Tips to speed up recovery from concussion?

Thor

Jedi Council Member
I will make this post very brief as I should not be looking at the computer screen at all. However, I wanted to see if the vast pool of knowledge on the forum includes any recommendations on how to treat a concussion as I banged my head very hard against a beam at my new job :headbash:.

I know that no reading, no tv, very little movement and time are the normal prescriptions but if there is anything else I would be very happy to hear.

Also, if it is a problem to continue taking gaba, 5-htp and melatonin at night?

Thanks

Thor said:
I will make this post very brief as I should not be looking at the computer screen at all. However, I wanted to see if the vast pool of knowledge on the forum includes any recommendations on how to treat a concussion as I banged my head very hard against a beam at my new job :headbash:.

I know that no reading, no tv, very little movement and time are the normal prescriptions but if there is anything else I would be very happy to hear.

Also, if it is a problem to continue taking gaba, 5-htp and melatonin at night?

Thanks

Hello Thor,

I'm sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately I cannot comment if taking gaba, 5-htp and melatonin is contraindicated in your case, also when at wikipedia it is stated:

concussion on wikipedia said:
Medications may be prescribed to treat symptoms such as sleep problems and depression.

So, gaba and 5-htp may be recommended.

Lots of rest and sleep should help and maybe also pipebreathing to relax.

Have you seen a doctor also and is also a person around who does take care of you?

A speedy recovery for you.

A concussion would need the attendance of a doctor because there are standard things they watch for that are signs of danger and need rapid treatment. See your doctor.

If you were unconscious or have amnesia for part of or the whole incident, you should normally have a CT/MR scan performed of your head within the next 12 hours, in order to rule out developing hematomas under the skull. If the incident took place more than 12 hours ago, you would already have developed symptoms from a developing hematoma and the need for a brain scan is questionable. Expect to feel gradually better the next days, and avoid screens, reading too much and physical/mental fatigue. See a doctor if your condition worsen/doesn't improve during the next 48 hours.

Dear all,

unfortunately, I am still suffering from the concussion I got about 5 weeks ago. I have been doing nothing much, which means no computer, no reading, no watching films and no physical activity. Quite boring to say the least. This message is written mainly with my eyes closed to avoid looking atthe screen.

There is nothing much to do about it other than wait it out, according to my doctor, but since it is the sixth time I have a concussion it may take awhile. Last time, which was about five years ago, I didn't give it proper rest and it ended up taking six months before I was back to normal.

What I would like to as your advice on, is good info podcasts or audiobooks that you can recommend. I am almost done with the SOTT podcasts and am looking for something that can help me see reality as it is or help me see me as I am.

This might very likely be covered on the forum elsewhere but unfortunately I can't do a proper search at the moment.

I can't wait for this to be over as there is so much I want to learn but all in good time...

Thor, have you tried DMSO? In the cream form, applied topically to the neck and shoulders, it should help a lot.

Thanks for the suggestion Laura. I have some DMSO that I can mix up with some cream and see how it works.

I'll report back how it goes.

You can try to find an osteopath. One who can check if you have some kind of pressure in cervical. Due to the concussion you have to be very careful about the choice of the practitioner. Find one who work without doing "cracking" to start but who know how to release muscles.

Thor said:
Thanks for the suggestion Laura. I have some DMSO that I can mix up with some cream and see how it works.

If you don't have the prepared cream variety, just dilute it and dab on the area with a cotton ball. You want to be darn careful what you mix it with because it will carry it right inside your body! Don't be careless with this stuff!

Laura said:
Thor said:

If you don't have the prepared cream variety, just dilute it and dab on the area with a cotton ball. You want to be darn careful what you mix it with because it will carry it right inside your body! Don't be careless with this stuff!
And just to clarify, when Laura said dilute she means with distilled water, nothing else. Just wanted to make sure this is as clear as possible :)

Thor said:
Dear all,

unfortunately, I am still suffering from the concussion I got about 5 weeks ago. I have been doing nothing much, which means no computer, no reading, no watching films and no

What I would like to as your advice on, is good info podcasts or audiobooks that you can recommend. I am almost done with the SOTT podcasts and am looking for something that can help me see reality as it is or help me see me as I am.
I am sorry to hear about your concussion and hope you will recover soon.

There are text to audio softwares available which you can install and use it as trail version for 2wks to 1 month. Though they are not as good as professional reading, but they are decent to listen . I use this TextAloud _http://www.nextup.com/download.html. you can install and copy paste the text you want to read and play to listen. some come with a plugin to the mozilla too. you can copy paste the entire forum page and let it run.

seek10 said:

There are text to audio softwares available which you can install and use it as trail version for 2wks to 1 month. Though they are not as good as professional reading, but they are decent to listen . I use this TextAloud _http://www.nextup.com/download.html. you can install and copy paste the text you want to read and play to listen. some come with a plugin to the mozilla too. you can copy paste the entire forum page and let it run.
The text-to-speech firefox addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/91405/

Hi Thor-

I suffered 2 concussions within a month of each other last summer, and am still recovering. It does take awhile - it's been 6 months since the first one, and I still have some lingering symptoms. What has helped me the most was getting treatment right away, and regularly since then, from an acupuncturist/ homeopathic doctor. I get regular acupuncture for balancing the meridians affected by the concussion, and homeopathic remedies for the trauma to the brain and nervous system. Strong potency Arnica Montana at first, then natrum sulphuricum for constant headaches and other brain symptoms. Then, I was put on an herbal mixture called "Circulation SJ", to increase the circulation in the mini blood vessels in the brain. I'm now on another herbal mixture, for recurrent headaches.

You should NOT try to self-medicate with any of the above, however, as each individual is very different, and may need different remedies, depending on their unique combination of symptoms. Homeopathy works extremely well, but the brain and nervous system are so delicate and important, and so easy to mess up if you take the wrong remedy, that you should really go to a professional homeopath. The right treatment can work wonders. I can attest to that!

Hope you feel better soon!

SAO said:
seek10 said:

The text-to-speech firefox addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/91405/

I downloaded this and listened. though it is not as professional as textaloud still good, I think.

Have you tried piracetam/aniracetams? They are pretty good at promoting commmunication across the brain. You would need to use a choline with that, like choline cdp or alpha gpc. Im not sure if that would be helpful, i know its helpful for stroke victims though.
I have had 2 concussions in the last year where i blacked out, and then banged my head when i fell.
They just told me to be aware of any 'funny do's' and to take it easy for the first week.

Back
Top Bottom