London Westminster attack: man shot by police and several hurt

Ant22

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Apparently there was an attack in Westminster, London, around an hour ago and it is being labeled a sa terrorist one. Here are more details:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/22/westminster-attack-man-shot-by-police-and-several-hurt-in-nearby-incident

Westminster attack: man shot by police and several hurt in 'terrorist incident'

A policeman has been stabbed and his apparent attacker shot by officers at the Houses of Parliament in an incident that the Met is treating as terrorism.

The Commons leader, David Lidington, told MPs that a “police officer has been stabbed” and the “alleged assailant was shot by armed police” following a “serious” incident within the parliamentary estate.

Scotland Yard said police had been called to a firearms incident on Westminster Bridge amid reports of several people injured.

Lidington said: “There are also reports of further violent incidents in the vicinity of the Palace of Westminster but I hope colleagues on all sides will appreciate that it would be wrong of me to go into further details until we have confirmation from the police and from the house security authorities about what is going on.”

Pictures emerged after the incident showing multiple people injured, lying on the ground on the left and right hand side of Westminster bridge. Images showed several people on the ground, bleeding on the bridge that leads towards the Houses of Parliament. At least two women and two men were among those injured. One picture appeared to show a women underneath a London bus.

It is understood Scotland Yard’s counter-terrorism command is involved in the investigation. Plans for a London-wide emergency have been put into place as a precaution, but police are hopeful the incidents are over.

Two people were seen to be lying within Old Palace Yard, immediately outside Westminster Hall. The sitting in the House of Commons was suspended while police officers sealed off the area around the incident. Staff inside parliament were told to stay inside their offices.

Minutes after the incident, an emergency services helicopter landed in Parliament Square, as sirens were heard outside. Air ambulance medics came from the helicopter to assist the casualties.

Immediately before the incident, at around 2.45pm, people were seen running from the direction of Westminster Bridge and around the corner into Parliament Square.

A Downing Street source confirmed that the prime minister, Theresa May, was “OK”. May was seen being ushered into a silver Jaguar car as what sounded like gunfire rang out at parliament during the incident at around 2.45pm.

More details soon . . .

Just saw this and the first thing in my head was Brexit.

It's also curious that it took place exactly one year after the Brussels attacks. :scared:
It's always curious when they spin the thing immediately as a terror attack. In the past there have been events of people getting ran over and attacked and do not receive the consideration of terrorism. So now, whenever they use that I become suspicious.

I also found it curious that Theresa May got evacuated yet every other member of parliament was locked inside the building.

Another curious thing here that reminds us of previous attacks is the fact that initial reports have "one or more suspects" which eventually dies down to the single crazy one.

So far it is spread via the Guardian and more details are needed, because of different storied being told.

Not long ago a warning happened in London too (source are in German):

Bomb threat: London bridge evacuated

And a knife attack in Wolverhampton in Great Britain, where some people got killed and injured.

RT Live
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bk1893WYIY

2016 Brussels bombings
_https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Brussels_bombings
On the morning of March 22, 2016, three coordinated suicide bombings occurred in Belgium: two at Brussels Airport in Zaventem, and one at Maalbeek metro station in central Brussels. Wikipedia
Date: March 22, 2016
Perpetrator: Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant
Total number of deaths: 35 (32 victims, 3 perpetrators)

Gawan said:
So far it is spread via the Guardian and more details are needed, because of different storied being told.

And a knife attack in Wolverhampton in Great Britain, where some people got killed and injured.

I agree Guardian isn't the most credible source, I chose it because its report overlapped largely with other sources I looked at. Here's an article from RT about it that consists of updates on the development of the situation:

https://www.rt.com/uk/381782-london-westminster-lockdown-parliament/
Parliament on lockdown: Westminster attack as it develops

The area around Westminster in London is on lockdown after at least one attacker in a car mowed into several people near the British parliament, leaving several injured. Reports from the scene say an attacker with a knife was shot by police.

And another one: https://www.rt.com/uk/381771-gunfire-loud-bangs-parliament/

Police shoot knife attacker outside UK parliament, people rammed with car:

A knife attacker has been shot after a car mowed down pedestrians on Westminster Bridge and charged the gates of parliament, in what police are treating as a terrorist incident.

What we know:

* Police are treating the incident as terrorism
* A woman is dead and others have "catastrophic" injuries
* Several people have been injured after a car reportedly mounted the pavement on Westminster Bridge and "tried to mow people down"
* A police officer was stabbed inside Parliament grounds. The officer's condition is not known
* Alleged assailant shot by armed police

A woman has died and a number of others have been hurt, including some with "catastrophic" injuries in the incident on Westminster Bridge, St Thomas' Hospital junior doctor Colleen Anderson told reporters.

“I confirmed one fatality. A woman. She was under the wheel of a bus. She died, confirmed her death at the scene.”

“There were people across the bridge. There were some with minor injuries, some catastrophic. Some had injuries they could walk away from or who have life-changing injuries.

“There were maybe a dozen (injured).”
(...)

Alejo said:
(...)
It's always curious when they spin the thing immediately as a terror attack. In the past there have been events of people getting ran over and attacked and do not receive the consideration of terrorism. So now, whenever they use that I become suspicious.
(...)

Yeah, my colleagues have been watching live updates all afternoon and a lot of these sources are mentioning the attacker(s) being of Asian background. :rolleyes:

Westminster attack: Skynews
The Acting Commissioner Craig Mackey is being treated as a significant witness as he was at the scene when the incident started. Whilst he is not injured, it would be inappropriate for him to talk about the incident at this stage. Ours and his thoughts are with all those involved and those responding to both incidents.
_https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/uk-world/392331/parliament-attack-metropolitan-police-describe-events-unfolded/

Metropolitan Police Deputy Commissioner - Craig Mackey QPM - Congratulates work of Shomrim
Published on Jun 17, 2015
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=horGTmla_hI

The Courier
_https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/uk-world/392331/parliament-attack-metropolitan-police-describe-events-unfolded/
_http://e3.365dm.com/17/03/750x563/859a87252e7d88048a22a2c09de9e680d3564a86937b0111057d922d0a609350_3914848.jpg?20170322175159
The Westminster attacker being tended by medics

Gawan said:

FWIW the knife attack in Wolverhampton was reportedly a man that killed his sister and attacked his mother, rather than a terror scare. http://www.expressandstar.com/news/crime/2017/03/08/wolverhampton-stabbing-two-dead-woman-critically-injured-and-officer-taken-to-hospital-after-police-storm-flat-pictures/

Added: here's an RT article that mentions the link between the date of the event and the Brussels bombings: London ‘terrorist incident’ comes on 1st anniversary of Brussels bombings

Russia Calls for Joint Measures to Fight Terrorism After London Attack

https://sputniknews.com/politics/201703221051855308-russia-terrorism-fight/

Joint measures are required to fight terrorism, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said Wednesday after a terrorist attack near the parliament building in London.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Two persons reportedly died and several people, including a police officer, were injured in two incidents in London, which occurred on Westminster Bridge and the territory adjacent to the parliament building. Earlier reports said that Scotland Yard is considering the incident as a terrorist attack.

"Today, no place... is protected against international terrorism… Collective action is needed to counter this evil, it is necessary to focus efforts not on seeking imaginary threats, not on increasing the budget to counter nonexistent challenges, it is necessary to concentrate and combine the efforts of the entire international community to counter real threats," Zakharova said on Rossiya 24 television channel.

The London Metropolitan Police have confirmed several casualties, including law enforcers, in the attack. Events near London's parliament building have been declared a terrorist incident.

The Scottish parliament has suspended debates on the independence referendum amid the London attack.

Ant22 said:

Joint measures are required to fight terrorism, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said Wednesday after a terrorist attack near the parliament building in London.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Two persons reportedly died and several people, including a police officer, were injured in two incidents in London, which occurred on Westminster Bridge and the territory adjacent to the parliament building. Earlier reports said that Scotland Yard is considering the incident as a terrorist attack.

"Today, no place... is protected against international terrorism… Collective action is needed to counter this evil, it is necessary to focus efforts not on seeking imaginary threats, not on increasing the budget to counter nonexistent challenges, it is necessary to concentrate and combine the efforts of the entire international community to counter real threats," Zakharova said on Rossiya 24 television channel.

The London Metropolitan Police have confirmed several casualties, including law enforcers, in the attack. Events near London's parliament building have been declared a terrorist incident.

The Scottish parliament has suspended debates on the independence referendum amid the London attack.
I'm wondering if there is any connection between the attack and that the U.K. was about to start ‘Brexit’ on March 29 by Invoking Article 50. I imagine that process will now be put on ice along with the talks on the Scottish referendum.

I don't want it to sound insensitive, but based on the scale of the attack seems to me more like an operation designed to divert attention from the two above mentioned main political issues in the UK. This is my speculation based on first impressions, we'll have to wait for further details and the impact of this event.

rylek said:
Ant22 said:

I'm wondering if there is any connection between the attack and that the U.K. was about to start ‘Brexit’ on March 29 by Invoking Article 50. I imagine that process will now be put on ice along with the talks on the Scottish referendum.

I don't want it to sound insensitive, but based on the scale of the attack seems to me more like an operation designed to divert attention from the two above mentioned main political issues in the UK. This is my speculation based on first impressions, we'll have to wait for further details and the impact of this event.
Your probably right I know the Scottish parliament have suspended talks on a referendum as a result of the attacks. Another sad day and I'm sorry for all the victims. I wonder if we're going to go through another intense period of attacks across Europe.

Thebull said:
rylek said:
Ant22 said:

Your probably right I know the Scottish parliament have suspended talks on a referendum as a result of the attacks. Another sad day and I'm sorry for all the victims. I wonder if we're going to go through another intense period of attacks across Europe.

I agree, Jenn used the phrase "terror scare" above and in all honesty it should have been used in the title.

One of the articles quoted above says "May will shortly chair the emergency security Cabinet Office Briefing Room (COBR) meeting" and I won't be surprised at all if this 'incident' will be an excuse to delay evoking Article 50 / Scottish referendum talks.

And oh boy... here's a tweet of some clever head taking a selfie in front the the Westminster earlier today :shock:

https://twitter.com/bigplatealan/status/844588654295179265
C7i_U5_T_Xw_AEWQPw.jpg

Ant22 said:
I agree, Jenn used the phrase "terror scare" above and in all honesty it should have been used in the title.

One of the articles quoted above says "May will shortly chair the emergency security Cabinet Office Briefing Room (COBR) meeting" and I won't be surprised at all if this 'incident' will be an excuse to delay evoking Article 50 / Scottish referendum talks.
Each time one of these incidents happens they always label them as terror attacks to panic the masses and flick the paranoia switch.
I saw a headline today after the attack had happened which said something along the lines of "the London attack is reportedly a terror attack until further notice" I can't remember the news agency or exactly what was said, but you can imagine how people may've been feeling when they saw this.

There was also this story http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/22/hero-mp-parliament-terror-attack-tobias-ellwood-battled-save/ which was quite sadly captured in photos:

The Tory MP attempted mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and applied pressure on the wounds to stem the blood flow to keep him alive.

Mr Ellwood, a former soldier himself, attended the victim as he awaited medical staff and an air ambulance to arrive in Parliament Square. He was later seen with bloodied hands talking to police officers near the scene before going back to the Foreign Office.
There were reports last night that Mr Ellwood "ran in [the] opposite direction to everyone else, he ran towards the injured police officer".

Photographs later emerged of Mr Ellwood, dressed in a blue suit, helping medical staff and policemen treat the officer, who later died.

Thebull said:

Yeah, not sure it'll derail the Brexit talks though, but it's also interesting that French students were injured in the attack today in London. I wouldn't be surprised to see a string of such attacks, including in France, in the run up to the French presidential elections. Such attacks would, of course, give Marine Le Pen a boost and possibly shunt her into the Elysee.

Back
Top Bottom