Author Topic: A powerful solar storm is headed toward us, bringing hazards and rare light show  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Laura

• Administrator
    • http://www.laura-knight-jadczyk.com

You know, considering the long-term quietness of the sun for awhile now, these recent flares etc are curious.  What is OUT there that is triggering them?
He who learns must suffer
And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget
Falls drop by drop upon the heart,
And in our own despair, against our will,
Comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.
Agamemnon, Aeschylus

Offline Andre'

• Jedi Council Member

You know, considering the long-term quietness of the sun for awhile now, these recent flares etc are curious.  What is OUT there that is triggering them?

I thought about the same thing, yes the Florence asteroid is one of the biggest space rocks in the last 20 years that passed closely to our planet, but what if that's not the whole banana? I feel that there is something else that triggered this violent reaction of our Sun, i mean in one week we had 4 mega solar eruptions, 2 of which were X - class CMEs one of them being the strongest in 12 years...
"Wise as Serpents, gentle as Doves, Knowledge protects, Ignorance endangers"- C's

"FORGET "I should", forget it all. Replace it by "I LOVE TO DO ...." and skip completely the TIME issue. If you need five lives to accomplish what you WANT, let this be the first of those five. And then, without any "time obligation" or "should stressing" - start it.  First step first. And ENJOY it. And LOVE yourself - take care of yourself.
This is the only thing that the Universe (God?) wants from you, I think. "  Arkadiusz Jadczyk

Offline Thebull

• Jedi Council Member

I thought about the same thing, yes the Florence asteroid is one of the biggest space rocks in the last 20 years that passed closely to our planet, but what if that's not the whole banana? I feel that there is something else that triggered this violent reaction of our Sun, i mean in one week we had 4 mega solar eruptions, 2 of which were X - class CMEs one of them being the strongest in 12 years...
Ive been thinking along these lines over the last week. Things are certainly lively to say the least. What's next I wonder.
Trying to do a little bit better day by day, one step at a time.

Offline Keit

• Ambassador
Ive been thinking along these lines over the last week. Things are certainly lively to say the least. What's next I wonder.

Not long ago I saw a curious news item about astronomers from the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy recalculating their estimations regarding neighboring stars straying into the Oort cloud and nudging comets from their path and into our Solar system. According to them, the estimations are higher than they thought, but as usual they were talking about the future and the span of millions years. I wonder why they never talk in terms of the event being already in progress.  :/ In any case, here's the paper that was published in August this year. At the time I thought that it was a curious timing, and perhaps it could be more than a coincidence.
I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship. ~ Louisa May Alcott

Online angelburst29

• The Living Force
The sun has exhibited strangely high levels of solar flare activity over the last few days as it reaches its solar minimum, the period in which the sun’s flare activity should be at its lowest.

Solar Enigma: Sun Displays Record High Activity When It Should Be at Its Lowest   (Videos)
https://sputniknews.com/science/201709131057340155-sun-strange-solar-activity-detected/

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory has noticed flare after powerful flare in the last week, including one on September 6 that was the most massive solar flare in over a decade. In total, seven flares have been spotted in the last week, two of which were nearly as impressive as the record-setter.

"The X9.3 flare was the largest flare so far in the current solar cycle, the approximately 11-year-cycle during which the sun's activity waxes and wanes," a NASA statement reads.

Offline c.a.

• The Living Force
Spaceweather.com
September 9 at 9:37pm ·

https://www.facebook.com/spaceweatherdotcom/photos/a.1673882029528848.1073741828.1669353783315006/1895221470728235/?type=3&theater
NORTHERN LIGHTS ...IN ARKANSAS:
During Friday's severe geomagnetic storm, auroras were seen in at least 18 US states including Alaska, Maine, Connecticut, New York, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Illinois, Minnesota, Delaware, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Iowa, Maryland, Virginia, Vermont, and South Dakota. Remarkably, Northern Lights descended as far south as Arkansas.

Brian Emfinger sends this picture from Morillton, AR.
"I set up my camera about an hour after sunset and immediately recognized some reddish aurora with some curtains,"
says Emfinger.
"From the first picture, the aurora was clearly fading and within 15 minutes was completely gone."

Spaceweather.com
19 hrs · 1-13-17

https://www.facebook.com/spaceweatherdotcom/photos/a.1673882029528848.1073741828.1669353783315006/1896231373960578/?type=3&theater
CME HITS, SPARKS MINOR GEOMAGNETIC STORM:
Arriving earlier than expected, the flank of a CME hit Earth's magnetic field on Sept. 12th (20:00 UT). The impact has sparked a minor G1-class geomagnetic storm. NOAA forecasters say the storm could intensify to G2-class on Sept. 13th. If so, auroras in the USA could appear as low as New York to Wisconsin to Washington state.

Spaceweather.com · September 7 ·

GEOMAGNETIC STORM UPDATE:
Earth's magnetic field is recovering from a jarring CME impact during the late hours of Sept. 7th (23:00 UT). First contact with the CME produced a severe G4-class geomagnetic storm and auroras in the USA as far south as Arkansas. That storm has subsided, but more storms are in the offing. The solar wind around our planet is blowing like a veritable gale (700+ km/s) as we move through the CME's wake. Isolated periods of mild to strong geomagnetic storming are likely on Sept. 8th and 9th
Photo: Auroras reflected from the calm waters of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, on Sept. 8, 2017. Credit: Chris Cook.

https://youtu.be/q-ZQBlWdlAY
Edit Add Current:
Current Space Weather Conditions
G2 Watch issued for 13 September; G1 Watch issued for 14 September
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/g2-watch-issued-13-september-g1-watch-issued-14-september
A coronal hole high speed stream, originating from a recurrent, positive polarity coronal hole seen in the SDO/AIA 193 image above, is likely to cause geomagnetic storming at the G2 level on 13 September 2017, and at the G1 level on 14 September. Stay tuned for additional updates.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:21:47 PM by c.a. »
C's Groups of people represent energy portals in cosmic rather than global terms. Light warriors are "connectors"
on a cosmic level. Transducers of energy of transitions of your sector of space and time rather like capacitors.  Now, all of you have value far beyond your own understanding to this point. It would be wise to remember this and be cautious. Go from this point with joy in the knowledge and ...defend it. Session: 020731

"He marched endlessly, ate simple foods, slept outside, and endured every hardship. In this way, he strengthened his body against illness".
Julius Caesar 7-12 3-15

Offline matías maurán

• Padawan Learner
could be anything else, but hurricanes if they could make the "california fall to the ocean" if they are becoming more and more concurrent ... the predictions say that hurricane Jose would not reach land, but could still bring tides that the cities would swell because of the eroded state of the edge caused by the previous hurricane ... surely many people thought of this idea although it is vaguely without obviously anticipating.
Haomaru: you're leaving now?
Nakoruru: Yes, I want to understand more about everything
Haohmaru: that means you'll be covered in blood again
Nakoruru: that may be true, but someday I'll find another way.although I do not know the answer, I will continue searching.
Haohmaru: I see.