Quick Questions - Joints and Muscles

luke wilson

The Living Force
Hi guys,

I wasn't sure what thread to stick this on... can it please be moved to an appropriate thread if necessary?

Got a quick question on a couple of things that plague me:

1) I had this one for awhile, at least since high school. Basically the problem is as follows, if I don't walk enough in a certain period, the next time I take a relatively long walk, literally like anything over a mile, my legs feel like they are on fire and it's quite painful and discomforting. The muscles on my thighs, my calves etc, they all feel like many tiny needles prickling at the same time. The sensation is like sizzling heat and feels slightly itchy as well due to the quadrillion prickles. To stop this from happening, I have to make sure I cover a pre-requisite distance on foot on a regular basis. Any idea what this is? I thought it was normal at first but after taking a survey from people I know, apparently it isn't. A work colleague thinks it's to do with really tight muscles and that I should do more stretch work e.g. yoga.

2) One of my ankle clicks incessantly on an on/off basis when I walk. Any idea what could be the cause? It's not like a health problem, no pain, it's just always clicking... my friend thought it were my shoes!!!

3) If I do a press up with a flat palm, it feels like the muscles behind my wrist are about to tear off. So much so I can't do press ups flat palmed. Any ideas?

Any of the above cause for concern i.e. should I check them out with a GP or something? Could sugar be responsible for any of these?

It sounds like you might benefit from taking regularly bone broth to help your tissues strengthen with the appropriate nutrients. Doing some resistance training will also help you build strength in your muscles. Perhaps there is also a mineral deficiency. Do you take magnesium and potassium or other minerals?

Sugar is usually a contributing factor. How does your diet looks like?

Hi Luke Wilson,

what you describe sounds quite uncomfortable. What came to mind when reading your post was that it could also be a result of very stiff connective tissue (the sheaths that cover the muscle fibers). If this is the case there are both supplements and exercises that could help. Doing yin-yoga that focuses on long slow stretches where gravity and time make the connective tissue give way is a very gentle yet efficient way to loosen deep tightnesses in the body.

As Gaby mentions, bone broth could be a very good idea. Also, hyaluronic acid could be a supplement to look into as it helps bind more water in the connective tissue thereby increasing the flexibility of the tissue. Hyaluronic acid is present in bone broth but you might benefit from higher concentrations. Im no expert so you'll have to do your own research but I just wanted to put it out there.

Lastly, there are several alternative treatment methods that posit that emotional and psychological trauma are stored physically in the body. One of them, Rolfing, believes that stiff connective tissue is the physical result of past emotional upset. So this may also be something to look into.

FWIW.

JointAstin a strong formula, or a dietary supplement that provides a "nourishing" support aimed at strengthening the joints, tendons and synovial fluid.

Its basic ingredient astaxanthin, a natural carotenoid pigment from algae with exceptional antioxidant properties, because 550x stronger than vitamin E and 10 times stronger than beta carotene.

JointAstinOpušta (softens) inflamed joints and tendons and stimulates the formation of new, healthy cartilage, at the same time reduces inflammation, regenerates damaged cells and strengthens, protects and preserves the joints, tendons and muscles. JointAstin is clinically as effective in conditions associated with the joints and tendons, and is the only formula is approved by the physician, based on scientific research and clinical studies that examine more inflammation at the cellular level.

Bosvelija has a long tradition as an ingredient that reduces pain, but only in the last decade of scientific research failed to declare this plant anti-inflammatory agent with equal force as some conventional drugs, but without side effects. The active components are Bosvelije bosvelijske acids possess anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties protuartritična.

Omega 3 fatty acids, also represented in this natural food supplement, reduce inflammation, accelerate healing and re-creating and strengthening cell membranes in the joints, tendons and muscles

JointAstin is one of the favorite products in recreational and professional athletes because

- Regenerates and accelerates the recovery of injured tendons, joints surfaces, a pulled muscle cell membranes and fluid in the joints
- Blocking inflammation already at an early stage as well as a variety of pathways that lead to inflammation
mutes continuous as well as initial inflammation
- Rebuilding the surface of joints and its structure with glucosamine
- Re-strengthens cell membranes joint capsules, synovial lining and tendons

It has an excellent and preventive action by readily use and people who are engaged in recreational sport in which continuous burden joints to avoid injuries.
Hope that helps, good luck.

Gaby said:

I think that sugar plays a bit part as well. For me sugar has caused some very stiff muscles especially in my neck and shoulder areas. Cutting out table sugar completely and going low carb, if you haven't already, would be a good experiment for you to try. Sugar/carb consumption can cause depletion of minerals.

Trying Thor's recommendation of rolfing would be a good idea as well. It can help loosen up the fascia and allow your muscles to move more freely.

Thanks for the advice guys. Next time I go to the GP, I'll make sure to run these questions by him just to see what he says. The most uncomfortable one of all these is the first one, with the leg pain, I did a self assessment NHS test, where they ask you questions about the nature of the leg pain and mine came up blank. The thing is, it only appears if I don't walk for a duration of a couple of days, then take a long walk. So it's quite specific and not always there. During prolonged periods of not walking, something must be happening in my legs, then when I next walk, I experience pain as the muscles and fibres in my leg adjust back to how they were before.

Gaby said:
It sounds like you might benefit from taking regularly bone broth to help your tissues strengthen with the appropriate nutrients. Doing some resistance training will also help you build strength in your muscles. Perhaps there is also a mineral deficiency. Do you take magnesium and potassium or other minerals?

I try and do resistance training a couple of times a week, of late I've also been doing stretches with my sister. I'm quite unflexible! :(

My diet since xmas has been bad. I am addicted to sugar badly and have been for quite awhile. I need to do some searches on how to beat sugar addiction. Literally if I go a long time without sugar, I have very strong withdrawal symptoms. I was talking to a guy in my office who does semi-professional sports and his advice was that when that happens, I should eat healthy sugars e.g. a fruit as compared to lets say raiding the vending machine to get the sugar fix, this way I can start to manage it slightly better.

I used to take magnesium but haven't re-topped my supplement since it ran out. I will. I started taking ovacados since I read keto-adapted but this is on an on/off basis.

If it's a deficiency, whatever it is, I have been deficient in it for a very long time.

Thor, I'm definitely looking up joining some form of yoga.

Thanks casper, I'll look into JointAstin

maybe, and it's a big maybe, essential oils of Gaultheria procumbens and Helichrysum italicum could relieve you a bit

Luke here's a yoga session I have recently started practicing which has helped me.

https://youtu.be/cU0UKoWmvO0

Thebull said:
Luke here's a yoga session I have recently started practicing which has helped me.

https://youtu.be/cU0UKoWmvO0

I'll be trying this! Something that I can try at home...

Thanks!

Was also thinking maybe a bit of Bikram/hot yoga but that will involve paying a fee for a professional yoga class. I was thinking maybe the heat might be good for the muscles?

If you want a cheaper option than joining a yogastudio you could try online video based yoga lessons. It's not the same as being there in the studio but I've found it to be quite OK and a lot better than nothing :). There are several sites out there. I've used yogaglo.com. I think you can sign up for free for the first 14 days. If you do, just do a search for yin yoga.

As I understand it the muscles move within the fascia. Therefore stretching the muscles will have some short term effect but the tightness of the fascia will "pull-back" the muscle to a tighter state. Many people experience a pleasant experience with hot-yoga but the effect is often short term as the muscles contract as they cool down.

I used to be "stiff as a board" before I started doing yoga and could just barely touch my knees with my finger tips, standing with straight legs. While I'm not very flexible by any standard, I can now easily reach the floor.

From your other post on sugar addiction I think that a lot of the stiffness stems from there. Once I did a yoga practice where flush your bowels by drinkink luke warm salt water (10% solution that is the same as the liquid in the body) and did certain postures until all the contents in the intestines was flushed out (about 30 glasses over the course of 5 hours). There was a week of preparation and you had to eat a very controlled diet afterwards until the probiotic environment in your gut was re-established so this is not something I would recommend without proper guidance. The point I want to make, however, is that once all the "bad stuff" is flushed from your intestines your body reacts immediately by becoming more flexible and at ease.

Another perspective, is that I think that people continue "bad habits" until the pain of continuing the habit exceeds the discomfort of breaking it. Seen from this perspective, pain (both physical or psychological) can be a great motivator and catalyst and were it not for pain, I would never have made many of the choices that I have but continued in "blissful" ignorance.

So thanks for posting this and I hope that the pain and discomfort can serve as a motivation. Best of will :) (I think it has a lot more to do with will than luck...)

luke wilson said:
My diet since xmas has been bad. I am addicted to sugar badly and have been for quite awhile. I need to do some searches on how to beat sugar addiction. Literally if I go a long time without sugar, I have very strong withdrawal symptoms. I was talking to a guy in my office who does semi-professional sports and his advice was that when that happens, I should eat healthy sugars e.g. a fruit as compared to lets say raiding the vending machine to get the sugar fix, this way I can start to manage it slightly better.

If your diet's bad, then I'd say that's the first place to start. If you're eating candy poison from vending machines, then it's undoubtedly causing all kinds of damage to you. If you have a sugar addiction, then I'd suggest looking into treating a fungal overgrowth. For a fungal overgrowth, here's what I did:

If you think you have a yeast problem, I'd personally suggest focusing on fixing that. I treated a yeast overgrowth in myself last year (two different ones!) and it very strongly contributed to my negative introject--the effects were significant. I used this to kill the yeast in my digestive tract:

_http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Candida-Veg-capsules-180-Count/dp/B000E7R3FY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425423009&sr=8-1

I think I took two pills 3 times a day, for two months. I worked with an Applied Kinesiologist who did muscle testing and used a resonator (an interesting device) to determine the amount and length of time that I needed, so whether that formula and dosing will work for you and how much time may depend on your specific situation. While taking that, I took alpha lipoic acid (1.2 GRAMS a day initially) and activated charcoal powder to mop up the toxins the yeast would release while dying. I really can't convey enough how helpful getting rid of the yeast was.

I also had some kind of weird systemic yeast infection that was particularly intense and took neem for it:

_http://www.amazon.com/Himalaya-Herbs-Systemic-Purifier-Caplets/dp/B001GCTTPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425423292&sr=8-1

I think I also took 2 pills of those, 3 times a day, for about a month. I felt absolutely terrible and depressed while taking it (at least for the first week or two), but getting rid of that yeast helped tremendously.

Hi Luke,

Well, just one idea - your symptoms seem to be indicating poor circulation of blood and energy also a lack of blood and body fluids.
I can't tell more as I have no way to check out, but if you have a Chinese medicine practitioner nearby, I would recommend, as they are doing more good and less harm than the western medicine would do. I've seen this many times.

Of course, nothing is guaranteed so be careful when diagnosed: they should ask a lot of questions about lifestyle, other bodily signs, should measure pulse, examine tongue. If not, they aren't good enough, just routine workers.

I give you a link about peripheral neuropathy: I'm not saying that that's what you have, just to offer you a way of looking at a disease which is far more thoroughly than in other practices.

https://www.acufinder.com/Acupuncture+Information/Detail/Treating+Peripheral+Neuropathy+with+Acupuncture+and+Chinese+Medicine

Get well soon!
Joy

Could the wrist issue have to do with repetitive strain injury from work? You can be a prolific writer and if you also work at a computer, then it may be related?

As someone who has spent the last two years whinging about these kinda pains, i'll tell you what's been worthwile for me :)

Ketogenic diet - for healing and regeneration. Couldn't have done it without it; still drinking lots of broth, fat bombs and just enough protein for repair.
Stretching: for an hour or more, depending on how long it took for my stiff body to warm up (usually listening to STR). It's like retraining your body - i guess - it's what it felt like; produces tangible results: better sleep, less aches in the day. (this could correct any long term bad habits too)
Hot baths: before stretching or bed to loosen up. Add the flakes as below and essentials oils can't go amiss ;) I like lavendar. Due to nerve issues i've had to skip the cold protocol for the moment but i imagine that would be very helpful.
Magnesium: the flakes in the bath, couldn't be without it. Make the oil too. Supplements: i like MyProtein (UK) Zinc Citrate and mag. i found malate easy on the bowels so could take for any pain during day.
Potassium: powder seems to be the easiest route, otherwise you're taking lots of pills. Recommended for restless leg syndrome.
Fish oil/Krill oil: joints and healing, i take as much and the best quality i can afford
MSM: tastes disgusting, too much will make you feel sick, but it apparently does good for ligaments and even though i can't be sure, it felt like it did good. Detoxifies too (apparently).
Sufficient sleep: repair - i've found i need much more sleep to feel ok than i ever did.
Boric acid/Borax/Boron: Jury is still out, but i 'feel' as though it does something. Check out the boron thread. And online there's a lot of discussion regarding it's benefit for bone and joints.
Tumeric: i just add it to as much food as i can; works great in mince. For inflammation.

I found certain problem areas could react to changes in temperature, a histamine reaction resulting in hives.

If i'm in a lot of pain, or it's interfering with work, iburprofen helps; recently i had to go for Ibuprofen + codeine, can make you feel like jelly. Not recommendations, just my experience.

I'll also be going to some accident injury therapist so if i find that beneficial, will let you know :) Oh, and i'm thinking about that Fir/Far infrared sauna which is supposed to be good for healing.

I find coffee helps if i'm struggling through the day too - the proper stuff not instant ;)

It sounds like long term bad posture, typing style or something like that coupled with a bad diet, fwiw.

Shared Joy said:
Hi Luke,

Well, just one idea - your symptoms seem to be indicating poor circulation of blood and energy also a lack of blood and body fluids.
I can't tell more as I have no way to check out, but if you have a Chinese medicine practitioner nearby, I would recommend, as they are doing more good and less harm than the western medicine would do. I've seen this many times.

This was true for me, and it seemed the more regeneration - and it's waste products - the higher the requirement to 'help this along' - hence the stretching, hot baths but also good CLEAN diet; my lymphs felt overloaded and i was more susceptible to infection.

edit: spelling

Just to clarify, these conditions are not new and have been with me for at least 10 years now.

I think some may be indicative of poor circulation, though I did check on this on the NHS self assessment test but I didn't satisfy the criteria regarding my legs. I do however think it fits some of the symptoms of Peripheral Neuropathy (the tingling, burning sensation). Though as I said, it is only activated under certain conditions; prolonged period of inactivity followed by sudden onset of activity. During the activity, they are on fire. Then after, they stop and act normal until the next period of inactivity.

I'm now thinking circulation issues that affect distribution of energy, oxygen etc especially taking into account that people always tell me I have cold hands.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/cold-hands/basics/causes/sym-20050648

Regarding energy circulation, I also feel like my body exhausts energy quite quickly, especially cardio-vascular energy. In trying to compare against other people, it's quite hard to measure what constitutes normal energy levels but I'm pretty certain what I feel as exhaustion of energy when I exert my heart is more than I should and it happens quicker than it should.

I'm starting to think all this could be early symptoms of something else brewing under the surface that might strike full force at a later age.

I haven't been to a GP in awhile but every time I go they give me the all clear. All they do nowadays is just ask you lifestyle questions, do some tests e.g. take blood pressure, check heart rate etc, then off the door you go!

Clearly I'm going to have to have a sit down and consider my health and lifestyle, starting by wiping out sugar.

Back
Top Bottom