The Difference Between Paleo and Paleo

A couple things: remember, fruit in ancient times was quite different from the fruit of today. A wild banana is different from a hybrid. There was a lot less sugar in all fruits before they were cultivated to produce sweeter and sweeter and bigger and bigger versions.

Saying that eating fruit is good because our ancestors ate fruit is like saying use processed vegetable oil because our ancestors had lots of fat in the diet. There's a big difference in the type and quality. All fats are not equal and all fruits are not equal.

Having said that, once again I think I should recommend a book that Shijing found and I read and was really impressed: "Cataclysm" by Allan and Delair. There's almost no way to talk about our evolutionary history without taking the data in this book into account. Just keep in mind that Allan and Delair seem to have conflated several events into one, and their timing is off by a few thousand years, but otherwise, the data they marshall to make their case is formidable.

Hi

Unfortunately I don't have the time to go into detail on this post, but what springs to mind immeadiately is the example of the Innu of northern Canada.
Up until contact with Europeans, the Innu lived almost exclusively on a diet of whale blubber(fat) and meat. Carb intake would have been extremely minimal, and only during the very short summers. Now the Innu did not live to an extremely old age, but that is a consequence of the harshness and dangers of the climate and environment, not diet alone. They reproduced, they survived for many more years than a few, and again, off the top of my head, why would insulin 'resistance' be an issue at all if all of ones energy is from a non-sucrose fuel - ketones? Sucrose, needed for the brain, can be produced by the body.
Other points made were good, sorry I don't have the time to write more.

ken macdonald said:
Unfortunately I don't have the time to go into detail on this post, but what springs to mind immeadiately is the example of the Innu of northern Canada. [...] why would insulin 'resistance' be an issue at all if all of ones energy is from a non-sucrose fuel - ketones? Sucrose, needed for the brain, can be produced by the body.

This thread is outdated, just so you know. You can see the current understanding of the forum's research in the stickied "Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?" thread (and, as a somewhat older primer for that one, the "Life Without Bread" thread) in this forum section. Everything older than those threads that runs contrary to them is basically obsolete, former steps along a journey of learning, but remains on the board.

ken macdonald said:
Hi

Unfortunately I don't have the time to go into detail on this post, but what springs to mind immeadiately is the example of the Innu of northern Canada.
Up until contact with Europeans, the Innu lived almost exclusively on a diet of whale blubber(fat) and meat. Carb intake would have been extremely minimal, and only during the very short summers. Now the Innu did not live to an extremely old age, but that is a consequence of the harshness and dangers of the climate and environment, not diet alone. They reproduced, they survived for many more years than a few, and again, off the top of my head, why would insulin 'resistance' be an issue at all if all of ones energy is from a non-sucrose fuel - ketones? Sucrose, needed for the brain, can be produced by the body.

I have read that they had problems with vitamin D deficiency from lack of sunlight, and they seem to have evolved some sort of peculiar (neurological?) disorder that protects them in that regard. I don't think lack of carbs has ever been shown to be an issue (as noted, any info about that is outdated).

Here are some interesting thoughts from someone on YT who has done and does wilderness living challenges as it relates to a diet low in fat.

https://youtu.be/dUupYfeO0xc

https://youtu.be/RVa5_J53ZqQ

I wonder how many people will survive in a 3d post apocalyptic world. This guy certainly seems to be doing the experiment.

Inquorate said:
Here are some interesting thoughts from someone on YT who has done and does wilderness living challenges as it relates to a diet low in fat.

https://youtu.be/dUupYfeO0xc

Trying to skip between the more interesting parts, the message seems to boil down to:
- It's not easy to maintain body weight in wilderness survival circumstances, even if you know how to fish and hunt
- Hunger is an ever present preoccupation
- They seem to get enough sugar from a lot of berries
- They generally wish for more fat and food diversity, including spices and salt

Inquorate, please correct me if I missed something.

Back
Top Bottom