Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Laura said:
Yes, if the detox is intense, it is probably better to slow down. I try to give myself a day or two to sort things out before I take more iodine. And at this point, I'm only taking 1 drop of 5 %!!

Thank you for the insight. I had decided since reading this thread last night, that I would start taking a break every two or three days to see how it's going.And also diminish the dosage.

My partner was only able to stand it for one week at 2 drops, after starting at 3 days of 8 drops to crush a cold. Then she had been a off of it for three weeks, and still felt some of the effects.

That's a point to consider: the fact that it acts for long periods in the system. And that certain individuals metabolise slower or faster.

Hi,
I started the iodine protocol in Nov. 2015, about 1.5 years ago, and I see significant improvements in my health.

For the first time in 15 years, I am enjoying Spring without having to take antihistamines. The allergies are down to almost nothing—yay!

Heartburn almost gone, no longer a daily occurrence.

But the joint and muscle pains continue, that tells me still have a lot of detoxing to do.

Like some of those who have commented here recently, however, I find the detox reactions bothersome enough that I must use the iodine sparingly and long-term, about one drop of lugol’s 5% per day, with days off when indicated, as Laura reports.

I have learned that the pain of inflammation is an indication that the immune system is WORKING. I now believe that the 20 years I dealt with allergies bronchitis, and aches by taking antihistamines, aspirin, etc., --all things that damp down inflammation—allowed pathogen populations to buildup in my tissues to very unhealthy levels. The pathogens only cause pain when they DIE--- but they cause all sorts of other nasty problems, and will take down the host in the end.

The time it will require for the iodine to reduce those pathogen populations to a livable size--where there aren't enough of them left for their natural death-rate to make me sick---will take a length of time proportionate to the time I spent using anti-inflammatories. Or so I suspect.

I have learned that the pain IS the solution. Adjusting my dose of iodine allows me to adjust the level of pain to something I can live and work with.

And it is clear to me that with the iodine, I am gaining ground. It is reasonable to hope that at some point in the future I will feel a lot better than I do now.

These are good news ka!

ka said:
But the joint and muscle pains continue, that tells me still have a lot of detoxing to do.

How is your diet like? Because it could be that still some food is causing an inflammation.

ka said:
For the first time in 15 years, I am enjoying Spring without having to take antihistamines. The allergies are down to almost nothing—yay!

Heartburn almost gone, no longer a daily occurrence.

Not a bad day's work!

I also have joint issues that recur now and again. Detox is an ongoing project on the background, but punctual protocols with specific anti-microbials has been the only thing that has kept a check on my joint inflammation. Diet is pretty crucial as well.

I suspect that as we detox, our increased need for nutrients will ameliorate and joint issues would be less of a problem.

The following article is focused on mercury, but it puts in perspective how a high fat diet and specific nutrients are so important to help our bodies detoxify from detrimental toxicants:

Mercury: The Quintessential Anti-Nutrient
https://www.sott.net/article/345184-Mercury-The-Quintessential-Anti-Nutrient

It highlights how a vegetarian diet is possibly the worst for our current lifestyle and toxicant exposure.

In retrospect, I'm also thankful of being able to put garlic and onions in my soup without breaking with hay fever. Before the iodine era, this would have been impossible.

Thanks, Gaby for the link to the article on mercury toxicity. I knew mercury was evil, but now I see it is even more evil than I knew! It is probably the biggest part of the detox problem.

I have been ingesting prodigious amounts of Vitamin C, Magnesium malate, and Chlorella, to mitigate it, as recommended earlier in the thread. I also do the salt-water (with a dollop of sodium bicarb as well), B vitamins, selenium, zinc, etc. And I continue the keto diet.

I notice my need for vitamin C is less now, but I still need incredible amounts of magnesium to keep from cramping up. Epson salt baths can be helpful.

Too much detox sometimes results in insomnia, and I find that magnesium and methylated vitamin B can sometimes put me to sleep if I find myself wide awake at 3 am.

There is no way I could have made the progress I have without the insight from the authors of this thread!

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

Merci Gaby pour le lien sur le mercure, très intéressant que je viens de partager sur ma page Facebook...

Thank you Gaby for the link on mercury, very interesting that I just shared on my Facebook page ...

Thank you Gaby for the link, it really helps me getting through my cold sweats of the moment probably rooting in detox.

I want to add an upgrade, I don't know if the informations has already being released here, for those who are concerned with iodine taking in the same time of vitamin C, it was a false information. I leave here the comments from iodine practioners on the iodine forum group :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IodineWorkshop/permalink/996568123811417/ said:
Q by J.I. : Do I have to take Vit C apart from Lugol's if I'm using it transdermally, bypassing the digestive system?

A : Joseph Irizarry, it is a MYTH started by someone who has now realised that it is perfectly alright to take lugols at the same time as Vitamin C. What happens in the stomach which has gastric juices etc. is totally different to what happens in a glass of water externally.
The Moderators here have always tried to squash this MYTH.

Q : Joseph Irizarry in addition to Crystal Wogan comment above please note the person who start the rumor now says it's wrong. This is coming from Lynne Farrow's experience of watching thousands of people take iodine and vit C at the same time, Dr. Brownstein's information he gives at conferences and to his patients, and Dr. Flechas's protocols he puts his patients on.

Hello, for the past few months I've been slowly getting my head out of the water and for 2weeks now I've been back into this iodine business.

So,
Waking up with 1tsp gros salt of guerande water, then
Starting the protocol with breakfast : fatty pork belly with blend of sea foods with
- 1 drop of Lugol's (2.5mg I2 / 5mg I- and since monday uping at 2drops)
- 1g niacinamide
- 100mg b2
- 200mcg selenium (not sure if correct form, it is said sodium selenate among others stuff)
- 200mg Magnesium Glycinate

Then taking NAC 300mg after a while

Lunch, Meat with zucchini, parsley,...

Before 4pm, ~ 5g Ascorbic Acid

Taking Probiotics (amazon) some time in the evening when on empty stomach

Dinner: Butter, sweet potato/rice with a bit of meat or "saucisson/paté"

So, tonight, i have received my command of fish oil (this - ebay) and had one (1g) and...
I don't know if I am detoxing or something else because I have a localized headache on the right side of my face close to eyes.
That also might be because my brother was in town and he brought some salami, bread and cod liver and had a small mouthful of the bread.

Also, i'm waiting for my l-tryptophan delivery tomorrow (to help me deal with anxiety, low-self esteem,...).
(I don't know why I bought l-Tyrosine the last time because clearly my issue are mostly serotonin related)

So i wondered what's the best time to take it because I've read about issue of proteins competition for absorbtion.
In the Nora gedgaudas's it is said to take it on empty stomach, so I assumed in the morning, but seeing my very much proteiny breakfast, i wondered if it's a good idea for optimal absorbtion?
But at the same time, I have read that tryptophan is also a precursor for niacin so, I though it would be a good idea to take it close to the niacinamide and protocol time for maximum boost.
Or maybe evening for better sleep, but I have Night rest melatonin (with magnesium, gaba, glycine, passionflower, chamomille) also for that

onemen said:
Taking Probiotics (amazon) some time in the evening when on empty stomach

Dinner: Butter, sweet potato/rice with a bit of meat or "saucisson/paté"

Hi onemen, it may be helpful to add a bit of fiber to your diet at night when using probiotics. That feeds the critters and helps them "take" better. If you're still eating lots of starches, there's a chance you may still be supporting a candida overgrowth in your gut, which will help prevent the good bacteria from taking over. The longer you stay in ketosis the more this goes away, especially if you take antifungals like black walnut, oregano oil, or iodine (at high enough concentrations). So if it feels like it's taking awhile for the probiotics to take effect don't get discouraged. :)

Sodium selenate is not a good form of selenium (some claim it's pretty toxic). Selenomethoinine is usually the preferred form (still make sure not to take more than 200mcg).

As far as when to take amino acids, the old general rule of thumb is half hour before a meal or one and a half hours after a meal. But it depends on the specifics - e.g. taking it before bed for specific issues, etc. Someone else may give you better advise, as I don't have experience with tryptophan supplementation.

onemen said:
So, tonight, i have received my command of fish oil (this - ebay) and had one (1g) and...
I don't know if I am detoxing or something else because I have a localized headache on the right side of my face close to eyes.
That also might be because my brother was in town and he brought some salami, bread and cod liver and had a small mouthful of the bread.

Hi onemen,

My honest opinion is that your headache may be due to the fact that you have consumed a whole gram of fish oil. The subject of fish oil is highly debated, but a general rule (for those who choose to take it) is that it should only be consumed in capsules contained within darkened containers. I checked up the ebay link you provided, and the container is see-through. DHA and EPA are the two most unstable fatty acids in nature, because they contain a large number of double covalent bonds which renders them extremely susceptible to oxidation and degradation by light. They are found in cold water/cold blooded fish in deep(ish) waters, hence are somewhat protected from the influences of heat and light. When the oil is extracted from its natural cold environment, and then consumed by warm blooded species, it is metabolised to toxic byproducts such as malondialdehyde fairly rapidly.

The byproducts of PUFA/fish oil metabolism are fairly well known to induce migraine/headaches. What are the benefits you are looking for by taking it?

onemen said:
Also, i'm waiting for my l-tryptophan delivery tomorrow (to help me deal with anxiety, low-self esteem,...).
(I don't know why I bought l-Tyrosine the last time because clearly my issue are mostly serotonin related)

I have been meaning to start a thread with a compilation of the research on serotonin. I haven't gotten round to it yet, so apologies. IMO, serotonin is not something that should be increased. It mimics the other stress hormones in a variety of ways, increases estrogen and prolactin, increases inflammation, activates the stress response, and elevated serotonin is a common feature of many different pathologies. For example, a quick look at the published research on PubMed shows that all Crohn's disease patients have markedly elevated levels of this hormone in the gut.

In response to your comment, I would agree that perhaps your issues are mostly serotonin related - in that there is possibly too much, causing you anxiety and stress. It is no coincidence that "Prozac" and other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors have been shown consistently to increase rates of suicide and depression. This has been covered on SOTT extensively in the past. L-Tyrosine is a safe, pro-dopamine pro-thyroid amino acid which is generally safe to consume and should help.

For anxiety etc, I would aim to consume amino acids which inhibit excitation. Glycine, GABA, and especially L-Theanine. On top of this, I would also recommend consuming equal amounts of grass-fed gelatine and bone broth with each meal. Because excess muscle meats contain high levels of tryptophan, whereas collagen/gelatine contain zero tryptophan and can balance out the inflammatory processes.

For some info:
The Hypothyroidism-Serotonin Anxiety Cycle
Serotonin, depression, and aggression: The problem of brain energy
Serotonin: Effects in disease, aging and inflammation
Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging

However, this is just my opinion on the matter and others may disagree, so take it for what its worth.

Thanks Whitecoast for the suggestion on Fibers, it's true I didn't really notice anything with the probiotics, though it's been only 1 week i've taken it. I recalled Nora talking about Fibers for good bacteria, so that might be a factor to look into.
So, non-starchy fibers, i forgot to mention I eat 1 small avocado everyday with breakfast, it's listed as a fiber source, wonder how much gram/day constitue a good intake, also zucchini, and parsley in condiment amount. I hesitated about spinach because i heard about possible water contamination and all leafy vegetables are in plastic bag in the supermarket.

I don't eat that much starch now though, compare to a few months ago, where I was eating rice like 300g/day (90carbs), it is a staple food in my country, so it has always felt weird having a meal without it, but for 1 month i've managed to drastically reduce the amount (not everyday and max 150g), and only late in evening. Also thanks to you guys, i've discovered sweet potato or rather re-discovered it because it's something we used to snack on, back in my country or origin (madagascar), though it's a skinnier variety and the color is purple there. And it's customery eaten with butter, so far so good, I wondered how i've missed it all this time. So every evening i eat either rice or sweet potato, max 50g carbs.

Seekintruth, yes, i've read about the possible toxicity with sodium selenate, i've researched all the suplement i have, also it seems to have reacted to something (i have it since last year), because originaly the pill was all white, now it's covered with lots of brown dot.

Thanks for the suggestion on the other form, i'll look into that.

With regards to the fish oil pill, i've taken one this morning with breakfast and habitual protocol and yes i feel a mild headache, not as strong as yesterday but still feltable and same as yesterday localised in right side of my head starting from my right eyes. I should mention also that i had uveitis when i was fourteen and my right eye is weakest in vision and red nerves, so i wonder if something related. ALso i'm left-handed.

@Keyhole

I've ordered the fish oil and l-tryptophan mostly as a mood cure for correcting chemical imbalances, as i've relapsed on smooking "a certain plant" for 4months straight. I've been strugling with it since I know this community, (4 years ago, can't be help, because part of the reason i found this community was thanks to this), mostly also because of my inability to resist my brother influence, he is a heavy stoner and he came back 4months ago, ... yeah I relapsed pretty badly (after going 3months without it, my longest streak), goes to show that fleeing your addiction or going away from bad influences are just temporary solution.

But This past month, it was really bad and distressful to the point that i didn't felt any effect anymore on doing it (high tolerance), so i've seek out solution and in the moodcure thread, it has been said to correct the one my addiction is boosting, so it has to be low-serotonin (obession, negative thinking, low-self esteem, anger, rage,...).

Though for the past weeks, reflecting on my life those past years knowing this community, felt like such a waste still doing it :cry: , while my fortunate and so priviledged of getting acquainted to you guys and discovering true knowledge
So i've gotten back to the basics, re-reading gurdjieff and stuffs about octaves and doing the EE breathing program rather religious everyday, learning the importance of feeling and living emotion instead of suppressing it (which my addiction numbs), correcting the diet and re-starting the iodine protocol, cold shower, 2, 3 times a day slowly lowering the temperature, and also a little bit everyday of streching and hands down/feets up lifting exercices, seems to have done the trick and more and more strenghten me.

To the point i almost forgot that i ordered this fish oil and l-tryptophan as a mood cure therapy (thread), which should come today or tomorrow.
Though, i feel good now, noticed niacinamide gives me a funny or euphoric feeling.
Now when my brother come here, he smoke his stuff and I am increasingly not giving up on the cravings... 2 weeks sober and counting not giving in with my brother nearby, seems like,... this is it. like, why is it so easy? Don't know how such miracle :lol: .

Thanks for the supplements & nutrition advices and links Keyhole. I noticed the research is fluctuating fast those past months, with things in the past thoughs to be good not so certain now,.... i guess the devil is on the details...

Attachments

• sodium selenate not looking good.JPG
    sodium selenate not looking good.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 167
It's not bad to take vitamin C with Lugol's but it does convert elemental IodINE into ionic IodIDE. CAPS for emphasis between forms.

Simple test. Take a glass, put water in it. Put some drops of Lugol's. See it stays brown color.

Now add some tiny bit of powder vitamin C. The color will disappear. That is elemental IodINE going to IodIDE which is ionic and invisible, like salt dissolving in water. Elemental iodine stays brown because it is dispersed, not dissolved.

Lugols is a ratio of IodINE and IodIDE. Taking vitamin C around the same time would convert the INE to IDE, making it similar to SSKI, which is purely ionic (and why SSKI doesn't have brown color).

Nico said:
Thank you Gaby for the link, it really helps me getting through my cold sweats of the moment probably rooting in detox.

I want to add an upgrade, I don't know if the informations has already being released here, for those who are concerned with iodine taking in the same time of vitamin C, it was a false information. I leave here the comments from iodine practioners on the iodine forum group :

[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/IodineWorkshop/permalink/996568123811417/]https://www.facebook.com/groups/IodineWorkshop/permalink/996568123811417/[/url] said:
Q by J.I. : Do I have to take Vit C apart from Lugol's if I'm using it transdermally, bypassing the digestive system?

A : Joseph Irizarry, it is a MYTH started by someone who has now realised that it is perfectly alright to take lugols at the same time as Vitamin C. What happens in the stomach which has gastric juices etc. is totally different to what happens in a glass of water externally.
The Moderators here have always tried to squash this MYTH.

Q : Joseph Irizarry in addition to Crystal Wogan comment above please note the person who start the rumor now says it's wrong. This is coming from Lynne Farrow's experience of watching thousands of people take iodine and vit C at the same time, Dr. Brownstein's information he gives at conferences and to his patients, and Dr. Flechas's protocols he puts his patients on.

I agree with Divide By Zero,

It actually says to use vitamin C in case of staining on my bottle of Lugol and I've used vitamin C to neutralise iodine stains a couple of times myself. Adding vitamin C to Lugol visibly changes it into a clear solution of iodide, like DBZ says.

So in order to benefit from both iodine and iodide, vitamin C should be taken separately.

Here's a photo of the label on my Lugol bottle:

Iodine_Vit_C.jpg

Edit: clarity

Back
Top Bottom