'Doomed Cassiopeia star was sloshed just before deadly supernova blast'

Chad

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I thought this short animation from the youtube channel 'The Cosmos News' released today may be of interest :P
(i can't see that it has been posted before)

'Doomed Cassiopeia star was sloshed just before deadly supernova blast

New discovery sheds light on how stars explode'

Essentially is a video short - 2mins - with animation from CalTech regarding the supernova explosion of Cassiopeia A 'Which is 10 light years away' and shows how it came to it's current shape.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hp2ahy8Lg4

Fyi: The narrator is a robot and i can't vouch for the sources credibility in general.

It's funny because i chose that image as my avatar before i came to this forum - it's beauty is obvious though! - and i was reading just yesterday Laura's account on her first actual viewing of it in France.

OR, on noticing the differences in spelling, are they different? I'll assume there's the spelling for the myth/constellation, and then there are a few Cassiopaea/Cassiopeia stars like A,Delta and what not... :nuts:

Is this article referring to the same phenomenon?

Shock Wave Building in Front of Star Kappa Cassiopeiae’s Path
Submitted by Helena Rudhart on Sat, 02/22/2014 - 08:51

http://austriantribune.com/informationen/143182-shock-wave-building-front-star-kappa-cassiopeiae-s-path

A new image released by NASA and Jet Propulsion Laboratory shows a hot and supergiant star Kappa Cassiopeiae swiftly moving through space. The picture has been taken by the Spitzer Space Telescope, launched from Cape Canaveral in 2003.

The star, also known as HD 2905, which is travelling at 2.5 million miles an hour, is building a shock wave in front of its path. Experts said the speed at which the star is moving it can travel between Boston and Charlotte, North Carolina, in just one second.

The star is invisible from Earth if seen through naked eyes. But with a visual aid, the star can be seen in the constellation Cassiopeia. Experts have also seen the formation of a bow shock.

Explaining the phenomenon, experts said the gas is unable to move out of the way of the star on time. This has led the accumulation of the star in front of the star in a bow shock.

Bow shock is formed when tiny particle material trapped in the magnetic field of the star interact with the interstellar medium. It is not the first time when bow shock phenomenon has been observed. Such features have been observed in some of the fastest-moving stars in the galaxy.

Bow-shock lies four light years in front of the star. Assumptions are being made by some astronomers about the formation of bow shocks in this case. Some of them believe the magnetic field of the Milky Way is the reason behind these bow shocks.

If that is the case then astronomers will get a chance to see these invisible-lines of force.

erm :-[

I don't know ;D

"A new image released by NASA and Jet Propulsion Laboratory shows a hot and supergiant star Kappa Cassiopeiae swiftly moving through space."

I know (or so i wrote) the video states Cass A. (and i like how they've gone all out with the spelling, combining my query of the two!). As i understand it, the video shows the 'burst' which lead to Cass A's current shape, though after that, i am lost.
I think our articles discuss the same constellation, but different stars. Busy place!

We may need another brain for this one :)

Maybe not relevant, however since we're talking about action in that area of space, this is what i was reading before i found it:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/fulcanelli_da_vinci_code.htm

"We transmit �through� the opening that is presented in the locator that you represent as Cassiopaea, due to the strong radio pulses aligned from Cassiopaea, which are due to a pulsar from a neutron star 300 light years behind it, as seen from your locator. This facilitates a clear channel transmission"

itellsya said:
We may need another brain for this one :)

I agree, itellsya, the subject is way over my head. It was just a shot in the dark on my part. :huh:

See the Double Cluster in Perseus
By Deborah Byrd in Tonight | February 22, 2017
http://earthsky.org/tonight/the-double-cluster-in-perseus?mc_cid=3641cadb8c&mc_eid=d8faeedee9
double_cluster_cassiopeia_350.jpg

Finding the Double Cluster with the constellation Cassiopeia. Image credit: madmiked

Tonight, find the gorgeous Double Cluster in the constellation Perseus. It’s a wonderful sight to see, assuming your sky is dark. To see it at this time of year, face north to northwest as darkness falls. The Double Cluster consists of two open stars clusters, known as “H” and “Chi” Persei (also called NGC 884 and 869).

How to find them? First, you really do need that dark sky. Second, you might need binoculars, as the Double Cluster is only faintly visible to the unaided eye – even on an inky black night. Look for the famous constellation Cassiopeia in the northwest, forming a backwards “3,” or perhaps an “E,” or the letter “M” or “W” turned on its side.

Just above Cassiopeia, assuming your sky is dark enough, you’ll see a faint fuzzy patch. This is the Double Cluster, which blooms into a sparkling array of stars through binoculars or a small backyard telescope.

These two open star clusters reside an estimated 7,400 light years away. Each contains 300 to 400 stars. These stars are thought to be approximately three million years old … babies in star time! The stellar gas and the myriad stars that compose the flat disk of our Milky Way galaxy pass right through Cassiopeia and Perseus – and in front and behind the Double Cluster. If your sky is dark enough, you’ll see the hazy pathway of the winter Milky Way crossing this part of the sky.

The Double Cluster was charted by skywatchers as early as 150 B.C. Hipparchus saw it, and Ptolemy named it as one of seven “nebulosities” in the Almagest, an ancient astronomy text used for over a millennium. The Double Cluster in Perseus ranks as a favorite among stargazers, a bejeweled place in the heavens to zoom in on with binoculars.

Hipparchus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipparchus
Hipparchus of Nicaea (/hɪˈpɑːrkəs/; Greek: Ἵππαρχος, Hipparkhos; c. 190 – c. 120 BC) was a Greek astronomer, geographer, and mathematician. He is considered the founder of trigonometry[1] but is most famous for his incidental discovery of precession of the equinoxes.[2]

Hipparchus was born in Nicaea, Bithynia (now Iznik, Turkey), and probably died on the island of Rhodes. He is known to have been a working astronomer at least from 162 to 127 BC.[3] Hipparchus is considered the greatest ancient astronomical observer and, by some, the greatest overall astronomer of antiquity. He was the first whose quantitative and accurate models for the motion of the Sun and Moon survive. For this he certainly made use of the observations and perhaps the mathematical techniques accumulated over centuries by the Babylonians and other people from Mesopotamia. He developed trigonometry and constructed trigonometric tables, and he solved several problems of spherical trigonometry. With his solar and lunar theories and his trigonometry, he may have been the first to develop a reliable method to predict solar eclipses. His other reputed achievements include the discovery and measurement of Earth's precession, the compilation of the first comprehensive star catalog of the western world, and possibly the invention of the astrolabe, also of the armillary sphere, which he used during the creation of much of the star catalogue.

https://youtu.be/pWOMDm6ejlw
Hipparchus shows us how to describe the position of any point on Earth with two numbers and explains the stereo-graphic projection: how to draw a map of the world.

Back
Top Bottom