Session 23 March 2013

Some practical tips and tricks related to the topic of emotions, self remembering etc and preparation for tough times.

-Use active reasoning to deal with negative emotions. Example: When someone insults you, ask yourself if it was justified. If yes accept it and do better in the future. If not justified, consider that the other has made a mistake and stop bothering about it.

- Uncouple sensation from thought and feeling. Example: when angry, focus on the breath, posture and tension in the body instead of letting the energy drive imaginary thoughts.

- Accept the past and the present without resistance and wishing things to be different. Focus on learning from the past and present to prepare for the future.

- Contemplate death and impermanence constantly. Live as if every day was your last day.

- Enjoy what you have today without being attached to them. One way to go about this is to imagine how it would be to lose what you take for granted today. This keeps insatiable desires at bay and promotes contentment.

- Practice voluntary discomfort periodically. This has the benefit of hardening the spirit for any future misfortune, builds willpower and confidence as well as helping with the realization that we can make do with less than what we use today.

- End each day asking
[quote author=Stoics]
What ailment of yours have you cured today? What failing have you resisted? Where can you show improvement?
[/quote]

Fwiw

obyvatel said:
Some practical tips and tricks related to the topic of emotions, self remembering etc and preparation for tough times.

-Use active reasoning to deal with negative emotions. Example: When someone insults you, ask yourself if it was justified. If yes accept it and do better in the future. If not justified, consider that the other has made a mistake and stop bothering about it.

- Uncouple sensation from thought and feeling. Example: when angry, focus on the breath, posture and tension in the body instead of letting the energy drive imaginary thoughts.

- Accept the past and the present without resistance and wishing things to be different. Focus on learning from the past and present to prepare for the future.

- Contemplate death and impermanence constantly. Live as if every day was your last day.

- Enjoy what you have today without being attached to them. One way to go about this is to imagine how it would be to lose what you take for granted today. This keeps insatiable desires at bay and promotes contentment.

- Practice voluntary discomfort periodically. This has the benefit of hardening the spirit for any future misfortune, builds willpower and confidence as well as helping with the realization that we can make do with less than what we use today.

- End each day asking
I'm just not feeling the "network" connection. Sure we all agree on facts, but beyond that I feel like this forum community is so... fragmented. Everybody is off doing their own thing, posting their own thing, seeing through their own lens...

Fwiw, thinking on what you said Muxel, although this may appear to you as so, for me i’ve started, even though not active here each day or contributing, there is this sense, a constant remembering while away or while carrying out whatever i’m doing in the day, of this multifaceted network here, constantly doing - people doing their thing, whatever that may be; researching, remembering their internal and external struggles/lessons/understandings etcetera. If possible, while reading a great many posts about people and their variegated lives and interests here, they often come up during times of thinking in purposeful ways during the day – as strange as this may seem. It is like the network is a grounding rod and helps one to look through different eyes at themselves and question their actions and their surroundings whenever, like I said above “what if it is not recognized” - it kind of shakes me from signs of self waning. So in this respect, there is this type of everyday mobile connection of remembering to the network, even a type of psychic feedback loop going on while not online. There is this ever greater thinking about everything we do during the day, our very thoughts and actions while alone or together, which perhaps have great unseen influences. Guess what I’m saying, not very well either, is that how many times a day do people here take with them this network, think upon others, what they have said, what solutions they have come up with in a given situation or what research could affect their decision making, how people have helped other, even if not recognized? We may seem fragmented, yet, osit, all these things put together is what we are as a whole – one for all, all for one.

What about doing a Cassiopeans Agenda for the year (maybe for the next)? with the reminders on the beginning and a checklist for the various points where you can rate yourself day by day? It can also include some inspiring quotes on each day or something alike.
I'll be willing to help with some graphic stuff.
Just a thought......

obyvatel said:

{snipped}

[quote author=Stoics]
What ailment of yours have you cured today? What failing have you resisted? Where can you show improvement?

[/quote]

Thanks for this, obyvatel. It'll be a nice addition to the booklet. :)

Hi Zadius Sky,
The letters are the initials of each months, the small circles for each day where, on the inside, it's possible to write a rate from 1 to 10

Intothefield said:
Hi Zadius Sky,
The letters are the initials of each months, the small circles for each day where, on the inside, it's possible to write a rate from 1 to 10

Just a tiny point on the calendar part and it might be a language issue, but January starts with a J not a G as do June and July, so that part might be more clear if you use J's in stead of the letters you've used?

anart said:
Intothefield said:
Hi Zadius Sky,

Just a tiny point on the calendar part and it might be a language issue, but January starts with a J not a G as do June and July, so that part might be more clear if you use J's in stead of the letters you've used?

Ops...you'r right, language issues here :-[
corrected and attached

Attachments

• booklet Cass.pdf
    299.5 KB · Views: 52
Intothefield said:
anart said:

corrected and attached

Thanks. I think that's a pretty good checklist, imho.

I was confused about the "G" part, which led me to ask about it. Thanks for the attachment. :)

Intothefield said:
anart said:
Intothefield said:
Hi Zadius Sky,

corrected and attached

Maybe you could have another O for the month of February in case we are still here for the next bissextile year (2016). ;)

Gandalf said:
Intothefield said:
anart said:
Intothefield said:
Hi Zadius Sky,

corrected and attached

Maybe you could have another O for the month of February in case we are still here for the next bissextile year (2016). ;)

:lol: I didn't want to anticipate too mutch :lol:
I'll add it

Attachments

• booklet Cass.pdf
    299.6 KB · Views: 79
Intothefield said:
Gandalf said:
Intothefield said:
anart said:
Intothefield said:
Hi Zadius Sky,

corrected and attached

:lol: I didn't want to anticipate too mutch :lol:
I'll add it

I like it. I like the image/title for each section too. Something like that will look good in the book!

This little book is a great idea, very good job you all! :thup: It can be used as a daily "alarm clock" a la Gurdjieff's term.

Perhaps we can add images in it too, since we have so many talented artists aboard? Images can look good in black and white, if color would be too expensive to print. Perhaps the images can be symbolic of something that reminds us of Work concepts, like getting control of the horses, the power of networking, focusing on our breath and being present in everything we do, things like that. They can be simple but aesthetically pleasing, and help visual people remember better.

Alana said:
They can be simple but aesthetically pleasing, and help visual people remember better.

That's what I was thinking, I see a lot of people here are into art & graphic.It's intresting to do images on the Work because sometimes it seems itself a kind of meditation.
I would call myself a visual person and images help me a lot into reminding something, I was so fascinated by the simple pictograms in the Gnosis book as well as those from ISOTM that I wished one day I can do something like that.
Next week I'm planning to produce more on the topic.

Back
Top Bottom