The Nightmare (2015) - On sleep paralysis

mkrnhr

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
I thought this movie/documentary? might be interesting to some, especially to those who have experienced sleep paralysis and/or high strangeness.
Trailer here:

_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoPsjWqvwT4

I suppose that for those here who are familiar with the material, it's not frightening, but just in case it provokes emotional uneasiness (especially for the "OMG I've experienced that too" moments), don't watch it right before going to sleep :)
It's an interview of eight different people about their different experiences, which, without spoiling the stories, may have different causes, internal and/or external.

goody, this looks promising, I have had several experiences of this kind myself... :cool2:

Xico said:
goody, this looks promising, I have had several experiences of this kind myself... :cool2:

Me Too and a few of my family members, I'll bookmark it and watch it when I have time thanks mkrnhr

There is also one video on youtube about shadow people I watched a while ago that has interviews with some people who experienced it and some video and photo compilations about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbcccff1JuA

Thanks for the recommendation, mkrnhr. It was a very interesting and well made documentary.

Like you mentioned, some of the interviewees experiences could be of internal, some of external origin. Knowing about high strangeness, abductions, etc., it looks likely that some of the mentioned experiences probably originate from "outside". For example, this guy's story was pretty creepy:

_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Dor_PFikY

Extremely horrifying experiences, and one can only imagine the level of terror they must produce in the subjects. Interestingly, one of the interviewees told of realizing, how she thinks the entities generate fear to feed on it (while watching I remembered the Gorman family's story about the blue orbs in "Hunt for the Skinwalker"). Familiar stuff to people here.

It was also interesting to hear another interviewee's realization, how the entities are "elemental", and ultimately not to be feared.

Hi guys,

I read a book about out of body experiences and sleep paralysis was mentioned a couple of time.

The author said that the paralysis may occur when you are into the first or second deep sleep cycles (when the nervous system recover) and that you have micro wake up. His tip is that you should not try to move big muscles group because your body is just out of commission and that you should try to move your little finger instead. Once it start moving, the whole body and nervous system will reconnect...

I never experienced sleep paralysis and I cannot prove anything above, but maybe someone here with the condition may give it a try and valid this tip.

Also, it was said to be a good indicator for experiencing out of body experience...

I thought a particular interesting aspect of the movie was that there were 2 examples of shared experiences.

In one example, there was a man and woman sleeping side by side. The man frequently had the sleep paralysis experience and I don't think the woman ever had it. If I remember correctly, the man in his sleep saw a black shadow humanoid figure with red eyes saying in a creepy voice that the man was going to die, and then the man woke up from the woman screaming. The woman said that she saw a black cat with red eyes sitting on her chest and that the cat was talking at the man in a creepy and unintelligible voice. With the red eyes, the man concluded that the cat the woman saw was the same as the figure he saw.

In the other example, a different man and woman were apparently awake in a forest. They had made a circle with stones and were standing inside the circle. The man frequently had the sleep paralysis experience. The film reenactment showed the woman standing and covering her eyes with her arms and happy that a blue shadow humanoid figure was approaching them. The man saw the blue figure but didn't hear it. The blue figure was apparently communicating with the woman through telepathy, so the woman said to the man that the blue figure said don't be afraid of what is behind you. The man turned around and saw the same two black static shadow humanoid figures that frequently attacked him in his sleep.

Another aspect I found interesting was that one woman claimed she completely stopped the sleep attacks by invoking Jesus to the last attacker, even though she claims she was not religious and did not believe in Jesus at the time of that last attack. However, at the time of the filming of the movie, she was a devout believer.

hlat said:
The blue figure was apparently communicating with the woman through telepathy, so the woman said to the man that the blue figure said don't be afraid of what is behind you. The man turned around and saw the same two black static shadow humanoid figures that frequently attacked him in his sleep.

Another aspect I found interesting was that one woman claimed she completely stopped the sleep attacks by invoking Jesus to the last attacker, even though she claims she was not religious and did not believe in Jesus at the time of that last attack. However, at the time of the filming of the movie, she was a devout believer.

I saw this documentary last year and :shock: definitely agree with mkrhnr not to watch this at night. For those that have experienced sleep paralysis and night terrors in the past, it is very frightening when it happens - although the experiences I had weren't as detailed as the ones discussed in the documentary. Although my mom had told me of some of her experiences, and those matched very close to the dark shadowy figures, although she described it as having a beak like a bird and would have conversations with it, or so she says. Some of what she has told me also sounds like abduction scenario type stuff, travelling to other planets, and being visited by people, which some of the people in the documentary described, including the example you brought up of the blue figure. But yeah, two things that probably do help is 1) try to reduce your fear or at least stay calm, and if you can't, try and get angry 2) calling on a higher power for help. Changing diet helps a lot too. Some of the people in the documentary seemed afraid of their own shadow, and how much of that could be reduced if they weren't eating inflammatory foods that weren't affecting their brain chemistry and nervous system as much. It's not a sure fire solution, but I sometimes wonder what makes people susceptible to these experiences and others not. Genetic profile, some sort of misfiring in the brain, emotional traumas, mental illness, MTHFR mutations...? But I noticed how night terrors reduced a lot after switching to Paleo/Keto.

I will try to catch this movie as I have a small theory.

David Jacobs in his interview with sott radio, seems to see how a lot of times when people fight back - the abductions stop and don't reoccur. Laura also found this in a session with the C's, asking why she was abducted less- they said she fought back.

I can't see how Jesus or what not is proper defense against these so called higher level abductors. You would think those who created the fake hero would be immune to it, lol.

So, could these abductions be so by a self-reinforcing placebo effect of helplessness or in paralysis- fear of not being able to fight? Not being ready to "fight or flight" would deal a huge blow to the survival mechanism and possibly like trauma, create a "story"?

We know that Voodoo and other curses work by belief and seeing[the curse put on you]. What if our own subconscious sabotages us... much like the warning Don Juan spoke of about the predator's mind. I see it as a feedback loop, a tiny sound repeated so many times with a microphone and speaker can be louder that a normal sound!

I'll just speak of my worst paralysis terror as a child. One time I was deliriously sick with the Flu, I could barely move. I woke up too quickly and couldn't move, feeling like there was an invisible weight on me. I paniced and screamed for my mother. As soon as she was there, I was ok. I didn't recall any shadows, but I was never afraid of the dark. Sleeping wasn't a problem for me, besides the noise- living around a big city, sometimes with inconsiderate neighbors.

My sister however, always needed a night light in her room. She mentioned seeing shadows, monsters and all that.
A night light we found in other forums, causes problems with sleep and it could explain the shadows.
Ironically, she never had a problem with the noise- no matter how loud it was outside.

Divide By Zero said:
So, could these abductions be so by a self-reinforcing placebo effect of helplessness or in paralysis- fear of not being able to fight? Not being ready to "fight or flight" would deal a huge blow to the survival mechanism and possibly like trauma, create a "story"?

I mentioned the shared experiences that are in this film, and you may find them interesting. I think those shared experiences indicate there is a more complex phenomena or mechanism at work than just the mental state or experience of one individual.

Divide By Zero said:
I can't see how Jesus or what not is proper defense against these so called higher level abductors. You would think those who created the fake hero would be immune to it, lol.

Laura had success in exorcisms by invoking Jesus, so there's some kind of power in good intent.

I saw it before sleep. Why? Because it's my own experiment on belief and superstition.
If Jesus saves you or you think he's special, Jesus works to save you then and so on.

I can see that there is a huge autosuggestion aspect in these 2 examples. Nothing seems solid, of course.

The guy whose girlfriend got sleep paralysis started to have it after she described it to him. We see a common theme there, like it's some kind of infection. But if you were terrified and your partner believed what you saw was real based on your reaction, wouldn't that be a form of empathy- feeling and "seeing" what they see?

The woman who saw that cat on her partner's chest knew of his problem and heard him struggling at the night. What's odd is that it was an after the fact confirmation. She said red eyes, and then he says yes, mine had red eyes. The mind can and does fill in the blanks of memories.

Sometimes it can be from inner shame, guilt, or PTSD. These cases below remind me of what happened to my girlfriend's roomate- the voices/ghosts she saw/heard were always talking about bad things she's done. To stop them, she got into an OCD of cleanliness... another interesting aspect of shame of self. It lead to my girlfriend having to move out, as she would blame her for dirty dishes that she herself put in the sink!! That's how powerful the brain is!

-One of the women was sexually abused and says that does affect her.

-One of the guys who went back to his old house in Vermont, says it came to him as a man telling him that he did nasty sexual things.

What bugs me is the internal bias. I'm not doubting what they have seen, they aren't liars. But how can they determine what is real?

It was interesting when the other woman (not the abused one) said that it could be internal as we have no clue how dreaming would come if we were aware and "awake".

They also mentioned how the images were common around the world. That could be assumed to mean that it is really a single group of entities. It also can mean that the brain sees common shapes, due to our environment, and cultural stories. Shadows look like men, a red night light comes up as a huge red light in the room- and so on. Sounds like hallucination.
They even mentioned how the Freddy Cruger story based on it, served to multiply the idea.

I'm open to the idea that it is really "men in black" or aliens. But to start with that assumption is dangerous and a feedback loop. I point to the case of my gf's roomate who believes in ghosts, and thus- the voices must be ghosts. Never mind they were telling her things that she looked down on herself already. It's kind of annoying actually. If I had some higher entity telling me that stuff, I'd be pissed as hell because where is my right to tell them to shut the heck up, haha! And again, abductions stop when we fight. Is it against a part of our brain that is the predator? Could be that part links us to "4d sts". Just an idea.

Why not go with the simple explanation, Occam's Razor? That would be that a dreamlike state while awake could be self confirming a reality that isn't there. A waking nightmare so to say.

I saw it before sleep. Why? Because it's my own experiment on belief and superstition.
If Jesus saves you or you think he's special, Jesus works to save you then and so on.

I can see that there is a huge autosuggestion aspect in these 2 examples. Nothing seems solid, of course.

The guy whose girlfriend got sleep paralysis started to have it after she described it to him. We see a common theme there, like it's some kind of infection. But if you were terrified and your partner believed what you saw was real based on your reaction, wouldn't that be a form of empathy- feeling and "seeing" what they see?

The woman who saw that cat on her partner's chest knew of his problem and heard him struggling at the night. What's odd is that it was an after the fact confirmation. She said red eyes, and then he says yes, mine had red eyes. The mind can and does fill in the blanks of memories.

Sometimes it can be from inner shame, guilt, or PTSD. These cases below remind me of what happened to my girlfriend's roomate- the voices/ghosts she saw/heard were always talking about bad things she's done. To stop them, she got into an OCD of cleanliness... another interesting aspect of shame of self. It lead to my girlfriend having to move out, as she would blame her for dirty dishes that she herself put in the sink!! That's how powerful the brain is!

-One of the women was sexually abused and says that does affect her.

-One of the guys who went back to his old house in Vermont, says it came to him as a man telling him that he did nasty sexual things.

What bugs me is the internal bias. I'm not doubting what they have seen, they aren't liars. But how can they determine what is real?

It was interesting when the other woman (not the abused one) said that it could be internal as we have no clue how dreaming would come if we were aware and "awake".

They also mentioned how the images were common around the world. That could be assumed to mean that it is really a single group of entities. It also can mean that the brain sees common shapes, due to our environment, and cultural stories. Shadows look like men, a red night light comes up as a huge red light in the room- and so on. Sounds like hallucination.
They even mentioned how the Freddy Cruger story based on it, served to multiply the idea.

I'm open to the idea that it is really "men in black" or aliens. But to start with that assumption is dangerous and a feedback loop. I point to the case of my gf's roomate who believes in ghosts, and thus- the voices must be ghosts. Never mind they were telling her things that she looked down on herself already. It's kind of annoying actually. If I had some higher entity telling me that stuff, I'd be pissed as hell because where is my right to tell them to shut the heck up, haha! And again, abductions stop when we fight. Is it against a part of our brain that is the predator? Could be that part links us to "4d sts". Just an idea.

Why not go with the simple explanation, Occam's Razor? That would be that a dreamlike state while awake could be self confirming a reality that isn't there. A waking nightmare so to say.

If we take into mind this article and what happens in survival situations- what says this state is not similar to those states described?
https://www.sott.net/article/292451-Third-Man-Factor-The-hallucinatory-effects-of-survival

When I think of the C's saying knowledge protects, it includes that we should be careful to determine what exactly is objective and if not fully objective- why do we consider it truth. Maybe that is the ultimate meditation- without isolation of thought or physical environment- the meditation of life?

I must say that this happened once(as long as I remember) to me, probably more than a half a year ago I think.

I was sleeping in my bedroom on right side of my body looking straightly at the door(distance of 1,5 meters between me and room door). There was also dim neon light coming from my brother's room (there is really thick small glass between his and my room at the upper left corner of the wall) so I could see objects in my room clearly enough to distinguish what is what.

Then came the interesting stuff, I just suddenly woke up and couldn't move myself, whole body paralysis...
At the left side of my freezed vision I saw a humanoid black figure standing there at the distance of 1 meter just staring at me (there were no eyes but I knew he was staring at me).
Then after few seconds passed, he threw something, some kind of black ball or black shoe in direction parallel to me towards wall, not at me (at first I interpreted it as shoe because it looked like he kicked it with his leg and it also came from him, like it was part of him that he is throwing).

At first I was thinking: "Ohhhh, what is this, i cannot move myself.." (tried to move hands and legs), then i figured out that humanoid shadow creature at my left and thought: "Look, this guy looks like shadow figure" with little fear but more confusion about whole situation because it never happened to me...

Interestingly I continued to watch what he is doing with confusion and 'what is going and here and who is this m*f* on the left?' impression, and then he threw that something and I got angry because I couldn't move myself and then...furious actually. When I got furious and said in myself that I will not give anything to this "m*f*", I was then able to resist paralysis, body came back and I jumped from bed to the same place he stood with thought: "Nobody will take my energy" (I wanted to do that while i was in paralysis but couldn't because i was confused and not angry or furious).

He disappeared when i regained control over my body and jumped on place he was standing.

I don't know if he was trying to take energy or induce fear or whatever(or even what this phenomenon is really about), but being furious/angry plus thought of "Nobody will take my energy", certainly helped. So it looks like you need to fight back always!

I have to say that there was another incident some time before upper event, but it was a dream...I was alone in biggest room in my weekend house, which had no other things in it or 90% empty. Everything was around was grey/black/white and i was standing in the center of the room. Suddenly an orthodox priest in his modified hood entered the room (I couldn't see his face, he looked at floor), and starts going in circles around me chanting something on some foreign language and blessing the place with incense.

I was just looking at him walking in circles around me and I sensed something wrong about all that...everything was gray and somehow like straight from the horror movie. I couldn't see his face all the time while he was walking around me.

Anyway, he suddenly turned to me after some time of walking and his face was just a skull(but somehow not ordinary skull, more like modified to look more scary or something :huh:) with no flesh, his hands turned to bones and i realized he was skeleton under the hood.
But then the crazy part happened...after he turned and i realized he is pure 'skull and bones' my whole 'visual screen' in the dream got occupied only with his skull covered in hood looking straight to my eyes (like he is 20cm in front of me) and my whole let's say 'vision display/screen' started changing colors from gray to black to white to purple to gray etc.(but only with these 4 colors in weird hypnotic patterns)....interestingly enough that's not the end, while i was watching him in the eyes and while colors were changing I felt that he was somehow bending me, bending my perception, like pulling me somehow...like black hole eating everything around and 'bending' nearby objects. But that 'bending' was mostly felt, with mind and body...very creepy feeling, like something is pulling you and you cannot get away. Very nasty feeling, like you are losing yourself...like a black hole eating you!

Interestingly enough I also got furious and thought something like "HOW MUCH BENDING???" and woke up...

Whatever it is, fighting and not being in fear is probably the best way to overcome these situations...

used to have sleep paralysis alot, then started to turn off wifi before sleep - haven't had a single case since :)

Back
Top Bottom