Using DMSO while on prescription meds

My DH is on many meds for pain, hypertension and gout. It hasnt made his severe foot pain from peripheral neuropathy much better. He also drinks quite a bit. I wanted to try some dmso on his feet but there is not much out there about using it topically while on other meds. I feel like if I can help him get rid of some of the pain, he might try getting off the alcohol and changing his diet.
He is on a slow suicide path and very depressed and I just can't sit and do nothing.
We did go to a naturopath last year and went on a cleansing diet with supplements.
I lost 35 lbs. and felt a lot better, he claimed no change in the way he felt and slid right back into the same old habits.
I did too but now I am going gluten free and taking PB, enzymes, high C and magnesium as a start and I do feel better.
I dont know where to go with him. I understand it is his will to do this, but, I have to try. I love the man and I cant just watch him kill himself through horrible diet and no exercise. He is 6'4" and weighs 350 now.
His depression has gotten a lot worse recently, he is in constant pain and he cannot find a job, he has been unemployed since Oct. and I know he tears himself up over that because I am working, sometimes...
We are living on 80% less income compared to 3 years ago so I cant spend a lot on anything.
If I could find something that would help alleviate the foot pain it would be so much easier to get him on board with other changes.
Soon we wont be able to afford his meds, and I dont know how that will go either... I have to research to see what is safe for him to go off of first. I think theyre all bad. He has been on the max dose of vicodin for 6 years. It took 3 years and 6 dr.s before they diagnosed his foot pain as neuropathy. He also takes lisinopril, furosemide, potassium,clonidine, allopurinol and gabapentin.
He also has severe sleep apnea for which he uses a bi pap machine, but he has insomnia and takes it off most nights. listening to him try to breathe some night is tortuous, sometimes he only takes 4 breaths in a minute. I sleep like a stone most of the time.
I dont know if theres anything I can do. any advise or encouragement is appreciated.
I really feel like he is just not going to wake up on of these mornings.

The thing is, psychomotor impairment and particularly the reduction in nerve conductivity under the combined influence of DMSO and alcohol are practically double than those found with alcohol alone. So, if he insists on drinking alcohol, I wouldn't vouch for him getting DMSO.

If he doesn't drink alcohol, it is best to use a DMSO 50% cream topically. For instance, the one with rose-hips in order to reduce topical irritation. Then, you'll have to monitor any potential exponentiation of the drugs. The other possibility is that the DMSO will decrease the side-effects of the drugs, but don't hold your breath. This is a decision you'll have to weight-in, as it sounds he is in a very toxic state and with no will of his own.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Would he be interesting in EE?

Laurelayn said:
My DH is on many meds for pain, hypertension and gout. It hasnt made his severe foot pain from peripheral neuropathy much better. He also drinks quite a bit. I wanted to try some dmso on his feet but there is not much out there about using it topically while on other meds. I feel like if I can help him get rid of some of the pain, he might try getting off the alcohol and changing his diet.
He is on a slow suicide path and very depressed and I just can't sit and do nothing. .....
I dont know where to go with him. I understand it is his will to do this, but, I have to try. I love the man and I cant just watch him kill himself through horrible diet and no exercise. He is 6'4" and weighs 350 now.......
Soon we wont be able to afford his meds, and I dont know how that will go either... I have to research to see what is safe for him to go off of first. I think theyre all bad. He has been on the max dose of vicodin for 6 years. It took 3 years and 6 dr.s before they diagnosed his foot pain as neuropathy. He also takes lisinopril, furosemide, potassium,clonidine, allopurinol and gabapentin.
He also has severe sleep apnea for which he uses a bi pap machine, but he has insomnia and takes it off most nights. listening to him try to breathe some night is tortuous, sometimes he only takes 4 breaths in a minute.

Laurelayn, I could have written your letter a few short years ago, and you know your dear husband is in deep trouble. Do not under any circumstances discontinue his medication, those drugs are all for hypertension and congestive heart failure; except the allopurinol for gout, and the gabapentin was prescribed for his neuropathy, unless he has history of seizures, and then it would be for that. If he's had no seizures, that is the only one you can safely taper off of. Has he had a diagnosis of nephropathy? If not, and he starts alkalizing his diet and using bicarb, he might be able to use less of the allopurinol. The vicodin is for pain, and some of his foot pain, probably most of it, is the gout. I assume he is self-medicating for depression with the alcohol. He has to realize he is in trouble and want to fix it before he will cooperate. If he can lose some weight and get some mild exercise- like walking- it would improve his mood, sleeping and cardiac condition. Most of the bad food and alcohol he is consuming now can be forgone and leave more money in your budget for small meals of better food and his meds. Even taking the meds half as often is better than completely stopping them. It is possible to lose a lot of weight safely in a relatively short period of time, especially for males, and I can recommend the Paleo diet, have him look at a website for it. He needs veggies and some meat, and reasonable serving sizes. Nix all sugars, grains, legumes and dairy. Get him to commit to a short period of time, like a month, and then he can assess how he's feeling. If he starts feeling better it will be easier to recommit to another month. He may actually need some sleeping meds in the short term. Good luck, I know how frightful it is to watch your loved one deteriorate and not get with a program to improve their health. My own dear husband would not, despite having a masters degree and knowing better, and he passed away this summer at 60. You are not responsible for your husband's choices; and I hope that's not too harsh to hear.

Back
Top Bottom