Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning

hlat

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
The movie
combines elements of Skynet of Terminator, HAL of 2001 Space Odyssey, and free will of Minority Report. The idea is artificial intelligence becomes sentient and overpowers the deep states, has essentially unlimited computational power and therefore can predict what each person will do, and allies with psychopaths and killers to kill people. I think what trumps all of this is free will and the inherent unpredictability of free will, making it a bunch of wishful thinking. Still it's a nice illustration of computers overpowering people.

It's the concept of lies mixed with notions of truth (an introduction to the vulnerability of power) that I find most interesting in this film.

I thought it was a noticeable step-down in quality from the previous one.

Agreed, still it was pretty entertaining though, hoping they are keeping the good stuff for the last one.

I mean, it had Tom running full throttle, showing his white teeth smiling, a club scene with techno music and crazy stunts, so a winning bingo card. :-P

I thought it was a noticeable step-down in quality from the previous one.

I was somewhat baffled by the praise given to the flick e.g. by critical drinker and nerdrotic; I also thought quality wise it was mediocre at best, clumsy at worst, and definitely a step down from the the previous/sixth and especially the fifth film in the series. I guess the production was "damaged" by the plandemic, as there were delays and other problems caused by it.

There has also been some surprise, as it "only" gained ca 568 million USD at the worldwide box office (it needed 600 million USD to break even; luckily for the studio, an insurance company paid 71 million USD so they got there in the end). I think many people were just not that impressed with it, and were fed up with the trend of "two parters": the movie was subtitled "dead reckoning part one", with part two coming out later, but as it was not as profitable as expected, they wisely changed the strategy by retitling the following part and dropping "part one" from this one. Hopefully the next (and last?) Mission Impossible will be a return to form!

(About critical drinker and nerdrotic: I've noticed that sometimes they tend to "overpraise" a non-woke movie/ tv-series, but generally they are objective and on the mark.)

Back
Top Bottom