Math GIFs to simplify certain concepts

whitecoast

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I found them on this website: _http://www.iflscience.com/brain/math-gifs-will-help-you-understand-these-concepts-better-your-teacher-ever-did. My favorites are the trigonometry ones:

Pythagoras' theorem:

How Pi is derived:

If an arc of a circle is the same length as its radius, the resulting angle is one radian:

Visualizing sine (red) on the Y axis and cosine (blue) on the X axis. The relative position of the circle is shown in black:

Cosine is the derivative of sine:

Tangent lines:

Converting a function from Cartesian to Polar coordinates:

There's lots of other cool ones there too!

Illuminating as well as entertaining. Great find whitecoast. Thanks for sharing. :cool:

Another proof for the saying that a (moving) picture can outdo a thousand or so words... :lol:

Palinurus said:
Illuminating as well as entertaining. Great find whitecoast. Thanks for sharing. :cool:

Another proof for the saying that a (moving) picture can outdo a thousand or so words... :lol:

Exactly ha ha great find whitecoast, thanks for posting i'll bookmark this one for future reference.

Nice! I think I'll probably understand math using this kind of images! :P

Thanks whitecoast!

See, this really irritates me - and I'm good at math.

With those GIFs, math is WAAAAY easier to understand. So, why don't they teach it that way?

Why do we have to suffer through year after year after year of totally complicated and borderline nonsensical explanations when a simple picture can convey the meaning to darn near anybody?

:headbash:

Scottie said:

With those GIFs, math is WAAAAY easier to understand. So, why don't they teach it that way?

Why do we have to suffer through year after year after year of totally complicated and borderline nonsensical explanations when a simple picture can convey the meaning to darn near anybody?

Because that just makes too much sense and is diametrically opposed to their common cores :lol:

trendsetter37 said:
Scottie said:

Because that just makes too much sense and is diametrically opposed to their common cores :lol:

My love affair with math is 50+ years old and these GIFs are pure poetry in motion.

Thanks whitecoast!

Has any read A Little Book of Coincidence
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Coincidence-Wooden-Books/dp/0802713882

A most unusual guide to the solar system, A Little Book of Coincidence suggests that there may be fundamental relationships between space, time, and life that have not yet been fully understood. From the observations of Ptolemy and Kepler to the Harmony of the Spheres and the hidden structure of the solar system, John Martineau reveals the exquisite orbital patterns of the planets and the mathematical relationships that govern them. A table shows the relative measurements of each planet in eighteen categories, and three pages show the beautiful dance patterns of thirty six pairs of planets and moons.

it's only 35 pages long but has some good drawing's similar to above, good from the point of view that it gives a visual representation to mathematical constructs

Palinurus said:

Absolutely! It's like objective art, perhaps without the emotional component, though it does give a super nice feeling to see a dim concept lit and summed up so concisely and simple.

Scottie said:
My answer would be compartmentalization with intent, on behalf of the planners of todays idiocracy. 4D 'of course', through, as for example John Taylor Gatto shows, mad human planners of the prussian schools, designing the removal of imagination from the pupil to become a pawn of state. Which in turn got the attention of American social architects who imported and improved these brainwashing ideas and it morphed into the modern day school system with its separated classrooms and disciplines, pavlovian bell ringing, and authority making you emotionally and intellectually dependent on a curriculum making little connected sense, connections which are absolutely vital for deeper learning.

Just as Gardner (Multiple intelligences) and Mithen (Prehistory of mind - Mind as a cathedral) shows; we are dependent on the connection of our specialized intelligence modules to communicate with our general intelligence if we are to deepen learning, navigate better, be wiser, etc. This cross intelligence communication has been trained out of us, sealing compartments of mind.

Seaniebawn said:

When dusting off my math and physics a few years ago, I was looking for visual material which could support the dry and less than wondrous school books provided for the course, with the connections I knew must lie between the now secluded scientific branches and I found some of the other 'wooden books'; "The golden section", "Sciencia" & "Quadrivium". The latter is supposedly a Pyhtagorean (and platonic adapted) teaching system which, when you had graduated as a student of 'the Trivium' (learning how to learn, research and convey), could move on to studying the Quadrivium (4) consisting of; 1. Arithmetic (Number) - 2. Geometry (Number in space) - 3. Harmony/ Music (Number in time) - 4. Astronomy (Number in space & time).

That's of course very appealing to the brain having such a promise of a nice and simple connecting structure of usually undisclosed ratios, which at first sight seems to dispel the complexities of modern science, which in turn probably is a derivative function of an obfuscated education system with its segregated disciplines. I still haven't actually read the books fully, but they have been good visual inspiration in reinstating wonder about science, because they are so well illustrated, with many examples of surprising ratio coincidences - mathematical beauty. Though I'm not sure how I could use the information in any practical way, other than level inspiration for the 'mathemystical' pattern based computer games I was tinkering with a while back.

Those were great, whitecoast!

Scottie said:

Why indeed. And this brings up simple related "math" teaching method, as opposed to the new U.S. "Common Core's" stupidly-bizzar teaching methods. Check out how these kids have learned - finger Abacus:

https://youtu.be/3wgdkFwvrEQ?feature=player_detailpage

Parallel said:
Palinurus said:

Absolutely! It's like objective art, perhaps without the emotional component, though it does give a super nice feeling to see a dim concept lit and summed up so concisely and simple.

Scottie said:
My answer would be compartmentalization with intent, on behalf of the planners of todays idiocracy. 4D 'of course', through, as for example John Taylor Gatto shows, mad human planners of the prussian schools, designing the removal of imagination from the pupil to become a pawn of state. Which in turn got the attention of American social architects who imported and improved these brainwashing ideas and it morphed into the modern day school system with its separated classrooms and disciplines, pavlovian bell ringing, and authority making you emotionally and intellectually dependent on a curriculum making little connected sense, connections which are absolutely vital for deeper learning.

Just as Gardner (Multiple intelligences) and Mithen (Prehistory of mind - Mind as a cathedral) shows; we are dependent on the connection of our specialized intelligence modules to communicate with our general intelligence if we are to deepen learning, navigate better, be wiser, etc. This cross intelligence communication has been trained out of us, sealing compartments of mind.

Seaniebawn said:

When dusting off my math and physics a few years ago, I was looking for visual material which could support the dry and less than wondrous school books provided for the course, with the connections I knew must lie between the now secluded scientific branches and I found some of the other 'wooden books'; "The golden section", "Sciencia" & "Quadrivium". The latter is supposedly a Pyhtagorean (and platonic adapted) teaching system which, when you had graduated as a student of 'the Trivium' (learning how to learn, research and convey), could move on to studying the Quadrivium (4) consisting of; 1. Arithmetic (Number) - 2. Geometry (Number in space) - 3. Harmony/ Music (Number in time) - 4. Astronomy (Number in space & time).

That's of course very appealing to the brain having such a promise of a nice and simple connecting structure of usually undisclosed ratios, which at first sight seems to dispel the complexities of modern science, which in turn probably is a derivative function of an obfuscated education system with its segregated disciplines. I still haven't actually read the books fully, but they have been good visual inspiration in reinstating wonder about science, because they are so well illustrated, with many examples of surprising ratio coincidences - mathematical beauty. Though I'm not sure how I could use the information in any practical way, other than level inspiration for the 'mathemystical' pattern based computer games I was tinkering with a while back.

I found this video on youtube a few year's ago nature by number's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ivF5GqzKo

the music is nice and the video is really good.

naorma said:
Truely amazing! :perfect:

Second that! It seems so simple this way, because actually, it is!

Damn teachers making it look so complicated by using strange formulas, weird abbreviations and explanations like "Pi is an infinite number because, well, it has something to do with irrational numbers, which you actually don't know yet and we will never tell you about them unless you study math at the university, but never mind, let's look at some definitions for sinus and cosinus: Sin(0)=0; ... :huh:

Back
Top Bottom