Honey Effective In Killing Bacteria That Cause Chronic Sinusitis

Nienna

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Having read this article on SOTT, I was wondering if anyone here on the forum might be familiar with this idea?

One of my major health problems is chronic sinusitis. Nothing that the doctors have tried has cured it. Of course, knowing that this is not what allopathic doctors try to do, it is not a surprise.

I am quite aware of the bacteria fighting properties of raw honey as I've used it on small wounds with great success. So seeing that this could very well fight the bacteria in a biofilm (which the biofilm also makes sense as to why I cannot get rid of the dang problem) also makes sense.

My question is, when these researchers say to apply the honey "topically", are they saying to apply it to the fact where the sinuses are? This seems to be a fairly messy way of doing it although I can think of no other way.

I have come to the conclusion that this is incurable. :cry:

Anyway, any information or suggestions are definitely welcome. :)

Hi Nienna,

I know you've asked about using honey to help with your sinusitis, and I'm not trying to redirect your search, but I did want you to know that I have used homeopathy successfully for my son's chronic sinusitis. He had a constant infection for almost five years. And it now has been years and happily he has had no recurrent sinus infections. It did take several visits to the homeopath, but with great results. Just thought I'd mention this in case you have not given this modality a try.

By the way, I do simpathize with your situation. Sinus infections can be very draining on your overall well-being. So don't give up on your search.

Nienna Eluch said:
One of my major health problems is chronic sinusitis. Nothing that the doctors have tried has cured it. Of course, knowing that this is not what allopathic doctors try to do, it is not a surprise.

Hi Nienna,

Reading your post reminded me of a transcript that mentions sinus problem.

I don't know if you've already read it and/or if it's relevant :

941126 said:
Q: (J) What causes my sinus problems?
A: Emotional repression.
Q: (J) Of what?
A: Feelings. Taught to be nondemonstrative in childhood.
Q: (J) There was a lot of repression of thought processes and creativity in my house as I was growing up. So what can I do
to help my sinuses?
A: Go out and smash a few flower pots. [Much laughter.]
Seriously. Harmless to others.
Q: (T) Well there is a whole bunch of them out there. (J) Should I identify the things I am angry at and name the flower
pots as I smash them?
A: If she wants to. We suggested flower pots because you
have a surplus. (Laughter)

Hey Nienna, another easy solution is take some isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) and some honey, mixed em in small amounts in the palms of your hands and then inhale it through your nose. A coworker tried this and told me he had great success clearing his sinuses with it. Straight ethanol would probably be healthier, but small amounts of rubbing alcohol mixed with honey should be well tolerated.

Echo Blue said:
Hi Nienna,

I know you've asked about using honey to help with your sinusitis, and I'm not trying to redirect your search, but I did want you to know that I have used homeopathy successfully for my son's chronic sinusitis. He had a constant infection for almost five years. And it now has been years and happily he has had no recurrent sinus infections. It did take several visits to the homeopath, but with great results. Just thought I'd mention this in case you have not given this modality a try.

I would love nothing more, well maybe a couple of things, than to be able to do this. Unfortunately, I am unable to afford this approach. :( But thank you for letting me know of this. It does bring me hope. :)

Belibaste said:
Hi Nienna,

Reading your post reminded me of a transcript that mention sinus problem.

I don't know if you've already read it and/or if it's relevant :

941126 said:
Q: (J) There was a lot of repression of thought processes and creativity in my house as I was growing up. So what can I do
to help my sinuses?
A: Go out and smash a few flower pots. [Much laughter.]
Seriously. Harmless to others.
Q: (T) Well there is a whole bunch of them out there. (J) Should I identify the things I am angry at and name the flower
pots as I smash them?
A: If she wants to. We suggested flower pots because you
have a surplus. (Laughter)

I can safely say that I have not repressed my emotions. :D Hmmm, flowerpots..... :evil:

Autobot said:
Hey Nienna, another easy solution is take some isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) and some honey, mixed em in small amounts in the palms of your hands and then inhale it through your nose. A coworker tried this and told me he had great success clearing his sinuses with it. Straight ethanol would probably be healthier, but small amounts of rubbing alcohol mixed with honey should be well tolerated.

This sounds different. I actually was wondering how to get the honey up into my sinuses but never thought of mixing it with rubbing alcohol. He didn't burn his sinuses up with the alcohol?

I have actually been using a dropper and putting CS up in there while laying on my back with my head hanging over the bed so that it runs up - ow! Because it really stuffs me up I don't do it very often, just basically as a rinse. Maybe I can do the same with the honey/alcohol mix. I will have think about this. (It's the alcohol that is holding me back. You know, imagining holes being burnt through the small layer of bone separating the sinuses from the brain and then slowly burning through the brain itself..... :/ Doesn't mean I won't try it, it just will take some psyching up on my part. :umm:

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate the feedback. :)

n said:
I have actually been using a dropper and putting CS up in there while laying on my back with my head hanging over the bed so that it runs up - ow!  Because it really stuffs me up I don't do it very often, just basically as a rinse.  Maybe I can do the same with the honey/alcohol mix.  I will have think about this.  (It's the alcohol that is holding me back.  You know, imagining holes being burnt through the small layer of bone separating the sinuses from the brain and then slowly burning through the brain itself..... Undecided  Doesn't mean I won't try it, it just will take some psyching up on my part.  Um...

I'm sure autobot will correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the idea is to INHALE the fumes of the honey and alcohol - not to squirt alcohol up your nose - that would just plain hurt.  Or, maybe he does mean actually suck it into your nose, but if so, I would understand your reluctance...

I also think it's interesting that you so quickly dismiss the repressed emotions aspect, which Louise Hay also links to sinusitis (as well as "irritation to one person - someone close").  Just because you feel emotions does not mean that you don't also repress them (it's usually a matter of 'type' of emotion being repressed).

Basically, if you're suffering from a long standing health issue like this, something is out of balance - all remedies will be bandaides until you get things back in balance, so it might be worth looking a little more deeply into energetic causes  (plus continuing to work on detox pathways).  fwiw.

anart said:
...I also think it's interesting that you so quickly dismiss the repressed emotions aspect, which Louise Hay also links to sinusitis (as well as "irritation to one person - someone close")....

Wow, that sure makes sense to me. Never had sinus problems of any kind until I returned home to nurse my Malignant Narcissist mother for several months when she was dying of lung cancer. I was a cesspool of repressed emotion and irritations, with no readily available outlet. During this period I developed two episodes of very severe sinus infection. The pain was unbearable at times. Since my mother's death I haven't had any recurrences....

Quote: Anart
I also think it's interesting that you so quickly dismiss the repressed emotions aspect, which Louise Hay also links to sinusitis (as well as "irritation to one person - someone close"). Just because you feel emotions does not mean that you don't also repress them (it's usually a matter of 'type' of emotion being repressed)
Basically, if you're suffering from a long standing health issue like this, something is out of balance - all remedies will be bandaides until you get things back in balance, so it might be worth looking a little more deeply into energetic causes (plus continuing to work on detox pathways). fwiw.

I also have suffered with sinus problems for most of this life. I could not find anything to help me for years, even trying consuming raw honey as part of my daily diet. Funny thing is that after resolving a long term relationship issue, and moving on with my life, I noticed a total change in my sinus problems. They did not totally dissapear, but the change was like night and day. I now have occasional sinus problems, but nothing like before.

I think that Anart is on the right track when she suggests that you look at what is going on in your current situation and evaluate what is actually happening. Your problem may not be what you think it is, but something related to that which you are not willing or currently able to accept.

My 2 cents,

gwb

anart said:
I also think it's interesting that you so quickly dismiss the repressed emotions aspect, which Louise Hay also links to sinusitis (as well as "irritation to one person - someone close"). Just because you feel emotions does not mean that you don't also repress them (it's usually a matter of 'type' of emotion being repressed).

I was going to comment on this very thing today as last night as I was thinking, if occurred to me (smacks forehead with palm). :shock:

I have always, in the past, showed my emotions quite readily. Never threw anything, but was quite able to express them. HOWEVER, after marrying my current husband, I ended up having to repress my negative emotions if he were there. I could express positive emotions all I wanted, but he was the only one who could have negative emotions. If I started crying, for one reason or another, I would be told to "quite whining!" If I had a bad day at work it didn't matter because he had a much worse day. If I started to say that I was feeling bad, he would ask me if I was going to start whining again, and on and on. So I eventually started to repress these emotions. Voila! You hit it spot on, Belibaste! :thup:

AND I never had any sinus problems until after I married him. Suffice it to say that I am in the process of getting out of that situation.

This leads me to ask, just how to release this stuff. I have really been doing a lot of crying lately. But my sinus problem is not just a case of it flaring up now and then. This is one symptom of many of a health problem I have.

About 13 years ago my sinuses plugged up completely. And I mean completely. I have scans of my sinuses done and there was only two very small open spaces the size of a small pencil eraser and these were in the back of the sinuses. The doctor said that she had never seen such a complete blockage. I could hardly talk and swallowing was very difficult. I was put on huge doses of prednisone (I know, you don't have to tell me) and went through quite a period on and off of this poison. But if I was not on it things would spiral out of control, part of it being that it would then give me asthma as the sinuses were dripping into the lungs. If my sinuses were clear I had no problem with asthma.

I am now on only 2mg of prednisonse, but am taking other meds to keep things quiet. These meds are something that I would dearly love to get off of, but I truly cannot function without them. There were a couple of instances that I just barely made it to my nebulizer at home after driving from work. I would cough so hard that I literally would lose my sight for a few seconds, which is not fun while driving. There were copious amounts of mucous being produced, and with everything I am on, there still is. If I don't take my meds, in 12 hours, everything starts to escalate.

Hence, I was very interested in the honey article, knowing its healing properties.

I don't see how inhaling the fumes would help much as I think that the honey has to be in contact with something.

Also, my sinuses were completely closed off due to swelling and polyps. One doctor, thinking he was witty, I assume, said that there were a gross amount of them in there.

I also went to an acupuncturist who after taking a look at me, said that I was very 'wet', meaning mucousie. How well I know!

So I am just waiting for some funds that are coming to me so that I can go much more sternly on the attack of the candida and detox as it is limited right now.

I have noticed a real improvement in some inflammation I have upon following the fat resistance diet. After looking at the genome diet and mixing it with the fat reducing diet (which really deals with getting rid of inflammation) I have ended up pretty much on the candida diet by default, although there a still a couple of things I need to do, which I am getting ready to do in the next week.

But since I have had this problem for soooooo long, I figure that it will take a while to right things.

That all being said, sorry for the rant, I am open to any ways of releasing any repressed emotions that I may have. I am not currently aware of any, but, obviously, I was wrong about this just yesterday, so.....

Nienna Eluch said:
I actually was wondering how to get the honey up into my sinuses....

anart said:
I think the idea is to INHALE the fumes of the honey and alcohol....

I think you'll find the following quite interesting. Note that they actually "irrigate" the sinuses with a honey-water mixture, and recommend "manuka" and "sidr" honey over Canadian honey.

Honey up the nose treats sinusitis better than drugs: Study
Tom Spears , Canwest News Service
Published: Tuesday, September 23, 2008

OTTAWA - Honey for a sore throat, sure. But honey for sinusitis?

Ordinary honey kills bacteria that cause sinus infections, in many cases better than antibiotics, says a new study from the University of Ottawa.

This includes the "superbug" MRSA. And honey is effective when the bacteria form "biofilms," or layers of living material that coat a surface (such as sinus cavities) and fight off normal drugs the way a raincoat sheds water.

So far the tests are strictly in lab dishes, not in live patients.

But testing on live patients "is very, very close," says Dr. Talal Alandejani, a resident studying ear, nose and throat medicine at the U of O, though first they'll do safety tests on animals. He expects it to pass these tests easily.

To reach the sinuses, "we'll use an irrigation needle. This is not new," he said.

"Probably in the non-medical world it sounds weird, but we've been irrigating with antibiotics already, so it's the same equipment . . . we're just going to use honey in it."

When a sinus infection becomes chronic, it goes on for months, resisting multiple courses of pills, irrigation (squirting salt water or antibiotics into the sinuses) and even surgery.

It's miserable. Imagine a cold that lasts the rest of your life, the doctor says. Current theory says there's likely a biofilm fighting off treatment.

Honey, Alandejani knew, has been used for centuries to treat infected wounds and burns in much of the world. It's the backup when antibiotics fail.

No one is sure what in the honey kills the bacteria, but something does. As well, it seems to stimulate healing in the injured tissue. And over centuries, bacteria haven't built up resistance to honey.

Chronic sinusitis infects 31 million Americans each year, clogging up the spaces behind the forehead, nose and cheekbones.

"Growth in biofilms increases bacterial resistance to antibiotics, which may explain why CRS (chronic sinusitis) responds poorly to antibiotic therapy," the U of O team writes.

Bacterial biofilms can also form inside water pipes, where they are notoriously hard to kill by flushing or chlorinating.

The team used two types of honey, diluted with water - a type called manuka from New Zealand, and sidr honey from Yemen. (They looked at Canadian clover and buckwheat honeys as well, but these didn't work.)

Both manuka and sidr honeys completely killed bacteria free-floating in liquid. They didn't kill all the bugs in a biofilm, but both still did pretty well, killing 63 to 91 per cent of different bacteria types.

These bacteria included methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), a "superbug" that is highly resistant to antibiotics.

MRSA is a particular problem in hospitals, and is also common among workers on pig farms.

Antibiotics tested on the same biofilms didn't kill as many bacteria as the honey. One type, rifampin, killed just 18 per cent of the biofilm samples, and seven more types (including vancomycin) all failed to kill any.

The results were presented Tuesday at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, in Chicago.

941126 said:

I also suffer from chronic sinusitis that comes and goes with a major "crisis" happening every couple of months. This insight from the Cs is indeed usefull!
That part of the transcripts slipped my attention as i did not know what "sinusits" was until today... :/

Thank you Nienna Eluch for bringing this up, and all the other members for their info and advice! ;)

PepperFritz said:
I think you'll find the following quite interesting. Note that they actually "irrigate" the sinuses with a honey-water mixture, and recommend "manuka" and "sidr" honey over Canadian honey.

Thanks for that PepperFritz. Unfortunately, I only have Oslo, Washington from the good ole US of A honey. :umm:

And I would gladly mix it with distilled water and irrigate with it, which is what I am doing with the eyedropper thingy and colloidal silver. It doesn't sound as painful as rubbing alcohol. :)

I'll have to look at this further.

Here's a little bit on manuka honey.

_http://www.benefitofmanukahoney.com/

Manuka Honey

Honey has been used for medical purposes by the ancient Egyptians for thousands of years. However, with the advent of antibiotics, most people began to regard honey as merely a home remedy. Recent studies are now indicating that a special type of honey only found in the New Zealand region called, "Manuka Honey" actually has more healing properties than antibiotics and has been effective in treating antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. This is a major breakthrough in the medical industry as Manuka Honey is now being recognized by medical professionals as an viable alternative to conventional forms of medicine.

Based on recent studies, Manuka Honey has been known to effectively treat the following symptoms and health conditions:
Athletes Foot Ring Worm Insect Bites Common Cold Symptoms
Arthritis Scabies Lice Eczema & Dermatitis
Sore Throat Rashes Dry Skin Wounds & Abrasions
Acne Burns Nail Fungus Aches & Pains
Blisters Ulcers Gum Disease Foot & Body Odor
Cold Sores Infections Herpes Psoriasis

Honeymark$20screen$20shot$202.JPG

The Benefits of Manuka Honey

1. Manuka Honey has natural antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiviral, antioxidant, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties;

2. Manuka Honey creates a moist healing environment that allows new skin cells to grow across a healing wound flush with the surface of the wound, preventing deformity of the skin and scaring;

3. Manuka Honey rapidly clears infection by destroying bacteria;

4. Manuka Honey repairs damaged skin and regenerates new skin growth;

5. Manuka Honey hastens the healing process;

6. Manuka Honey eliminates malodor by destroying the bacteria that cause it;

7. Manuka Honey can heal Staph infections and destroy antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria such as MRSA and VRE;

8. The viscosity of Manuka Honey provides a protective barrier to prevent wounds from becoming infected;

9. Manuka Honey causes scabs and dead skin cells to lift off the surface of the wound, leaving a clean healthy wound bed in which the regeneration of skin tissue can occur;

10. Manuka Honey stimulates the growth of tissue involved in the healing process;

11. Manuka Honey stimulates the formation of new blood capillaries and the growth of fibroblasts that replace the connective tissue of the deeper layer of the skin and produce the collagen fibers that give strength to the repair;

12. Manuka Honey has an anti-inflammatory action that relieves pain;

13. Manuka Honey has antifungal properties that can cure ringworm and other fungal conditions such as athlete's foot, jock itch and nail fungus;

14. Manuka Honey is all-natural and organic;

15. Manuka Honey has no known side effects.

manuka2.jpg

Antibacterial Properties of Manuka Honey

Manuka Honey has an antibacterial activity, due primarily to hydrogen peroxide formed in a "slow-release" manner by the enzyme glucose oxidase present. Some honeys are no more antibacterial than sugar, while others can be diluted more than 100-fold and still halt the growth of bacteria. The difference in potency of antibacterial activity found among the different honeys is more than 100-fold. Manuka Honey is the only honey available that is tested for its antibacterial activity. It contains an additional antibacterial component found only in honey produced from Leptospermum plants: what has been called the "Unique Manuka Factor" (UMF). There is evidence that the two antibacterial components may have a synergistic action.

So it seems that this is a bit different from other honeys. I do know that the stuff I have heals wounds and gets rid of infection as I've used it and seen the results, but it obviously won't do for biofilms if they have tried other honeys according to PepperFritz's article.

fwiw

Another thing one might want to look at is taking honey with bee venom. I bought some here and started taking it daily. Less than a quarter teaspoon is all it takes to keep me up all night! Still experimenting. Below is a list of links that I found while searching about the topic:-

_http://apitherapy.blogspot.com/search/label/Apitherapy%20and%20Beekeeping - articles and research on bee venom

_http://sci.waikato.ac.nz/staff/biol/pmolan - leading researcher in honey healing properties

_http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/ - Waikato uni research unit for bee venom

_http://www.apihealth.com/bv-collection.html - venom collection procedures

_http://www.medica.de/cipp/md_medica/custom/pub/content,lang,2/ticket,g_u_e_s_t/oid,14628 - cancer treatment studies in Croatia

_http://www.brightsurf.com/search/r-a/Honey_Bee/1/Honey_Bee_news.html - research articles on various topics related to bees.

_http://www.zlandessence.com/beevenom.html - workings of the bee venom

_http://www.theness.com/articles.asp?id=9 - skeptical aritlces on bee venom

_http://www.gilbertsville.com/bee/ - bee venom therapy journal

_http://www.mssociety.ca/en/research/CAT980602.htm - the website here seems to suggest no benefits in taking it.

_http://www.apitherapy.biz/pdfs/Honey.pdf - various studies

_http://www.apitherapy.com/products_venom_composition.php - venom composition

I have just put it into another thread -- I have actually used this method the other year, and it works:

2) Honey "nose drops": just take some raw, unheated local honey, apply it to a small cotton ball (or make a thin long piece of cotton out of a cotton ball, so that it fits your nostril better), and stick it into your nose while laying down, for 20-30 min [twice or thrice a day]. There even was an SOTT article saying that this has been scientifically proven to work against sinus infections

pretty soon you'll feel that the honey is sorta dripping down your throat, and some congestion from your sinuses will be as well. Blowing nose afterwords brings a lot of stuff out.

another thing I did was to mix thoroughly a bit of raw propolis powder into the honey before applying it onto those cotton balls.

Back
Top Bottom