The Health & Wellness Show: ...The Ups and Downs of Coffee

Voyageur

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
The Health & Wellness Show: Hello Darkness My Old Friend: The Ups and Downs of Caffeine

Caught the show in rerun and appreciated the conversation about Coffee, along with some of the science both for and against.

Doug brought up testing by stopping and then starting - not much difference for him. Elliot mentioned testing by drinking coffee after breakfast rather than before, and that was interesting. Coffee beans soaking in pre-shipment phase by sitting in pesticide chemical vats was duly noted and understood - that alone should provide pause for people. Anyway, each of you brought in interesting things to say on the subject, so thanks - and to Zoya too (cat grandpa :D ).

Personal observations (without the benefit of making better observations by stopping coffee drinking for a bit): I enjoy coffee every day; a lot, or a little, as long is it is good coffee. I'll avoid it if it can't be sourced as organic, with fair trade sought. On an individual bases, I can drink it up until the point of going to bed, and falling asleep immediately is not difficult (this was brought up in the show). Also, and I might have missed its mention on the show, if it was mentioned, is that among the Caesar Soup recipe etc. hanging on the fridge, I've this old eating for blood types list, and on that list, coffee is either discouraged or favorable for some blood types. The reason given for let's say A+ type is that typically those with that blood type do not create enough stomach acid to help with food digestion - or what have you, so coffee helps to balance - I don't know about that empirically and others may have a different take on it. Being of that type, though, if I drink poor quality, weak, mild or medium roast coffee, it leaves me nauseated with an upset stomach. Commercial coffee of any kind does the same. Drinking strong dark (the darker the better) roasted coffee is optimal, having no recognizable stomach issues with it.

Seems like coffee drinking takes on so many individual characteristics that are different with people. Programing or not, drinking coffee with family and friends is always enjoyable; so coffee has it's sociable ways of helping to bring out conversation with some, yet it's not the rule. Coffee and smoking, for me anyway, goes hand in hand - some would say that's two strikes against.

Mod's note: Edited to fix the link

Goemon_ said:
Thanks for the link.
This show doesn't appear as archived on the main radio sott page.

Yes, and it doesn't appear in the RSS feed.

Not sure what's going on there. It shows up on the main SOTT page and on radio.sott.net for me, but I don't see it in the RSS listing.

OK, it's fixed now! You should be able to see it on the main page, on radio.sott.net and in the RSS feed.

Enjoy!

Thanks! And thank you for the show itself: many issues with caffeine became much clearer for me now. :)

Back
Top Bottom