What globe? Flat Earth and Flat-Earthers

Pashalis said:
Divide By Zero said:
Niall said:
Laura said:
That being said, I think it must be kinda scary to live in that kind of inner reality in a 3D/4D world.

They are where they are, I guess. They themselves probably aren't frightened by any 'lack' because they don't perceive such.
It's an automatic response to avoid suffering.

I think that might be the crux of the matter. All and everything that might potentially lead to suffering, or more specifically, something that the hared wired brain perceives as hurtful, must be avoided at all costs.

I don't think that it's a defense mechanism per se as much as it is an incapacity (acquired or otherwise) or at the least, laziness of the mind. It is true that a salient feature of being is suffering, but there is also a joy (not happiness) in learning and moving forward. The individuals who are trapped in circular reasoning like flat earthers aren't moving anywhere, unless one considers their contractile movement being toward some shared imaginary world and away from reality. It doesn't ultimately protect from suffering, it only delays it. And on the other hand, it prevents from participating in being and experiencing the joy of it. OSIT

Divide By Zero said:
Niall said:
Laura said:
That being said, I think it must be kinda scary to live in that kind of inner reality in a 3D/4D world.

They are where they are, I guess. They themselves probably aren't frightened by any 'lack' because they don't perceive such.

Yeah, good point I think.

Though, life is suffering, but if you suffer in the right way, you learn to rise above your own shortcomings. And become better human beings, and find meaning in life. That's the whole point of it.

There is no growth of consciousness without pain.

Perhaps many OP's rather avoid suffering these days. Why try to see the world as 3D, when there are groups of people you can join who see it as 2D. Why become more human, when you can pretend you are dog. Or even be surgically changed to look like a cat.

Things like that...

I was under the impression that OP's mainly just mimic others for the sake of wanting to be part of the herd because they grave for lower centre (attention)

Though perhaps with the postmodernism age, where subjectivity is celebrated, and you can become whatever what makes you 'happy'. Op's fall back to their own animal like state, and frankly for a lack of a better word just become retarded.

I guess that's what happens in a environment that is not stimulating enough to function as a school.

Ant22 said:
To quote Tertium Organum, if they are in fact hardcore Organic Portals they may still perceive the globe as flat, just vividly moving flat.

If I remember correctly, when Laura quoted the below passage in one of her books she said her and Ark had doubts about including it since this theory is not backed up by scientific evidence. Well, it looks like the Flat Earth bunch might have in fact provided a bit of that evidence :)

(…) Animals see two dimensions. They constantly sense the third dimension but do not see it. They sense it as something transient, as we sense time. The surfaces which animals see possess for them many strange properties; these are, first of all numerous and varied movements. It has been said already that all illusory movements must be perfectly real for them. These movements seem real to us also, but we know them to be illusory, as for instance the turning round of a house as we drive past, the springing up of a tree from round the corner, the movement of the moon among the clouds and so on.

(…) In addition, many other movements will exist for animals which we do not suspect. Actually a great many objects, completely motionless for us - indeed all objects - must appear to animals as moving. And it is precisely in these movements that the third dimension of solids will be manifested for them, i.e. the third dimension of solids will appear to them as motion.

(...) Let us try to imagine how an animal perceives objects of the external world. Let us suppose that a large disc is placed before an animal and, beside it, a large sphere of the same diameter. Facing them directly at a certain distance, the animal will see two circles. If it starts walking round them, the animal will notice that the sphere remains a circle but the disc gradually narrows and becomes a narrow strip. As the animal continues to move round it, the strip begins to widen and gradually becomes again a circle. The sphere will not change its form as the animal moves round it, but strange phenomena will begin to occur in it as the animal draws near. Let us try to understand how the animal will perceive the surface of the sphere as distinct from the surface of the disc. One thing is certain - it will perceive a spherical surface differently from us. We perceive convexity or sphericity as a property common to many surfaces. Owing to the nature of its mental apparatus, the animal should perceive sphericity as an individual property of the given sphere. What should sphericity look like, taken as an individual property of a given sphere? We can say with the utmost conviction that sphericity will appear to the animal as a movement of the surface it sees.

Fascinating. I spent a few minutes trying to visualize how the sphere would 'move' from the animal's perspective, and I'm pretty sure I ran across some animations when I was a kid that would fit the movement (still trying to find them).
I did find the following that may give some insight - Patrick Hughes on reverspective. He mentions in the second video how he is severely short sighted (and was without glasses until 14) and also mentions being able to move structures (3D?) around with the mind as a magical gift humans have.
Perhaps then part of the difference between OP's/non-OPs is not being able to model/manipulate objects in 3D in their own head?

https://youtu.be/U5uCRE-ShlM

https://youtu.be/yhnIGNHuORs

SocietyoftheSpectacle said:
Wouldnt that cut both ways ?
I mean the warped windows theory ?

Yup, it would.

mkrnhr said:
Pashalis said:
Divide By Zero said:
Niall said:
Laura said:

I think that might be the crux of the matter. All and everything that might potentially lead to suffering, or more specifically, something that the hared wired brain perceives as hurtful, must be avoided at all costs.

I don't think that it's a defense mechanism per se as much as it is an incapacity (acquired or otherwise) or at the least, laziness of the mind. It is true that a salient feature of being is suffering, but there is also a joy (not happiness) in learning and moving forward. The individuals who are trapped in circular reasoning like flat earthers aren't moving anywhere, unless one considers their contractile movement being toward some shared imaginary world and away from reality. It doesn't ultimately protect from suffering, it only delays it. And on the other hand, it prevents from participating in being and experiencing the joy of it. OSIT

Yes, "incapacity (acquired or otherwise) or at the least, laziness of the mind" might describe it better.

I seem to remember Charles Hinton mentioning this too.
He put down the lack of perspective in animals as a Time thing,
an inability to compare one moment with another.

So there is no Visual comparison to create a sequence of events,
just the ever vivid NOW.

The mention of self protection of the emotions,
I found interesting too.

Like that branch of the truth movement that claim everything is a Hoax and nobody dies.
A possible reason for this is to Protect a person from the very heavily negative emotional programming from News programmes.

Its difficult to remain positive in the face of the DOOM Laden Tones of regular TV news coverage.

So some just choose to turn off their belief in whats being reported.

The Emotional centre denies input from the intellectual centre, in order to remain positive.

RT had a good video (interactive) that can pan by pushing the arrows in the upper left hand corner of the video while in play.

Published time: 4 Oct, 2017 15:12 https://www.rt.com/news/405678-flat-earth-theory-space-video/

snip said:
The first-ever 360-degree footage captured during a spacewalk gives people an astronaut’s eye view of the planet from outside the International Space Station.

It was filmed in August by cosmonauts Sergey Ryazansky and Fedor Yurchikhin as they carried out hours of maintenance work on the low-orbit space hub.

While the breathtaking footage gives people the chance to gawk at the spherical beauty of our world, and view places such as the US and Cuba from above the surly bonds of Earth, not everyone is convinced it’s real.

A number of people, who apparently subscribe to the pre-3rd Century belief system that the world is a flat disk, have cried foul, labelling the footage ‘fake’ and the product of CGI.

https://youtu.be/W9u297hArbI

There are silly comments made in rebuttal to the video, with one silly (and a good reply) comment below:

“Why fish eye lens? Is there something to hide?,” said a person writing under the pseudonym ‘Truth’.

Their question was answered with the help of ‘Tim,’ who suggested that the spacewalk was actually filmed underwater.

You always need fish eyes if you are underwater. { :lol: } Which these ‘cosmonauts’ (read ‘aquanauts’) are,” they said.

In conclusion after more comments:

In the 360 clip, the solar panels and airlock of the ISS can be seen clearly against the backdrop of deep space.

That hasn’t stopped people from surmising that the absence of alien lifeforms means the footage is not genuine.

Just FYI: Michael Tellinger, who has done a lot of pretty good research on the super-ancient ruins in South Africa, as well as ancient acoustics technology and the Ubuntu community movement, has bought into the Flat Earth stuff as well.

His main argument seems to be that the curvature of the Earth is supposed to be different than what can be seen of buildings from a large distance. And I guess it is a pretty convincing argument if you don't look into things like atmospheric refraction of light.

He is completely sold on it, saying that "we have been lied to about so much" and "this is the real test". It's really sad that even seemingly very intelligent people can fall for what seems to be a psyop/disinformation campaign to discredit all alternative research.

Attachments

• looming_refraction.JPG
    looming_refraction.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 130
Had a look around and I don't see Michael Tellinger as being any sort of reputable authority. The fact that he has bought into this nonsense is confirmation that he is neither reputable nor sane.

Well about a picture is a thousand time better than words...

Solar_System_Flat_Earth_Societ.jpg

Quantum Quirks -- Sott.net

Watched a vid from the options that came up at the end of the Spacewalk filmed in 360 - A man falling from space to earth surface. Got a chuckle from these comments:

Andrew2 months ago
the earth is a triangle so stop lying to yourselves 😡

Cheesus Chrisp
1 month ago (edited)
When you're chillin' in space and she texts you her parents arent home

Rasheed Henry1 month ago
why isn't the earth spinning

Thrilling Hazardous
1 month ago
I lost my brain cells by reading the comment section

:-P

p.s. There are some very astute explanations to what most would consider 'dumb' questions in the comments as well - quite educational for those who didn't get sufficient science lessons in school.

Had a look around and I don't see Michael Tellinger as being any sort of reputable authority. The fact that he has bought into this nonsense is confirmation that he is neither reputable nor sane.
Than you! I could have not said it better. Also there is the Ubuntu political party and the Ubuntuplanet movement which none promote researched facts.

Miles Mathis has just published a paper on the long-running Flat Earth hoax submitted by another writer.
http://mileswmathis.com/flat.pdf

Well, I read this piece and was not impressed. That whole "elite families" business is a dead giveaway to serious nonsense. Geeze, talk about "discredit-by-association"!!!

I say this mainly because I've been doing genealogy for about 20 years now - sometimes heavy duty research into families - and I can tell ya that just because a person is a member of a certain family that does not mean they are politically or religiously or any other way "in cahoots" with some political/religious/other agenda. Geeze, that is pretty much the whole David Icke schtick!

However, having said that, I DO agree that the Flat Earth business is some sort of psy-op though whether it is intentionally so from the conscious level of the perpetrators, it's hard to tell. One thing we've learned is that people can be programmed simply by growing up in their families/societies without any need for any covert input.

Back
Top Bottom