Realization of a new program

But when some difficulties appear, then one should stay on the chosen track and do what should to be done, because often discomfort doesn't come from our true self.

What I'm thinking about is those difficulties may very well happen because of procrastination. There is where is see it's a good idea to force yourself into doing some things before it gets worst. Making the option to just do what you want a less attracting one.

Also doing the house chores wich something I postpone continually, I realised I would do them mostly because of how it looks to others. Sure some things are very practicle to be well ordered I seem to organize some stuff a lot and other stuff not at all. Is there a real value to constantly do those tasks ? I kind a do the bare minimum it's an area where it seems a lot of energies can be directed elsewhere to me.

In ISOTM G mentions using too much energy on some things and not enough on others and also what he would call the tomorrow disease comes to mind. Maybe remembering our mortality could help break free from procrastination and similar programs. After all saying what will happen tomorrow is an assumption we'll be here and alive to do it. On the other hand its so seductive to put everything off till later that it may be a chemical addiction. :-[

[quote author=Esprit]
Also doing the house chores wich something I postpone continually, I realised I would do them mostly because of how it looks to others. Sure some things are very practicle to be well ordered I seem to organize some stuff a lot and other stuff not at all. Is there a real value to constantly do those tasks ? I kind a do the bare minimum it's an area where it seems a lot of energies can be directed elsewhere to me.
[/quote]

The value of doing house chores, especially the ones we do not like doing, is in developing self-discipline. Directing energies to higher and better things sounds appealing but in reality can easily turn into a justification for self-indulgence, which is opposite to self-discipline. To determine if an action is just self-indulgence or a judicious use of energy in a practical situation, specific details need to considered.

obyvatel said:
The value of doing house chores, especially the ones we do not like doing, is in developing self-discipline. Directing energies to higher and better things sounds appealing but in reality can easily turn into a justification for self-indulgence, which is opposite to self-discipline. To determine if an action is just self-indulgence or a judicious use of energy in a practical situation, specific details need to considered.

Thank you for bringing that up! That's an interesting train of thought.
Do you have an exemple of those specific details ?

One example would be doing something that you like doing, and at the same time it also benefits others. That this activity is a valuable service to the community.

But even in such a case one has to be aware of various programs that can get activated as a result, or the intentions behind the activity may be rather self-serving. So this should be taken into account as well.

But then, it may be still worth making an effort and doing something that benefit others, especially if it will provide the opportunity to observe the self and try to put needs of others before our own. Hope it helps.

Esprit said:
obyvatel said:

Thank you for bringing that up! That's an interesting train of thought.
Do you have an exemple of those specific details ?

I can give a somewhat trivial example from my experience since it came up today in the context of responding to this specific thread in the forum. I read your response today morning. I wanted to respond to it right away. But I had an appointment a little later in the day. I had planned on doing some household chores before I left the house for the appointment. If I spent the appropriate amount of time which was needed to think and type up this post at that time and make my appointment, I would have to postpone or make shortcuts for the chores. I could leave the breakfast dishes unwashed in the sink and get to it after I came back home from the appointment. And I could take the dog out for a short walk in the neighborhood instead of driving her to a leash-free area where she runs around, which takes more time. I could justify responding to the post and not doing the dishes and taking the shortcut with the dog walking by invoking "higher and better things", since I treat forum interactions as something serious. But in this specific context, it would simply be an excuse to do what I preferred over the daily chores. What I did was to finish the chores with the level of quality that is satisfactory to me before leaving for my appointment. As expected I could not get back in front of the computer until late evening which is when I am responding to the post.

Like I said, it is a trivial example. Some not-so-trivial examples would be people invoking the "higher and better use of energy" argument to forego what their mundane life is bringing to their notice on a consistent basis. Thus we could have someone who is so busy learning and discussing esoteric issues or issues of global importance that he/she neglects what life here-and-now is asking of him/her. Their living place can become a mess because they avoid doing what is needed. Their families may suffer because they are not pulling their weight. And for younger people, they can use the "higher and better use of energy" argument to actually not live their lives by taking some of the unavoidable risks one needs to take in order to go out there in the world and have experiences related to education/profession/relationships and thus learn and grow.

Hopefully the above makes sense. We need to understand the details of a specific situation to know whether one is making the best and most judicious use of the energies and talents loaned to him/her in the moment and in life. It is not about getting it perfect but about being committed to a path of growth which benefits the person concerned, people around him and society at large. OSIT.

But in this specific context, it would simply be an excuse to do what I preferred over the daily chores.

Exactly. To remedy this you need to see and understand this dynamic and increase self discipline through doing what you don't prefer in this specific situation.

And what we prefer I'm sure has its own programs and dynamic of mostly A influences

obyvatel said:
I can give a somewhat trivial example from my experience since it came up today in the context of responding to this specific thread in the forum. I read your response today morning. I wanted to respond to it right away. But I had an appointment a little later in the day. I had planned on doing some household chores before I left the house for the appointment. If I spent the appropriate amount of time which was needed to think and type up this post at that time and make my appointment, I would have to postpone or make shortcuts for the chores. I could leave the breakfast dishes unwashed in the sink and get to it after I came back home from the appointment. And I could take the dog out for a short walk in the neighborhood instead of driving her to a leash-free area where she runs around, which takes more time. I could justify responding to the post and not doing the dishes and taking the shortcut with the dog walking by invoking "higher and better things", since I treat forum interactions as something serious. But in this specific context, it would simply be an excuse to do what I preferred over the daily chores. What I did was to finish the chores with the level of quality that is satisfactory to me before leaving for my appointment. As expected I could not get back in front of the computer until late evening which is when I am responding to the post.

Like I said, it is a trivial example. Some not-so-trivial examples would be people invoking the "higher and better use of energy" argument to forego what their mundane life is bringing to their notice on a consistent basis. Thus we could have someone who is so busy learning and discussing esoteric issues or issues of global importance that he/she neglects what life here-and-now is asking of him/her. Their living place can become a mess because they avoid doing what is needed. Their families may suffer because they are not pulling their weight. And for younger people, they can use the "higher and better use of energy" argument to actually not live their lives by taking some of the unavoidable risks one needs to take in order to go out there in the world and have experiences related to education/profession/relationships and thus learn and grow.

Hopefully the above makes sense. We need to understand the details of a specific situation to know whether one is making the best and most judicious use of the energies and talents loaned to him/her in the moment and in life. It is not about getting it perfect but about being committed to a path of growth which benefits the person concerned, people around him and society at large. OSIT.

Thank you for this elaborate answer. I do use excuses to avoid some tasks. I guess I'm looking for some sense of priority since I've always been a slacker, those chores often seem unimportant to me. The tip about discipline got me searching and I found this post:
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=41417.0
Great videos I've watched and ordered the book: The Practising Mind. I already feel better about the tasks just watching the videos.Did some house chores and worked on the car today. Finding the equilibrium between much time to allow to tasks and to fool around (internet-tv-video games) I'm not sure how to put this into a definite objective. Do some of you avoid tv completely ? My internet time is split between usefull things (knowledge) and fooling around.

If the videos and the reading have had a positive impact on you already i would say to sit with this improvement for alittle see if this sticks or if you fall back into old habits if you do fall back try and catch or observe yourself in that moment take it slow have a seat meditate on your feelings know yourself

Menna said:
If the videos and the reading have had a positive impact on you already i would say to sit with this improvement for alittle see if this sticks or if you fall back into old habits if you do fall back try and catch or observe yourself in that moment take it slow have a seat meditate on your feelings know yourself

Good advice it actually happened. I'm meditating much more these it helps a lot. I'm trying with the clock now. I'm allowing a limit of time for certain activities ans also I allow some space for improvisation so far it works well.

Back
Top Bottom