Psychomantium Mirrors - Past, Present, Future?

I think I understand why I felt so good in a recliner chair. I think that recliners work as a form of deep pressure therapy. Only that instead of having a deep pressure from above, as when using a weighted blanket, you have a deep pressure from below, because it is your body making a pressure by its weight on a recliner. In a regular chair, you have a pressure on only a few points of your body. But in a recliner it's all over your body, on a side that is in contact with the recliner. But you can also use a weighted blanket for the other side of your body for improved relaxation.

There is also something called Neutral body posture. This is what recliners try to mimic. So perhaps the reason why recliners are so relaxing lies in both, a deep pressure effect and a neutral body posture. So when we are meditating in bed, we could put something below our knees for a more relaxed posture. Something like this: PureFit Adjustable Wedge Pillow System

Or a footrest, when we are sitting, like this one: DAGOTTO Footrest, black - IKEA

When I meditate, I close my eyes and focus on the area of the "third eye" just above the nose. That turns the eyes slightly inward and upward. Works for me!

In 1971 I discovered a shortcut. In research experiments student volunteers were exposed to a number of relaxation methods as their EEG was monitored to see which exercises produced the most phase-synchronous alpha. Some were asked to visualize peaceful scenes and locations. Some listened to their favorite music. Others tried fragrances, negative-ion generation, and colored lights. Some of these things had a mild alpha-enhancing effect; most had very little impact. One day I tried a standard twenty-item relaxation inventory. During the first few questions—imagine a dewdrop on a rose petal or a cascading waterfall, for example—their EEG manifested little change. Then I asked. “Can you imagine the space between your eyes?” Boom. The pens scribbled the symmetrical waves of high-amplitude alpha. A subsequent question was, “Can you imagine the space between your ears?” Again, boom, high-amplitude alpha appeared instantly. When either of these “space”-related questions was asked, subjects almost invariably generated a significant increase in alpha brain synchrony in the brain sites being monitored. No other question or imagery brought about such profound changes in the EEG. “Objectless imagery”—the multisensory experience and awareness of space, nothingness, or absence—almost always elicits large amplitude and prolonged periods of phase-synchronous alpha activity.

So Laura was using unfocused upward gaze with closed eyes and was mentally focusing on the "third eye space" area. I think that she instinctively found a way to produce alpha waves while meditating, and that could have been a key for her success in meditation.

Back
Top Bottom