Science Says Dogs Are Smarter Than Cats

Keit

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
There were numerous studies in the past that tried to determine who's smarter between our two most favorite choices for pets. But this recent study looks particular interesting.

_https://theheartysoul.com/age-old-debate-science-says-dogs-smarter-cats/?utm_source=DKB&utm_content=62682-3QDS
It’s long been debated which is smarter – dogs or cats? Those in the dog camp claim that the ability to be trained makes man’s best friend the brainiest, while fans of felines argue that a cat’s nonchalance, independence, and high standards make it far superior. Cats were once worshipped as gods, after all.

However, science seems to have brought new evidence to the debate, something that will bring smug satisfaction to every “dog person”.

It turns out that dogs have many more neurons in the cerebral cortex of their brains than cats. These special cells are associated with various signs of intelligence like thinking, planning, and complex behavior.

Published in the journal Frontiers in Neuroanatomy, the study didn’t just focus on our favorite pets. The international team of scientists looked at the brains of various carnivore species too. Interestingly, they found that only the smaller species – dogs and smaller – have higher densities of cortical neurons. Striped hyenas have fewer than dogs, for example, and brown bears have the same number as cats.

Meanwhile, raccoons, despite having small, cat-sized brains, have as many neurons as dogs, making them “comparable to primates in neuronal density”, and therefore rather smart. No wonder they can solve puzzles and are famed for being cunning thieves.

What’s more, domestication didn’t seem to have any effect on neuronal composition in the brains of the carnivores tested in the study.

“I believe the absolute number of neurons an animal has, especially in the cerebral cortex, determines the richness of their internal mental state and their ability to predict what is about to happen in their environment based on past experience,” said study author Suzana Herculano-Houzel of Vanderbilt University in a statement.

Here's the link to the actual study.

It made me think about something else I heard from a colleague, a veterinary ophthalmologist. She was talking about the structure of the eye, and particularly the optic nerve. She said that there are differences between dogs and cats, and that it has to do with myelination. This, for example:

The optic nerve enters the eye through the lamina cribrosa of the sclera. In cats the normal optic nerve loses its myelination as it enters the eye. In dogs the nerve retains some degree of myelination as it passes through the sclera and loses the myelin as it radiates into the nerve fiber layer of the retina. The shape of the optic nerve in cats is normally fairly circular, whereas in dogs the extent of myelination determines the shape—which may be quite irregular, especially in some breeds.

And myelin's function is main function is to speed the relay of electricity messages in the nervous system.

Don't know if these differences somehow affect dogs and cats intelligence, but who knows. In any case, I do belive that cats have intelligence, just of a different time. Perhaps more "instinctual" smarts.

Although I long saw myself as more of a cat person, I have thought for a while that dogs are smarter, at least as far as human standards go. Though of course with both, intelligence still varies from one individual to the next. Some cats are smarter than some dogs.

My mum used to always insist some of her cats would just refuse to respond to their own names, but I think with some of them, they just didn't realize that was their name. I'm convinced dogs have a better capacity for understanding human language.

I guess the solution to the situation is a Maine Coon. They really are sorta like dogs. Mine knows her name, learns very quickly, follows me everywhere I go, "talks" to us, knows how to ask for things, knows what 'come' means and responds to it, etc.

We often contrast the Maine Coon to the other, ordinary house cat we have, and it's true: nobody really has a relationship with the other cat that is more than casual or "feed me" type of thing. But the Maine Coon really likes and wants human companionship, can regulate her own behavior when she knows something is undesirable, and just, in general, is way more interactive in an intelligent way. Yes, there are peculiarities of catness that are still there, but she does learn, adapt and change her behavior when needed.

I can attest to the awesomeness of Maine Coons. We have two that love interacting with us. Theo is more skittish, especially around strangers, but a real lover if he likes you. Louie is more doggie-like, plays his own version of fetch and isn't bothered at all about hanging out with strangers. They both follow just like dogs and will sit on command (if there's a treat involved). They are much more interactive than any non-Maine Coon cat I've ever had.

Cats are different than dogs. Can you compare a wolf with a lion or a tiger? Their intelligence is attached with how they live and how they live to survived. You can not say: the wolf is more intelligent than a tiger. So I think same with cats and dogs. They have their ADN, their past as an animal, their knowledge as a cat or a dog. I love cats and I think they are extremely intelligent. I think we can say that cats are more individualistic than dogs. And dogs are more "human" because they are neared the humans, so they know how to deal with us. Is this a prove of intelligence? maybe. Cats also are more wild, so that also showes of their intelligence. ;D

loreta said:
Cats are different than dogs. Can you compare a wolf with a lion or a tiger? Their intelligence is attached with how they live and how they live to survived. You can not say: the wolf is more intelligent than a tiger. So I think same with cats and dogs. They have their ADN, their past as an animal, their knowledge as a cat or a dog. I love cats and I think they are extremely intelligent. I think we can say that cats are more individualistic than dogs. And dogs are more "human" because they are neared the humans, so they know how to deal with us. Is this a prove of intelligence? maybe. Cats also are more wild, so that also showes of their intelligence. ;D

Well, that's a standard argument, but I've got dogs, had and have cats, and until the Maine Coon, didn't really suss out what the differences were. I think I can say that cats have a lot more instincts controlling them, and those instincts are "smart" in a hardwired sort of way, for sure. But as for having an open intelligence that takes in new information and modifies behavior, nope, most cats don't have it. Yeah, their owners will "read" certain behaviors as "intelligence" but it's instinct. Yes, that is a form of intelligence, just not the "open system" kind.

Seems there was info re dogs vs cats not too long ago (not the most recent already referenced) - can't recall if from TV or reading - but that dogs' power of observation set them apart from cats. Found this article from 2010:

Dogs are better than cats. DEAL WITH IT!
By CATLIN MARIE ELLIOTT on December 2, 2010

In a recent documentary I watched on Animal Planet, they explained a new and exciting discovery in the canine world of science. Dogs have developed an astonishing new trait to read and process human gestures and emotions. Now for us dog lovers we've already known this for years. But now there is proof! When two humans look upon each other we instinctively look from left o right when examining the expressions of one another. This enables us to make decisions on how to act or react in varying situations. Now this process of observation has recently been discovered to be used as dogs as well. When confronting a human a dog will instinctively look from left to right to gauge a human's expression to better understand what is requires of it at that time. This ability has made the dog such a suitable companion for humans because they can ACTUALLY figure out what we want. Want to know the kicker? Dogs only do this to humans. When looking at other dogs they simply gaze straight ahead. A dog will only look left from right when looking upon a human.

Another interesting point brought up in this film is a dog's ability to understand human gesture. When a human points to an object the dog will acknowledge and understand the meaning behind it then seek out what is being pointed at. In some cases they have even been able to pick up on something as subtle as glancing towards an object. This is a task even chimps are incapable of doing. Unlike most animals, who make their own decision regardless of a human presence, a dog will wait for the input of the human before making a decision.

What do you guys think? Do you think dogs could have evolved to better work with humans? Or are people just crazy? Could your cat beat a dog in fight? I personally think my cat could but that's a bit irrelevant to this blog now isn't it?

_http://www.personal.psu.edu/afr3/blogs/SIOW/2010/12/dogs-are-better-than-cats-deal-with-it.html

I believe the second paragraph contains the info that I most remember from what I saw or read. As for the last paragraph, I recently saw a story on TV of a cat that fends off alligators - won't allow them to come onto 'his' territory. That cat was fearless!

Although I prefer dogs, spending time here on the forum has shown me that cats can be very special.

Wow, I just saw picture os Main Coon cats... they are extraordinay. How beautiful!

I agree Laura, cats are more instinc.

Back
Top Bottom