Oliver Stones "The Putin Interviews": Historic Documentary about Putin

Pashalis said:
In regards to why Stone doesn't mention 9/11, I think it is quite obvious that this would make it very hard for him to even create such movies, let alone spread it as far as he can now. The same goes for Putin. I'm pretty sure he and his team know what happened there, but at this point it is not wise to go there, considering his commitment to his country. Having said that, I don't think it is impossible that they eventually will leak sensible material about it, if the craziness continues. If that leak would make any difference now, is the other question. Most people seem to have forgotten that 9/11 connection and wouldn't really care I think, or make the connection to today, sadly as it is.
I wouldn't get offended by this statement. It was essentially a joke and he tried to soften it afterwards for his american counterpart and the western viewers I guess. Russians are quite blunt generally and what usually offends a westener isn't viewed as such a big deal in this country. And of course, as such a statesman of russia you have to present a certain image of "manliness". I'm sure there will be quite a number of people who will use that statment to make Putin look like "a man that puts woman down" while nothing of that sort is actually happening and it is actually happining in the west by objectifying woman.

Putin knows, so does Stone I would bet.

And i have agree about the dumbed downed US population.

But Dr Judy Woods is posting on facebook (as of June 6 2017). And with 11, 000 plus interested souls, of finding the truth, and hopefully connecting the dots.

Dr Judy Woods
https://www.facebook.com/drjudywood/

https://youtu.be/p16WzrihsTg

https://youtu.be/E_UfnBSNAuk

https://youtu.be/1OncBdtnPMU

Where Did the Towers Go? Implications of the Forensic Study and Its Cover Up
Jun 5, 2017

https://youtu.be/N6_aQQLYNw8

Saw the first two parts of The Putin Interviews so far and loved it. Such a breath of fresh air from all of the deliberately misconstrued U.S. news and propaganda. I thought Oliver Stone asked a lot of excellent questions, and that he didn't try to direct the discussion in any particular direction of bias, but simply allowed Putin to speak openly. I loved that it also gave us a glimpse into who Putin is as a person rather than simply a world leader.

The 'interview' of Stone by Stephen Colbert seriously pissed me off - it was so disrespectful, especially using the audience to pretty much laugh at him. Stone obviously has a great deal of patience, 'cause I'm sure a lot of people would have simply told Colbert off and walked off the set if they were treated that way.

When it comes to his joke it does not matter what he said and how he said it, people in the west will believe what they want to believe, just shows how some people take themselves serious enough, and in the end I think he and his people do not really care what people in the west think about it.

Heather said:
Well, however you want to view Putin's comment -- and I can assure you, it won't help Stone's greater cause, and I'm surprised he didn't edit that segment -- Putin himself seemed to regret it. It exposed a moment of, if not insecurity, then indecision.

Well, perhaps it has to do with differences in mentality, but to me it didn't look like Putin regretted it, or was insecure or indecisive in any way. It's possible that what he said could offend some American or European women. But perhaps some people (including women) would agree with him too. Bottom line is, he is Russian president, and therefore he should know how to approach Russian people above all. And for Russians it doesn't sound as blunt or disrespectful. More like "stating the things as they really are". Sure, the film intended for the Western public, but even so - the idea was to present Putin and his position (or Russia's position for that matter) in an honest or revealing way possible. Besides, knowing Putin, there was nothing coincidental in anything he said. ;)

Keit said:
Heather said:
Well, however you want to view Putin's comment -- and I can assure you, it won't help Stone's greater cause, and I'm surprised he didn't edit that segment -- Putin himself seemed to regret it. It exposed a moment of, if not insecurity, then indecision.

Well, perhaps it has to do with differences in mentality, but to me it didn't look like Putin regretted it, or was insecure or indecisive in any way. It's possible that what he said could offend some American or European women. But perhaps some people (including women) would agree with him too. Bottom line is, he is Russian president, and therefore he should know how to approach Russian people above all. And for Russians it doesn't sound as blunt or disrespectful. More like "stating the things as they really are". Sure, the film intended for the Western public, but even so - the idea was to present Putin and his position (or Russia's position for that matter) in an honest or revealing way possible. Besides, knowing Putin, there was nothing coincidental in anything he said. ;)

Hi Keit.

Well, to me, his having to explain what he meant -- when he referred to women's cycles, etc. -- was a kind of back pedaling and/or justification. He was on the defensive, in other words. That's not a particularly comfortable position to be in.

Also, that particular exchange seemed the only truly awkward moment of its kind -- of the whole four episodes. There certainly was increased tension, when Putin discussed Ukraine or Syria, for example. But that was in keeping with the subjects at hand, and Putin's understandable frustration concerning U.S. policy, etc. But, certainly, none of that was "awkward."

Anyway, the "bad day" comment was something I brought up in passing, along with a lot of other subjects in my first post on this topic. The fact that it was picked up on and debated might be telling in some ways, as it seems to have warranted further discussion. But, in any event, it's healthy to take things apart and analyze -- most especially given we have different viewpoints.

Heather said:
Also, that particular exchange seemed the only truly awkward moment of its kind -- of the whole four episodes. There certainly was increased tension, when Putin discussed Ukraine or Syria, for example. But that was in keeping with the subjects at hand, and Putin's understandable frustration concerning U.S. policy, etc. But, certainly, none of that was "awkward."

Anyway, the "bad day" comment was something I brought up in passing, along with a lot of other subjects in my first post on this topic. The fact that it was picked up on and debated might be telling in some ways, as it seems to have warranted further discussion. But, in any event, it's healthy to take things apart and analyze -- most especially given we have different viewpoints.

I think the only reason it is perceived by some to be awkward is that Stone too perceived it as awkward. And the reason for that is simply that Putin said something that isn't politically correct. Putin could tell he "triggered" Stone, and by extension, would trigger some Westerners (Stone basically said just that), so he clarified in a polite and somewhat fatherly but patronizing way, "Well, you see, women have this thing called PMS..."

For me it just suggested that for Putin, being masculine and a "real man" means you are always self-controlled. I can imagine Gurdjieff saying something similar, but perhaps even more inflammatory.

Approaching Infinity said:
Heather said:

I think the only reason it is perceived by some to be awkward is that Stone too perceived it as awkward. And the reason for that is simply that Putin said something that isn't politically correct. Putin could tell he "triggered" Stone, and by extension, would trigger some Westerners (Stone basically said just that), so he clarified in a polite and somewhat fatherly but patronizing way, "Well, you see, women have this thing called PMS..."

For me it just suggested that for Putin, being masculine and a "real man" means you are always self-controlled. I can imagine Gurdjieff saying something similar, but perhaps even more inflammatory.

Hi Approaching Infinity.

I agree that Stone felt awkward, and that likely affected Putin, and had him qualifying what he meant. Still, my sense is that Putin regretted it as he was doing so.

It's not necessarily a matter of prejudice or viewpoint, in this instance, it's that you don't want to open certain "cans of worms" unnecessarily, and that's what Putin may have regretted. On the other hand, I'm not so sure Putin truly thinks pointing out women's obvious biological differences is such a manly approach to begin with.

As for being a Russian, it's a Russian cliche, after all -- the strong Bolshevik woman capable of doing what a man can. There's even a recent film -- I will have to look up the title -- about an extraordinary female Russian sharpshooter whom Eleanor Roosevelt befriended.

Yes, Russia is a more "conventional" society, but not one that underestimates the capabilities of its women.

Heather said:
It's not necessarily a matter of prejudice or viewpoint, in this instance, it's that you don't want to open certain "cans of worms" unnecessarily, and that's what Putin may have regretted.

Yeah, I agree with that. Just goes to show that someone in his position has to be very careful about what he says, because the response to an offhand comment can be blown way out of proportion.

As for being a Russian, it's a Russian cliche, after all -- the strong Bolshevik woman capable of doing what a man can. There's even a recent film -- I will have to look up the title -- about an extraordinary female Russian sharpshooter whom Eleanor Roosevelt befriended.

Yes, Russia is a more "conventional" society, but not one that underestimates the capabilities of its women.

Having "bad days" and having exemplary capabilities aren't mutually exclusive. And I'm pretty sure Putin would agree, since I've heard him say very nice things about Russian women (and women in general!).

Pashalis said:
In regards to why Stone doesn't mention 9/11, I think it is quite obvious that this would make it very hard for him to even create such movies, let alone spread it as far as he can now. The same goes for Putin. I'm pretty sure he and his team know what happened there, but at this point it is not wise to go there, considering his commitment to his country. Having said that, I don't think it is impossible that they eventually will leak sensible material about it, if the craziness continues. If that leak would make any difference now, is the other question. Most people seem to have forgotten that 9/11 connection and wouldn't really care I think, or make the connection to today, sadly as it is.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]That is why I feel like there's no way for truth to win against psychopathic governments. As long as the good guys play chess and wait, they have already lost their chance to influence the masses with truth. You can't hold onto your ACE card in your hand and expect to use it when the other guy already stacked his deck. I'm not happy that other countries waited... in all honesty it is naive to think that you can win this battle based on traditional rules. Using the 9/11 card early might bring backlash, but what's the difference when they didn't use it- still got demonized? There's the advice of dealing with bullies by challenging them- not by avoiding them , call their bluff by showing that you aren't afraid of being dirty like they are. Show that you refuse to let them get away with their manipulation. It doesn't mean you will be dirty, but you let them see that you aren't beatable like the majority who have a weakness of sticking to "societal rules" or "fair game". If the game was started by lies, you can't expect that truth and respect will work to stop it.

[/font]
Pashalis said:

And another fake news "journalist" interviewing Stone about the movie:

Argh this guy needs a kick to a special area.
Why doesn't Stone say that all media is propaganda of their respective countries and the truth is somewhere in between?

It would also have been funny if he said that he isn't doing it for propaganda but to find the truth which is elusive these days.

Anyway, he's similar to Putin in biting his tongue, but I'd like to see more fire :)

I watched all 4 episodes, and I highly recommend it. I had plenty of respect for the guy, but having this window into his life and his thoughts- well just wow. Kudos to Stone for making this, and what a priveledge! It would be an honour just to shake Putin's hand, let alone be able to visit him in his residence and office and be able to have hours of dialogue with him. I wonder what footage didn't make the cut and what may have been discussed when the cameras weren't rolling (eg 9/11 maybe)? For me the most poignant part was when Stone asks, "Is there hope?" To which Putin replies, "There is always hope."

[quote author= PhoenixToEmber]The 'interview' of Stone by Stephen Colbert seriously pissed me off - it was so disrespectful, especially using the audience to pretty much laugh at him. Stone obviously has a great deal of patience, 'cause I'm sure a lot of people would have simply told Colbert off and walked off the set if they were treated that way.[/quote]

'Comedians' such as Colbert are willing to make fun of everyone and everything if it serves them. But he never as far that I know ever made a joke about himself. And that's I think quite telling, it's just the sheer arrogance that he projects, that seem to resonate with his viewers, so they laugh, and that's what makes it appear entertaining.

But if he had an critical informed and empathetic audience, he would have been unemployed.

Here is a good example of that, if the audience doesn't laugh about his 'jokes.' He scolds them.

https://youtu.be/lxe3mVjq1_Q

In France, the first two parts will be broadcast on June 3 on "France 3" channel in the first part of the evening, "followed by a debate" with the director. The 3rd and 4th parts will pass in the second part of the evening, June 28th and 29th.
I look forward...

Heaalih said:
In France, the first two parts will be broadcast on June 3 on "France 3" channel in the first part of the evening, "followed by a debate" with the director. The 3rd and 4th parts will pass in the second part of the evening, June 28th and 29th.
I look forward...

Good that you mention it. I recently discovered as well that it will air in a couple of other countries on TV, like in france and germany for example. Another good reason to share those language versions to other people in the country. It will air on 3. of August in germany here. Unfortunately in the german case it is a private TV network which you have to pay for, so probably not many people will even get aware of it. As soon as it is out and I can get a hold of a copy, I'll try to share it far and wide in germany. Maybe that helps.

I didn't think it would be aired here in Australia considering how the media here love to demonise Putin and paint him as an evil tyrant, but it is! Parts 1 & 2 were aired on SBS at 8:30pm & 9:30pm Sunday June 18, parts 3 & 4 are being aired today Sunday 25th June for those Aussies who haven't been able to watch it online.

A quick scan of articles on the series in the Aussie media are exactly as I guessed- this time they demonise both Putin and Stone. Ugh, it disgusts me no end what passes for journalism in this country.

Keit said:
Heather said:

I laughed out loud when Putin made that comment and I am a Western woman AND in menopause. But I thought his remark was funny and spot on. Women's natural cycles are (much) more up and down, especially when they are pregnant or menopausal and perhaps unaware of their mechanical nature? I think we in the West often feel offended over nothing and we have to toughen up a little. Just look at all those social justice warriors. Sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom