen through chronic stressors. The accumulations of strain on the body and emotions with no diligence paid toward discharging that allostatic load can make returning to homeostasis all the harder, if not impossible.

Some people simply receive too much damage (physical or emotional) for themselves to be put back together in such a way that they return to their original quality of life or ease. There can be a quality of hubris among those who value pushing themselves and pushing themselves, dismissing any form self-care as self-importance or weakness, like they can brute-force the locks set in place by the universe upon their state and station.

Another side to this, which is less obnoxious but no less problematic, are those work in a variety of the healing professions who think all suffering can be eliminated by everyone just going carnivore or using essential oils or never touching a grocer's receipt or doing breathwork or meditation. That thinking also pervades the allopathic and transhumanist medical system wanting to treat aging and death like they are curable diseases.

It doesn't mean we should wrap ourselves in down and never try and become stronger in all the ways that we can. The virtue is between the extremes, like Aristotle said once. Relaxation is fundamentally about surrendering to what is, and what and where we are in the now. All the emphasis on the personal power of the self, either as an achiever or a healer in a mass culture which lacks wisdom, is all about the force and the power, and never about the surrender.
I would say this is kind of common sense so nto exactly sure what is your point. There is always emphasis on treating your body kindly and finding the balance and even Wim Hof often mentions this. I never read any of his books just followed his workshops and talks online.
Of course there will always be extremes but you will find this with any method or philosophy.
I personally think it is very important to balance Wim Hof bretahing exercises with some other forms of relaxing and meditative breath work.

In any case, so far WH method has served me well, or so I think.

Yeah it has sadly become a cliche. But it is also true in the most cases.

I would say this is kind of common sense so [not] exactly sure what is your point.
It's not common sense for those who are at risk of trying to overdo things, though. Black/White "should" thinking and a feeling of duty can override that common sense fairly easily even though such a person wouldn't necessarily ask their best friend to shoulder the same load.

If you suspect whitecoast was rambling a bit, I could see that since I'm very vulnerable to doing that. But it's also possible whitecoast detected that that aspect of the topic deserved some mention for the benefit of who might pass through while reading, since it might be someone who's interested in "self-challenging" but a little over-exhuberant.

Regarding Wim Hoff, in this video by Scott Carney he presents some criticisms of how he teaches his method and in other respects. And he gives some warnings that it could be dangerous, especially if you combine hyperventilation followed by breath-holding with exposure to cold.
So I post it here just in case.

Yeah in fact it is considered big no no in wimhofian community to combine breath work and cold immersion.

I have been doing regular cold dips for about 6 months now. On average three times a week. There is no words to describe the feeling after you finish the plunge, it is like every cell in your body screams: - I am alive! I would surely do it every day if i wasn’t living in warm climate.
I have to rely on plunge pool at the gym which is on average 10 degrees. I usually stay 10 minutes.

Once it felt so good that i stayed well over 15 minutes and that was the mistake I will never repeat. I suffered what they call ‘after drop’ - and was shaking uncontrollably for at least half an hour. This was a bit scary and now i am always careful to use timer.

The rule of a thumb is to stay in number of minutes equal to number of C degrees. I.e at 10 degrees 10 minutes. However, some experts suggest that the as little as total of 5 minutes accumulated per week is all you need to reap medical benefits.

I never go to sauna afterwards, and prefer to warm up slowly and enjoy that “awakening” of every cell as long as it lasts.

Some people do plunges after workout for better muscle recovery and some before since it hampers muscle growth if done after exercise.

Before works good for me. I find my workouts are now way more focused and my strength has significantly increased.
Overall I can say that Wim Hof method has changed my life for better on several levels.
Morning breath work in the sun is definitely one of the best parts of my day.

It seems Wim Hof has indeed touched lives of many people, this story surely warmed my heart and brought joy…

Wim has to much 'love and light ' new age vibe for me. Cold showers and baths, cool, you got it.
Cass said the same thing years ago. But I'll just stick to EE.
We know where does it came from, right ? ..and Wim could be opposing team player.

So, this is very interesting what you said @Fluffy , during quarantine he filmed funny videos, fooling around
and I thought - where the hell is this guy :huh:
I think this documentary shows true Wim,
Simple, honest guy who has been to hell and back stronger than ever

Back
Top Bottom