New Forum layout April 2018

Thank you for bringing this issue on. For me it was a great function of the old forum which helped to print entire thread in a text file. I guess it might be something to consider for future development of the platform. As I researched the topic, it seems to be an issue that bothers people on many other forums. Some of the forums have this function built in by the admins because there is no easy way to create such a readable text file in a browser.

I have tried several ways in Firefox, including Page Zipper, but with no success. Probably will have to use Chrome for that purpose when you say it works. Thanks for all the tips!

i think this new one is great !
it actually takes me to the last post in the thread
i want ! what ever that might be... thank you all

Well, just tried this... No dice! I think it has to do with the "flex" CSS rules, but overriding them doesn't solve the problem... Still only 1 page in print preview.

But then I discovered in Firefox, there is a "Simplify Page" checkbox, and if I tick that, it looks much better and all pages are printable (albeit with avatars).

In Chrome, by default it looks pretty good already.

The weird part is that if I include my print CSS, it breaks Firefox's Simplified print preview, but in Chrome, it makes it look better!

So, different browsers do different things for print preview with complicated CSS. Which is annoying...

No wonder somebody made an add-on for it: they needed to generate a very simple HTML page that works nicely with Print Preview on all browsers.

Such a simple thing, yet so complicated in the end! :nuts:

I was actually hoping there already was an add-on that could easily be installed - or that I overlooked this functionality. ;-) I really appreciate your looking into it and explaining the difficulties behind it Scottie! :flowers:

Since this forum version is very new there will probably be add-ons created for it with time. At this stage it would be quite a bit of time and hassle to build it - with limited return on investment on that time really.

Even without this function I like the new forum more than the old one. I'm not too fussed about the layout but the functionalities are much better overall. I really like the notifications and 'likes' and the whole forum has a much more sleek 'feel' to it. So if something can be done about that 'print thread' function at some point - it would be sweet. But if not, I'll just continue to enjoy all the other toys the new forum comes with! :thup:

Fun facts:

1. The new forum means the backup archive file for all of cassiopaea.org is 23% smaller than before. I think the new forum optimizes attachments and avatars and such. I also noticed the database is a bit smaller than before even though we lost no posts or other data during the import.

2. The overall server load has dropped by 33% since we upgraded to XenForo (and traffic is the same). So, even though it does much more, it's WAAAY more efficient.

:cool2:

So if something can be done about that 'print thread' function at some point - it would be sweet. But if not, I'll just continue to enjoy all the other toys the new forum comes with! :thup:
I was just thinking about this the other day and I was wondering... did that print function work for public and private threads? Not that I'm too concerned about it but if someone can print a private thread and take it with them then maybe it's not so private after all?

I was just thinking about this the other day and I was wondering... did that print function work for public and private threads? Not that I'm too concerned about it but if someone can print a private thread and take it with them then maybe it's not so private after all?

As far as I understand that, if you have access to a private thread, you can print it as any other threads.

However, although it is private, it is up to each member to keep it private by not sharing it by any kind of ways.

I'm tinkering with a PHP script that takes a thread single page, crawls the paging navigation, gathers all the articles/posts from each page and stuffs them into a complete single page. Then I can print a PDF from that with an PDF printer installed in the Operating System. All a bit hackish but kinda works, though I don't know how much server load that would cause if used publicly. I can send the script if there is interest.

As far as I understand that, if you have access to a private thread, you can print it as any other threads.

However, although it is private, it is up to each member to keep it private by not sharing it by any kind of ways.
The honor system.. That's kinda what I figured. Thanks Gandalf. I had tried to reply to your post over the weekend but for some reason I couldn't find this thread no matter what I tried. Guess I still have to get used to the new layout. :rolleyes:

I'd like to make one small request. The forum Login dialogue shows the selection box for Stay Logged-In checked by default, requiring members to click on the selection box to remove the checkmark if we want our sessions to eventually time out and log us off if we happen to wander away rather than remembering to log out. I don't know what other members prefer, but I'd prefer the default to be that the Stay Logged-In box is not checked by default. I think leaving members logged-in forever creates a security vulnerability.

The honor system.. That's kinda what I figured. Thanks Gandalf. (...)

Hey pete02, yes, threads in the private forum were printable too. In all honesty, if someone really wanted to share the content of that section of the forum they could take screenshots. I guess that's one of the reasons why access to that section is not given automatically but it is conditional to minimise the risk posed by people who do not take the word 'private' seriously - or have dodgy intentions.

As for me, I was mostly printing the long threads (iodine, EE, Cesar as Jesus, Syria, etc.) and even though they are public I still have a passcode on my kindle to protect it. Not to mention ensuring strategic enclosure in case I lose it or leave it at work. I somehow don't fancy explaining the content of the Syria thread to my boss :nuts:

Also, there may be some value in having the 'print' button available since I saw guests print threads here. I myself did much more printing as a 'fence sitter' than as an active member. It may be an effective way for someone to get to know the forum before hopping in to say 'hi' but it's just my projective speculation since that's what I did.

It was me who started the topic of printing threads so I thought I' reply to your concerns :-)

It was me who started the topic of printing threads so I thought I' reply to your concerns :-)
I appreciate that Ant22 but it was an open question to anyone really. As I stated earlier it's not a big concern of mine as I'm pretty sure that most private information is thru PM's anyway. I just had a couple of scenarios cross my brain at the time so I decided to ask. I do trust the members here and I hope no one was offended by my asking. If so, my apologies. :-)

Back
Top Bottom