Mystery object in weird orbit beyond Neptune cannot be explained

youlik

The Living Force
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2100700-mystery-object-in-weird-orbit-beyond-neptune-cannot-be-explained/

Не плохо было бы при случае поинтересоваться у C's что это за объект и чем объясняется его столь аномальная орбита. Ученые пока не могут придумать ничего сколько нибудь вразумительного.
Кстати, я уже спрашивал в другой ветке, однако там ответа не получил, может здесь кто пояснит. В шапке форума помещено изображение созвездия Кассиопея, однако оно изображено в перевернутом виде, как будто мы смотрим на него с обратной стороны в сторону Земли. Так вот вопрос в том - имеется ли в этом какой-то скрытый смысл (типа взгляд C's на нас через созвездие или что-то типа того) или это просто вот так без всяких задних мыслей?

Translation
It would do well to ask the C's what kind of object it is and what accounts for his very anomalous orbit. Scientists still can't think of anything as anything intelligible.
By the way, I already asked in another thread, but there got no response, maybe here someone will explain. In the header of the forum placed the image of the constellation Cassiopeia, but it is depicted upside down, as if we look at it from the opposite side of the Earth. So the question is - is there some sort of hidden meaning (like the C's look to us through the constellation, or something like that) or is it just like that without any ulterior motives?

Это для сравнения

This for comparison

Attachments

• ScreenShot_20160812121141.png
    ScreenShot_20160812121141.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 325
  • ScreenShot_20160812121207.png
    ScreenShot_20160812121207.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 327
I can't comment on the astronomy but I'm curious to see where this will lead.

I don't think the person who designed the coordinate system for star maps intended to say what was the "right" way to view Cassiopeia.

That said, I think it's upside down because viewing it this way emphasizes the "wave" symbology, whereas the other way around would look like mountains or something else. This is subjective though.

That said, I think it's upside down because viewing it this way emphasizes the "wave" symbology, whereas the other way around would look like mountains or something else. This is subjective though.
Издержки машинного перевода. Хочу чтоб меня правильно поняли. Я пишу о перевороте не верх-низ, а право-лево. Я приложил две картинки как выглядит это созвездие реально на небе, при этом понятно что переворачиваться на небе оно может-мы же вращаемся. На изображении в шапке форума созвездие выглядит как в зеркальном отражении или, если представить себе наблюдателя, который переместился от Земли сквозь это созвездие на такое же расстояние и вот оттуда посмотрел назад на Землю. Земли он конечно не увидел (ибо маленькая и далеко) а вот Кассиопея с той стороны должна бы выглядеть именно так. Или другой пример. Взять лист бумаги, продырявить его в тех местах где звезды в созвездии. Теперь лист можно крутить на плоскости стола и это будет имитация того что мы видим на небе. Но в шапке созвездие изображено так как если бы мы наш лист перевернули другой стороной. Дырки (то есть звезды) мы увидим и на другой стороне, только конфигурация их будет другая.
Извиняюсь за много слов.

Translation
The costs of machine translation. I want that me correctly understood. I write about the coup is not the top-bottom but right-left. I have attached two pictures how it looks a real constellation in the sky, and it is clear that the roll over in the sky it can-we rotate. The image in the header of the forum the constellation looks like in the mirror or, if you imagine an observer that has moved from the Earth through a constellation the same distance and then looked back at the Earth. The Earth he certainly did not see (because a little and far away) but Cassiopeia from the other side should look exactly.Or another example. Take a sheet of paper, make a hole in it in those places where the stars in the constellation. Now the sheet can rotate in the plane of the table and it will be an imitation of what we see in the sky. But in the header of the forum the constellation is depicted as if we have our sheet turned by the other side. Holes (i.e. the stars) we will see on the other side, only the configuration of them will be different.
I apologize for many words.

youlik said:
By the way, I already asked in another thread, but there got no response, maybe here someone will explain. In the header of the forum placed the image of the constellation Cassiopeia, but it is depicted upside down, as if we look at it from the opposite side of the Earth. So the question is - is there some sort of hidden meaning (like the C's look to us through the constellation, or something like that) or is it just like that without any ulterior motives?

I see what you mean, it’s flipped left to right. As far as I’m aware there’s no significance to it, most likely put it down to artistic licence I think.

I see what you mean, it’s flipped left to right. As far as I’m aware there’s no significance to it, most likely put it down to artistic licence I think.
Видимо других мнений на эту тему нет, тогда и я успокоюсь. А то мерещатся Орионцы, Плеядианцы, Ретикулянцы. :lol:

Translation
Apparently other opinions on this subject don't, then I'll calm down. And see the Oriental, Pleyadians, Reticulans. :lol:

youlik said:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2100700-mystery-object-in-weird-orbit-beyond-neptune-cannot-be-explained/

Не плохо было бы при случае поинтересоваться у C's что это за объект и чем объясняется его столь аномальная орбита. Ученые пока не могут придумать ничего сколько нибудь вразумительного.
Кстати, я уже спрашивал в другой ветке, однако там ответа не получил, может здесь кто пояснит. В шапке форума помещено изображение созвездия Кассиопея, однако оно изображено в перевернутом виде, как будто мы смотрим на него с обратной стороны в сторону Земли. Так вот вопрос в том - имеется ли в этом какой-то скрытый смысл (типа взгляд C's на нас через созвездие или что-то типа того) или это просто вот так без всяких задних мыслей?

Translation
It would do well to ask the C's what kind of object it is and what accounts for his very anomalous orbit. Scientists still can't think of anything as anything intelligible.

Might be related to this:
http://cassiopaea.org/cass/fulcanelli_da_vinci_code.htm

As I continued to study this painting, I noted something else that seems to be quite remarkable:

If you use the hand with the knife, the hand making the cutting motion, the right hand of Jesus, his forehead, and the palm of his left hand as “points,” you have exactly traced the constellation of Cassiopeia MIRRORED.

This is in reference to the last supper. Please read the article for some fascinating insights. But basically the idea of a "mirror" version of Cassiopeia constellation on top of the forum could've come from this, or could be artistic license just as Alada said.

youlik said:

See here: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,42446.msg667706.html#msg667706

See here: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,42446.msg667706.html#msg667706
Вопрос наконец закрыт. Спасибо всем откликнувшимся.
P.S. И все таки не обошлось здесь без высшей плотности. Не зря мне Плеядианцы мерещились! :v:

Translation
The issue finally closed. Thanks to everyone who helped.
P. S. And still there has been no higher density. No wonder I imagined the Pleiadians! :v:

By Shannon Hall

“I hope everyone has buckled their seatbelts because the outer solar system just got a lot weirder.” That’s what Michele Bannister, an astronomer at Queens University, Belfast tweeted on Monday.

She was referring to the discovery of a TNO or trans-Neptunian object, something which sits beyond Neptune in the outer solar system. This one is 160,000 times fainter than Neptune, which means the icy world could be less than 200 kilometres in diameter. It’s currently above the plane of the solar system and with every passing day, it’s moving upwards – a fact that makes it an oddity.

The TNO orbits in a plane that’s tilted 110 degrees to the plane of the solar system. What’s more, it swings around the sun backwards unlike most of the other objects in the solar system. With this in mind, the team that discovered the TNO nicknamed it “Niku” after the Chinese adjective for rebellious.

To grasp how truly rebellious it is, remember that a flat plane is the signature of a planetary system, as a star-forming gas cloud creates a flat disk of dust and gas around it. “Angular momentum forces everything to have that one spin direction all the same way,” says Bannister. “It’s the same thing with a spinning top, every particle is spinning the same direction.”

That means anything that doesn’t orbit within the plane of the solar system or spins in the opposite direction must have been knocked off course by something else. “It suggests that there’s more going on in the outer solar system than we’re fully aware of,” says Matthew Holman at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, part of the team that discovered Niku using the Panoramic Survey Telescope and Rapid Response System 1 Survey (Pan-STARRS 1) on Haleakala, Maui.

And it’s the unknown that excites astronomers. “Whenever you have some feature that you can’t explain in the outer solar system, it’s immensely exciting because it’s in some sense foreshadowing a new development,” says Konstantin Batygin at the California Institute of Technology.
Planet Nine

He should know – Batygin was one of two astronomers who earlier this year announced that the presence of another highly inclined group of objects could be pointing toward a large undiscovered world, perhaps 10 times as massive as Earth, lurking even further away – the so-called Planet Nine.

Upon further analysis, the new TNO appears to be part of another group orbiting in a highly inclined plane, so Holman’s team tested to see if their objects could also be attributed to the gravitational pull of Planet Nine.

It turns out Niku is too close to the solar system to be within the suggested world’s sphere of influence, so there must be another explanation. The team also tried to see if an undiscovered dwarf planet, perhaps similar to Pluto, could supply an explanation, but didn’t have any luck. “We don’t know the answer,” says Holman.

Bannister couldn’t be more thrilled. “It’s wonderful that it’s so confusing,” she says. “I’m looking forward to seeing what the theoretical analysists do once they get their hands on this one.”

But Batygin isn’t jumping up and down just yet. “As they say in the paper, what they have right now is a hint,” he says. “If this hint develops into a complete story that would be fantastic.”

The bold text pretty much explains what it is.

Very confused by the assumption of the ice world. Estimating the size of a TNO is based on the reflectivity opportunity of the surface. What if the object is not covered by ice ? Then it can be much larger and/or closer to the observer. The orbit is also not clear. The assumption of a certain orbit of rotation around the Sun may not be true. Maybe guests fly to us (or former owners) that we were promised C's? Clearly, if it is not frozen piece of ice with a diameter of 200 km, no scientist would not allow to speak. So one hope for the C's.

youlik said:
Very confused by the assumption of the ice world. Estimating the size of a TNO is based on the reflectivity opportunity of the surface. What if the object is not covered by ice ? Then it can be much larger and/or closer to the observer. The orbit is also not clear.

The hypothesized albedo (reflectivity) does indeed affect size estimate but it doesn't affect the orbit. The object could be bigger if reflectivity is overestimated (which could be the case). However, the main point of the paper is the orbit or the "Kiku" (which is determined through several observations of the object through time, occupying different positions on the sky every time). From the paper here are its orbital elements:

The elements are inclination i = 110.2929 ± 0.0004 [degrees], longitude of ascending node = 243.8181 ± 0.0001 [degrees], semi-major axis a = 35.724932± 0.006153 AU, eccentricity e = 0.333599± 0.000144; and argument of pericenter [omega] = 322.593 ± 0.015. Pericenter passage will occur at 2451287.350 ± 1.105. The current barycentric distance of Niku is 25.892 ± 0.001, well inside the orbit of Neptune.

The significance of these parameters are well explained in wikipedia for example:

oimg144.gif

The full preprint of the paper can be read here.

FWIW - University of Arkansas

Physics Colloquium Topic: Planet X and Periodic Mass Extinctions

Daniel Whitmire, a retired astrophysicist and current faculty member in the Department of Mathematical Sciences, will discuss his research on the relationship between the "Planet X" and periodic mass extinctions on Earth in a colloquium scheduled for 4 p.m. today, Friday, Feb. 24, in room 133 of the Physics Building.

Whitmire published findings in the January 2016 issue of Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society indicating the as-yet-undiscovered "Planet X" triggers comet showers linked to mass extinctions on Earth at intervals of approximately 27 million years.

Though scientists have been looking for Planet X for 100 years, the possibility that it's real got a big boost recently when researchers from Caltech inferred its existence based on orbital anomalies seen in objects in the Kuiper Belt, a disc-shaped region of comets and other larger bodies beyond Neptune. If the Caltech researchers are correct, Planet X is about 10 times the mass of Earth and could currently be up to 1,000 times more distant from the sun.

Whitmire and his colleague, John Matese, first published research on the connection between Planet X and mass extinctions in the journal Nature in 1985 while working as astrophysicists at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Their work was featured in a 1985 Time magazine cover story titled, "Did Comets Kill the Dinosaurs? A Bold New Theory About Mass Extinctions."

Whitmire and Matese's theory is that as Planet X orbits the sun, its tilted orbit slowly rotates and Planet X passes through the Kuiper belt of comets every 27 million years, knocking comets into the inner solar system. The dislodged comets not only smash into the Earth, they also disintegrate in the inner solar system as they get nearer to the sun, reducing the amount of sunlight that reaches the Earth.

Back
Top Bottom