Excellent Whole Movies Available on the Internet

Re: Excellent Whole Movies

Niall, could you explain better? I do not understand the question of your reply. English is not my first language.

caballero reyes said:
Niall, could you explain better? I do not understand the question of your reply. English is not my first language.

I think the title, Excellent Whole Movies is not clear in English. Whole movies would mean the entire movie as opposed to only a portion of the movie. Which doesn't really make much sense.

Maybe he thought that whole was meant as an abbreviation for wholesome. Which then would make more sense.

Maybe a native speaker who has been participating in this thread can answer my question.

Niall said:
Maybe a native speaker who has been participating in this thread can answer my question.

I see now that caballero reyes started the thread. I'm guessing Spanish is your native tongue so...

? Estas películas excelentes, son 'saludable' o 'completar' ?

I understand "wholesome" in Niall's question as "good", "worthy of viewing". So his question can be rephrased as "Is this thread for recommending movies that can be watched in their entirety, or movies that are good?"

The title of this thread is "Excellent Whole Movies". So I understand it as this thread is for recommendations of movies that are good AND can be watched in their entirety online for free. I haven't watched many of the recommended movies though so can't say if it is true or not. Do you find any of them objectionable, Niall?

Nevermind; I understand it now to be a thread about 'whole movies available to watch online', not 'wholesome movies'. Carry on!

I've added to the title of the first post to make it more understandable. For those who want to recommend movies in general. You can create a new topic on the mother board here.

Niall said:
Is this thread for recommendations of whole movies, or recommendations of wholesome movies?
By wholesome, do you refere to family movies? no nudity, no profanity? I did a quick search, and your question have more sense to me ...

edit/add ... to which can be find/locate in this thread as well, though

Many thanks Hello H20, Bobo08 and mabar for your replies.

The explanation because I titled "Excellent whole movies"

EXCELLENT = -Which is very good or Outstanding in some quality with respect to other things of the same species. For example, in this case, a movie that has many merits, with a generally interesting story; An excellent performance, photography and editing of excellent quality, or some innovation in the cinematographic narrative proper, etc.

WHOLE = - Because they are not trailers, but the complete film, that is to say as the film has left the commercial circulation, many are edited or censored according to the country to which they are directed for its exhibition.

I never thought there could be confusion regarding this topic;
Any way, thanks administrator and moderador for your intentions to clarify anything that could be misinterpreted in the forum.

Onibaba (Japan) Dir. kaneto Shindo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQOBI0ixNFI

Drama. Fantastic. Terror | Supernatural. Feudal Japan. XIV century. Cult film. J-Horror
Synopsis
In medieval Japan, the mother and wife of a warrior await their return from the front. They survive by deceiving the soldiers lost in the fields, killing them and selling their belongings ... (FILMAFFINITY)

"TO LIVE" Chinese film directed by Zhang Yimou (1994) 125 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB7HYhUpDz8

"To Live" is a simple title, but it conceals a universe. The film follows the life of one family in China, from the heady days of gambling dens in the 1940s to the austere hardship of the Cultural Revolution in the 1960s. And through all of their fierce struggles with fate, all of the political twists and turns they endure, their hope is basically one summed up by the heroine, a wife who loses wealth and position and children, and who says, "All I ask is a quiet life together." The movie has been directed by Zhang Yimou, the leading Chinese filmmaker right now (although this film offended Beijing and earned him a two-year ban from filmmaking). It stars his wife, Gong Li, the leading Chinese actress (likewise banned).

At first, the troubles are the husband's own fault. Fugui (Ge You) is a degenerate gambler who loses his family home and fortune at dice. "Turtle spawn!" his old father cries, beating him with a stick. His wife Jiazhen (Gong Li) wants nothing more to do with him, and from a life of indolence he finds himself selling needles and thread on the street.

The man who won his house gives him a set of beautiful shadow puppets, and he goes on the road as an entertainer, quickly swept up by the Nationalist army to amuse the troops. Then one morning, drunk, he oversleeps as the army retreats, and he hears a thundering sound on the snow, which is the Red army advancing. Ever adaptable, he joins them, and eventually finds his way back to his hometown and his wife, son and daughter.

Life is very hard. But they survive under the new communist regime. (Ironically, the man who won his house at dice is executed as a counter-revolutionary landowner.) A childhood illness causes their daughter to become mute and hard of hearing, but in the precise arithmetic of matchmaking a likely partner is found for her: A supervisor of the Red Guards at a factory, who is lame.(Roger Ebert edited review).

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/to-live-1994

Caballero Reyes, I have a question: do you know a Japanese movie about 3 generations of women, the grand-mother, the mother and the daughter? It is a movie in colour maybe from the 80s. I saw the movie and it was excellent and I also read the book but I have lost all references. It is a very, very good movie and as I said, the story of 3 women, 3 generations of Japanese women. I looked for this movie without success. Also look for the book without finding nothing. Maybe you know. Or maybe you know where I can check?

Thank you!

Hi, Loreta: In the last years, in the local cinemas they have not exhibited Japanese films. On the internet I find some with subtitles, co-productions with European countries.

I did a search and I found this movie that I have not seen but it seems interesting, maybe it's the one you're referring to:

The Displaced View.
A film by Midi Onodera
Canada, 1988, 52 minutes, Color, VHS/16mm

THE DISPLACED VIEW is a film that movingly depicts the odyssey of an American-born Japanese granddaughter in search of her identity through her grandmother who is the last of the family born in Japan. The sense of isolation the granddaughter feels as a Japanese woman who cannot speak Japanese is skillfully evoked in a montage of images gleaned from old photographs, movies, animated puppets, and various experimental film techniques. Onodera focuses almost exclusively on Japanese women as preservers of the old traditions in a country where they have no meaning. By revealing the inconsistency of memory and the cultural erosion of assimilation, the fragile identity of the Japanese in North America is eloquently expressed, and the sense of alienation and displacement heightens as the old voices try to remember the past. The narrative shifts between English and Japanese, as well as between generations. Japanese subtitles are artfully displayed throughout. The focus on women makes this film ideal for women’s studies, but the historical overview would be important in other disciplines such as history and sociology. Highly recommended for academic libraries. -Roxanna Herrick, SUNY at Stony Brook Library.

Unfortunately is not this movie. This one is a documentary. My movie is a movie with actresses and based on a Japanese book. Well, I thank you and I will continue to look for it and if I find it I will tell you.

Thank you Caballero!

"Once Were Warriors" New Zealand film Directed by Lee Tamahori

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7J_BY0N-iU

Once Were Warriors is a 1994 New Zealand drama film based on New Zealand author Alan Duff's bestselling 1990 first novel.[3] The film tells the story of the Hekes, an urban Māori family, and their problems with poverty, alcoholism, and domestic violence, mostly brought on by the patriarch Jake. The film was directed by Lee Tamahori and stars Rena Owen, Temuera Morrison and Cliff Curtis

Plot

Beth left her small town and, despite her parents' disapproval, married Jake "The Muss" (named for his big muscles) Heke. After 18 years, they live in an unkempt state house in an unnamed New Zealand city and have five children. Their interpretations of life and being Māori are tested.

Jake is fired from his job, but is satisfied with receiving unemployment benefit and spending most days getting drunk at the local pub with his friends. Jake has a violent streak, which he displays by savagely beating a muscular patron who dares to disrupt a female singer's (Mere Boynton) performance that Jake enjoys. He often invites crowds of friends from the bar to his home for drunken parties. When his wife "gets lippy," he brutally attacks her in front of their friends, who are too intimidated to interfere. Beth turns to drink when things go wrong, and has angry outbursts and occasional violence of her own, on a much smaller scale. Her children fend for themselves, resignedly cleaning the blood-streaked house after their father has beat their mother.

Nig, the Hekes' eldest son, moves out to join a gang whose rituals include getting facial tattoos (in Māori culture called tā moko). He is subjected to an initiation beating by the gang members, but is then embraced as a new brother, and he later sports the gang's tattoos. Nig cares about his siblings but despises his father. He is angered when his mother is beaten but does not intercede.

Jake's middle son, Mark "Boogie" Heke, has a history of minor criminal offences. He is placed in a foster home as a ward of the state due to his parents' home life. Jake is unconcerned by Boogie's incarceration and hopes it will toughen him up. Despite his initial anger, Boogie finds a new niche for himself, as the foster home's manager, Mr. Bennett, helps him embrace his Māori heritage. From wiki (Edited)

Back
Top Bottom