Endorphin Deficiency Syndrome: Chronic pain, addiction and autoimmune conditions

Really good fine Redfox! I have been researching LDN for the last two weeks and have decided to try it out but my doc refused to prescribe it. Have you tried it, if so how was your experience? Thinking about getting a prescription from /ldndoctor.com since I don't really trust "online pharmacies".

A friend has been using LDN for CFS and is impressed with the results.

She suggests the page linked for information packs to take to doctors who may not be aware of the uses of low dose naltrexone in treatment of autoimmune and other health issues.

_https://www.ldnresearchtrust.org/are-you-a-patient

Jones said:
A friend has been using LDN for CFS and is impressed with the results.

She suggests the page linked for information packs to take to doctors who may not be aware of the uses of low dose naltrexone in treatment of autoimmune and other health issues.

_https://www.ldnresearchtrust.org/are-you-a-patient

Had a look at the website, very informative! But I doubt my doc will prescribe it so I went with the LDNdoc website. Thanks!

I asked around locally and there is a doctor in town who will prescribe it, and has to two people that I know. My own GP when questioned however said that she wouldn’t prescribe it since it’s an off label and not officially approved. Mind you she didn’t look at the literature before she made that statement and I had pointed out to her that it was an off label use.
In any case, curiosity got the better of me and since I’m looking for alternate treatments for issues I’m experiencing with my ears (tinnitus has been extreme, recent diagnosis of hyperacusis and still some investigation as to whether I may have meniere’s disease – symptoms nausea, mild vertigo and nystagmus) I decided to look a little further.
Since LDN works supposedly by blocking the opioid receptors for a period of time, and creates an endorphin ‘slingshot’ effect, and it’s the endorphins that are actually the healing agent that is attributed to taking LDN – I went looking for other ways to stimulate endorphin production – well other than exercise because that can be a little precarious for me at the moment.
This link suggests that eating chilli and drinking alcohol can stimulate endorphin production. It states that too much alcohol can have the opposite effect though so caution in ‘dosage’ rates is wise. It also mentions ultraviolet light and suggests that the endorphin production is the reason why some can get addicted to tanning beds. And finally – meditation and controlled breathing exercises as well as body work such as tai chi and yoga.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/endorphins.htm

I haven’t really ever been a big fan of chilli, but there happened to be a taste – tester at the local supermarket today and there was a sample of chilli soup on offer. I definitely felt a calming effect after that small sample so am interested to experiment more with that.
Also interesting that the mention of alcohol reminded me of the suggestion for a shot of whiskey for Ark from the C’s

Session 31 May 1997
Q: Is there something he can do for protection?

A: He soon will leave the area.

Q: Well, during the time he is there, how much damage can they do?

A: Probably not much.

Q: Is there any other step he can take other than going to the library or staying in his hotel?

A: Good idea!

Q: Anything else?

A: One shot of whiskey per day will help.

Q: Well, that is a bizarre thing to say! A shot of whiskey?! That will help his brain chemistry?

A: Some.

Thank you for sharing this, RedFox! It is quite fascinating.

It has helped shed some more light on the bigger picture.

I want to thank RedFox for starting this thread, and Shijing for the LDN book mention.

When I first read this info, I asked my doctor about it, but that went nowhere. Once I saw the LDN book, I looked that up at my public library; they had it, so I took that to my next doctor appointment. Skimming through it seemed to be enough to convince her it was at least benign, so she prescribed it.

I have been on LDN for 8 months. My insurance doesn't cover compounding pharmacies, so I get the "standard" 50 mg dose. I break the tablet in half where it is indented, then scrape it with a butterknife onto my finger. Lick and wash it down!

First 50 mg pill took 50 days, second 40 days, third a month. Then I went to a half tablet per week, which is an average of about three and a half milligrams per day.

More energy, feeling less than half dead ( :cool: ) since I started. I was taking Armour thyroid only in the winter (summer just too hot to lose the heat tolerance in the desert). This winter, I haven't gone back on the thyroid, just trying the LDN to see how that goes.

I was off both iodine & selenium for a while (except iodized salt, which I know isn't much); just started both at low dose.

Everyone who has auto immune hypothyroid - or any auto immune, really - should read about LDN. Anyone who knows anyone with auto immune should tell them LDN exists. Most doctors, even endocrinologists & psychiatrists, have never heard of it, so will never suggest it.

I'm glad you've found the information on LDN helpful, Jeffrey. My dad started using it last year after he was released from the hospital and physical therapy, and it does seem to be helping him with his Parkinson's symptoms slowly but surely. I talked to someone else later last summer who was also taking it for different reasons (multiple sclerosis?) and who had a positive experience with it, so there does seem to be something to it. Now that I've read it, I do recommend the book for anyone who wants to learn more about LDN.

Back
Top Bottom