What's the weather where you are?

Freezing temperatures below zero and lot of snow in south Japan, Kyushu.
Ice on the road slippery and lot of accidents. Today I’m going to take day off,
It’s to dangerous. Stay safe everyone.

In Ontario Canada, it's not been as mild overall as it has over previous winters (ie. last year and the previous). There have been some dreadfully cold nights in January (ie. -29 C) and a daytime record low was set one day, where i am presently. Some of the Great Lakes have been icing over in parts, but not as much as they did during the 2013-14 and 2014-15 winters. The most significant phenomenon which differentiates the current winter from historic Ontarian winters -- is the degree of temperature fluctuations. Traditionally winters had only 2 thaws -- "The January Thaw" and "The Spring Thaw" sometime in March. So far this winter we've experienced significantly above freezing temperatures about 3 times already, plus several other near zero Celsius periods. It's quite up and down -- which is becoming the norm for the average winter now.

Almost all the snow melted in the latter part of January but now there's about 30 cm on the ground again. i'm waiting for the (privately hired) snow plow to come and clear the long driveway leading to the public road. However snow cover in other parts of Ontario varies widely -- due to something called "Lake-effect snow" -- cold air blowing over the relatively warmer big lakes, picking up moisture and depositing it over land as snow. This can lead to dangerous, sudden and unexpected "white out" conditions on stretches of 4 lane highway. It can be sunny one minute, then the next visibility falls to less than 10 meters. Vehicles travelling at 120 km/hr. need to slow, but not too quickly or they are hit from behind. There have been some serious pile ups already this year.

By order of the local government, nobody gets out unless it is an emergency here in Central Northern Spain. The roads are completely snowed and people here are not used to "Moscow Winters". Decades ago, they were used to it, but now, it came as a surprise for most. Clearing work is slowed down due to strong winds. Another storm is predicted for tomorrow and the weekend. We better get used to it.

Temperatures predicted to be as low as -16 C and I've already seen how a weather forecast of 0 is usually -9 C. We'll see.

In the pic, black is interrupted, red is difficult, yellow is irregular, and green means it is conditioned.

Everyone is advised to travel with snow chains, a shovel, food and warm clothing, and a full tank.

Attachments

• Traffic.png
    Traffic.png
    229.5 KB · Views: 229
Quiet balmy weather conditions persist for second month down here in Split, Dalmatia. Mostly sunny throughout all this period of time - almost feels like Groundhog Day but not in blizzard circumstances; just sunny,sunny,sunny all the time... People are very worried about pork (bacon and hams) that they've put to curing/smoking cause Boorah is instrumental in getting the best quality of those delights. There is jet some hope that it won't be all wasted, cause February just started, and it is only feminine month name in Croatian calendar - all other months are "male". So popular is to say here: Čudljiva Veljača, kao žena (February is whimsical. like a woman); It is possible to happen "all four seasons of year in single day" - rain, snow, sun, winds... There is a plenty of snow in upper Croatia, for instance...

:bye:

P.S.

Oh just recalled we had have two, three overcast days with abundant downpours and thundering on Wednesday :-[ I've so enjoyed those cloudy dayz!

Yozilla said:
Quiet balmy weather conditions persist for second month down here in Split, Dalmatia. Mostly sunny throughout all this period of time - almost feels like Groundhog Day but not in blizzard circumstances; just sunny,sunny,sunny all the time... People are very worried about pork (bacon and hams) that they've put to curing/smoking cause Boorah is instrumental in getting the best quality of those delights. There is jet some hope that it won't be all wasted, cause February just started, and it is only feminine month name in Croatian calendar - all other months are "male". So popular is to say here: Čudljiva Veljača, kao žena (February is whimsical. like a woman); It is possible to happen "all four seasons of year in single day" - rain, snow, sun, winds... There is a plenty of snow in upper Croatia, for instance...

:bye:

P.S.

Oh just recalled we had have two, three overcast days with abundant downpours and thundering on Wednesday :-[ I've so enjoyed those cloudy dayz!

So come here ! In the Northeast of France it's been more than 2 months that all days are cloudy. Happily, there is no much rain as it used to be. But we feel fortunate if we can see one sunray more than 10 mn in a day. I'm so tired of this half-light all the day, and visibly so are my plants :rolleyes:

It's not hot but absolutely no snow. If something falls from the sky, it's always rain. Last week I went in Vosges and with the same temperatures as here, they had snow, and we had rain :ohboy: I would like to have a little snow, at least it would be more luminous !

We're in for another very mild winter here in Berlin. Hardly two or three snowflakes so far. We only just had a couple of days with overnight temperatures below freezing. Over here you might be forgiven for thinking that global warming actually exists. Manmade of course... :rolleyes:

The other day I had to calm down my neighbor who contritely told me: "We've killed the climate!" :cry:
He is increasingly talking in a hushed voice in order not to produce too much carbon dioxide.

I tried to calm him down by mentioning the severe blizzards and frost that had gripped Russia and North America recently which he didn't seem to be aware of.

Could it be that the global warming warriors at German television couldn't fit in these adverse news?

Attachments

• moskva.PNG
    moskva.PNG
    505.8 KB · Views: 175
En France sur la Côte d'Azur, il fait un peu froid le matin et le soir mais il ne pleut ni ne neige et le soleil et les étoiles brillent...
https://www.msn.com/fr-fr/meteo/previsions/Cagnes-sur-Mer,PACA,France/we-city?iso=FR&el=XWUkrG3GTazer2ktKmqM5A%3D%3D&ocid=spartandhp

In France on the Côte d' Azur, it is a little cold in the morning and evening but it does not rain or snow and the sun and stars shine...
https://www.msn.com/fr-fr/meteo/previsions/Cagnes-sur-Mer, PACA, France/we-city? iso=EN&el=XWUkrG3GTazer2ktKmqM5A%3D%3D&ocid=spartandhp

Intensive snowfalls from this morning in Macedonia. Temperatures around 0C. Forecasts that it will be snowing until tomorrow in the early morning.

In Norway we are starting to break snow records, and the amounts of snowfall around the bottom half of Norway haven't been bigger since 1994. In the most snowfilled regions it is over 2 meters of snow; where I live it's about 130-150 cm. Lots of exercise from shovelling and perfect skiing conditions for the first time in years.
I am enjoying it, but it is starting to be a problem for a growing number of people.

In New Zealand we are in the middle of summer, normally hot and dry. However it has been really wet for about a week, not just rain but mist, lasting all day, with lots of rain. Wet, damp and really humid. Quite unseasonal. The other night we had a plague of crickets - hundreds of them bashing into the house and the windows, again very unusual. Also flies in plague proportions and a small wasp. All in all, a most unusual summer.

FYI -- the cricket swarms were reported on SOTT yesterday:

https://www.sott.net/article/377382-Swarming-crickets-in-Auckland-New-Zealand-like-a-scary-movie-scene

The weather has been hot and dry here in Northern NSW, Australia. Many areas are desperate for rain. There were widespread thunderstorms today, but not much rain here unfortunately. Temps have cooled significantly and hopefully this change may see a return of more regular rain/storms.

In Poland for the few years winters are quite delicate. Currently in Warsaw around 2 degrees of Celsius (35.60 F). Very poor amount of snow through whole winter. Temperature didn't drop below -15 C. Winters about 10 years ago were much colder.

Beast from the East has reached The Shores of Adriatic - this morning even some snowflakes in the air, brought by Boorah - but didn't hold at all. So Split was basking in the Sun yesterday on 17°C and this morning it was around Zero - whatta a drop in 12 hours?! Inland Croatia is overwhelmed with snow... And Big Freeze is jet to come - according to TV weathermen... :knitting:

In the north of Croatia yesterday was sunny with -10 C in the morning and - 6 per day. This morning it is -13 C and cold wind increases the feeling of coldness. On the hill where I live, in the last two weeks much more than half a meter of snow has fallen. Large amount of snow fell in the mountainous areas, some schools are still closed, and the army had to be engaged and still helping in isolated areas in Gorski kotar and Lika. This cold wave will last for a whole week with colds expected even below -15 C.

Back
Top Bottom