The languages of the Ex-Yu Kasiopejski materijal

I really don't think this is viable. The Slovenian and Macedonian languages and grammar are just too different from Serbo-Croatian to make the translations understood by all three, IMO. For proper interpretation and understanding they would need to be be translated separately. Most S-C speakers would have no idea what the Slovenian text was saying apart from a word here and there, and things can disastrously be taken out of context. Macedonian is not far off with similar difficulty.

FWIW, it may be better if all stuck to the english version and ask for clarification or explanation as needed. In time, their english reading skills and understanding would improve.

Bojan71 said:
I think the Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin language, which are essentially one language!
I agree. The others are just too different to include and would make communication difficult IMO.

I agree with Bojan about opening an Ex Yu section in these languages. (Croatian, serbian, bosnian and montenegrin)

Re: The languages of the Ex-YUGOSLAVIA (Kasiopejski materijal)

Laura said:
Bastian said:
Bojan71 said:
What do you think of the idea of starting a new section on the forum just for ex-yu languages?
Ko smo said:
It would be great if we could have this section for EX YU languages.
For those who, like me, wonder what are « ex-yu » or « EX YU » languages : they are the languages of the ex-Yugoslavia (Serbo-Croatian, Slovene, Macedonian).

My two euro-cents.

Exactly. We would need to enter that in the subject field for best understanding by readers. So, which languages are we talking about?

Thank you for your great understanding Laura!

I agree with other members about opening an Ex Yu section (Serbo-Croatian). :)

sToRmR1dR said:

So, we open Serbo-Croatian section and what about Macedonian-Slovenian?

The huge difference between Slovenian and Macedonian language , as opposed to Serbian, Bosnian and Croatian language, also, there is Cyrillic and Latin scripts.
I honestly believe that many members of the Forum incomplete understanding of the English language represents a barrier to a larger number of responses on specific topics.
Dakota said:
Although talking, reading or writing on our native language is easy (for me) is just choosing the shortcut and it is not good solutions, because you can lose in the meantime very good articles, threads and books.
I agree here with Dakota, but...
Dakota said:
....Sometime I need half an hour to write couple of sentences ....
One day has got 24 hours, I feel that if the day had 36 hours, I would not able to read or respond to all posts what I want.
Dakota said:
Making small group where you feel confrontable is ok...
I can speak for myself, it is not just a case of comfort, because as you said
Dakota said:
...And thinking in English is very different than Croatian, IMO...
Lack of free time plays a big role,with this would greatly facilitate members with poor English skills(In my case certainly)

Laura said:
sToRmR1dR said:

In times when Macedonia was a part of Ex-Yugoslavia , Serbo-Croatian Language was a mandatory class in every schools. Its also very similar to Macedonian Language. Also There are very small number of Macedonian readers and members here. I`m one of them.My father is a Serb and my mother is half Macedonian. I think that Serbo-Croatian language will be acceptable for Macedonian members also.I dont think that there is somebody in Macedonia that dont understands Serbo-Croatian language very well.
Later, if there will be more members from Macedonia , maybe we can include that language in the Ex-Yu section, but i dont think its necessary for now. We will just make all idea more complicated and nothing more.

From my experience and contacts with people ,native Sebian and Croatian speaker have a difficulties understand Macedonian Language.

To me, Slovenia language is more different then all other Ex-Yu Languages and for me Slovenian language is difficult to understand. Bosnian and Montenegrian are just a variation of Serbo-Ctoatian language.( they are almost the same) .

I think , in order the Ex-Yu section to be understandable to a wider area of readers the best way is to use Serbo - Croatian Language with Latin script.

Konstantin said:
I think , in order the Ex-Yu section to be understandable to a wider area of readers the best way is to use Serbo - Croatian Language with Latin script.
I too think that would be the most effective way to go.

I agree too.

Ko smo said:
It would be great if we could have this section for EX YU languages.

For me it is ok to read in English to understand it but it hard to comment and have same flow of mind in native language

I think that even if and after there is a Serbo-Croatian section, it would be a good idea for you all to read what the other language sections are about in this forum. See this thread:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,13248.msg97002.html#msg97002

We do try to encourage writing in English as much as possible, but those sections are there to help you when you struggle with communication, or when you want to share translations/material.

Our team is quite small, yet everyone is making a huge effort to get as much material translated into Serbo-Croatian. So, bravo for that!!! :thup:

Laura said:
sToRmR1dR said:

Ex Yu section including all languages,and who wants to learn... :)

casper said:
Dakota said:
Although talking, reading or writing on our native language is easy (for me) is just choosing the shortcut and it is not good solutions, because you can lose in the meantime very good articles, threads and books.
I agree here with Dakota, but...
Dakota said:
....Sometime I need half an hour to write couple of sentences ....
One day has got 24 hours, I feel that if the day had 36 hours, I would not able to read or respond to all posts what I want.
Dakota said:
Making small group where you feel confrontable is ok...
I can speak for myself, it is not just a case of comfort, because as you said
Dakota said:
...And thinking in English is very different than Croatian, IMO...
Lack of free time plays a big role,with this would greatly facilitate members with poor English skills(In my case certainly)
Casper, I can fully understand your opinion also because I'm wearing your 'skin' related to language issue, but here some points:

1. Lack of free time issue: IMO, this problem comes up everytime when we are not conscious or at least when we sleep through day so much that we are no capable to organize our time.
In article about problems with organizing our time you can found very good advices (you can found this article on both language, English and Croatian):

Understanding the inner workings of your brain can improve your productivity and quality of life

Razumijevanje unutrašnjih procesa vašeg mozga može unaprijediti produktivnost i kvalitetu života

When I observing (even most of the time I sleep) my self through the day I can see that sometimes goes couple a days and I didn't do anything constructive but then, in one day I do what I didn't achieve in three days. So, I don't think so that we are lacking the time, it is all about awareness, IMO.

2. It is true that sometime I need half an hour to write something on forum, but here is some good things about it:
In that way I have opportunity to not write everything what comes on my mind. I have to think clearly first with my self what I want to ask, also, when I come on the forum to ask, I have to search because probably someone already mention this subject.
Also, I can't be objective about my writing on English in this couple of months but I can say that I feel much more secure and brave to write. I feel joy when I think that I have achieved to write something understandably.
Many time, I choose to read something later because of barrier of language (probably most of us do this) but that means (for me) that I do not have enough desire or need for that subject. Trust me, when you have a problem that really bugging you, you gonna get energy and will to deal with your barrier and read what is needed to read.

3. Comfort zone - noncomfort zone
In comfort zone you can't learn or achieve some progress (IMO), and every effort to something, like reading or writing on the language that you are not comfortable is much, much easier then some other stuff like going everyday on the job where you psycopath boss terorizing you and you have to work because you will not have something to eat. Learning language is easy, you just have to sit in you comfortable chair, clicking and thinking. So, pardon me, if I see this like laziness.
To addition to benefits of learning new language here is article about it:

Kako učenje novog jezika u bilo kojoj životnoj dobi utječe na mozak

and in English another article but with same context:
Learning a new language expands the brain

Also, what you invest that's what you get. There's no free lunch in the Universe.

I'm not partybreaker, but this is my 2 cents.

Sorry Dakota, but I think it is wrong and not OK to call me lazy, I work every day of the year, two jobs that would afford a normal life for me and daughter, as I write this I cook for today and tomorrow, my schedule is very neat and precise, believe me I know very well that there is no free lunch in the Universe.

Sorry, my answer will be very short now, because I work the night shift.

Back
Top Bottom